Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Trailer House Axle Trailer - Any Advice?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted April 10, 2010 - 11:44 PM

A friend of mine want to give me a homemade 5x8 trailer with a trailer house axle under it. I figure it would be perfect for picking up my next GT treasure(s). I have heard some so-so things about trailer house axles. It does have a set of road-ready Kuhmo tires on it and I know some of the trailer house tires are rated for short distances, etc. The frame is in good shape and the axle looks HEAVY DUTY. I am skeptical about how the rims mount to the axle though. Any advice???

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 11, 2010 - 05:16 AM

Here in Nova Scotia,you can't build a trailer with mobile home axles and wheels on it,it won't pass the motor vehicle inspection.I would say check your local laws and make sure you are allowed to run them on the road,if you can then go for it.

Edited by mjodrey, April 11, 2010 - 05:28 AM.

#3 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 11, 2010 - 06:04 AM

Do you mean the removable axles that they take off a park model after setting it in place or axles off a travel trailer?.......

I would think that the removable ones would still have quality bearings and hubs on them, as they are used over and over.....I may be wrong.

I used an old travel trailer to build my landscape trailer.....3500# axles.....has electric brakes. The wheels have bolts instead of studs/nuts, but I see no problem with that.

Attached Thumbnails

• Landscape Trailer&.jpg
  • Landscape Trailer&.jpg

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 11, 2010 - 06:33 AM

I think he is talking about the two piece wheel design where the outer rim is bolted to the center using bolts and " wedges " ,but I could be wrong.

#5 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 11, 2010 - 06:48 AM

OK...know what you mean now......

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 11, 2010 - 01:02 PM

I don't think the wheels with the bolts and wedges would be a problem as that is what used to be used back in the day on the big trucks, especially Macks used them for a long time even after other companies quit using them. I am thinking though if it is the kind of axle that are left on the frame even after the home has been placed it may be an issue as those axles aren't meant for long term serviceability.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 11, 2010 - 01:03 PM

Do you mean the removable axles that they take off a park model after setting it in place or axles off a travel trailer?.......

I would think that the removable ones would still have quality bearings and hubs on them, as they are used over and over.....I may be wrong.

I used an old travel trailer to build my landscape trailer.....3500# axles.....has electric brakes. The wheels have bolts instead of studs/nuts, but I see no problem with that.

Poncho,
Not to go off topic but is that your water well right beside the trailer in the second pic?

#8 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 11, 2010 - 06:57 PM

Poncho,
Not to go off topic but is that your water well right beside the trailer in the second pic?

Yes...thats my well......I have 2, that one and a shallower dug well.

#9 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted April 20, 2010 - 01:00 PM

Open center rims are still being used all the time for trailer axles as well as for vocational trucks in the Class 7 and Class 8 catagories. These rims can be found on Macks, Western Star, Navistar/IH, Peterbuilt, Volvo and Kenworth trucks as well as others. It all comes down to how you intend to use the truck that decides the best choice of rim design.

While I deplore open-center rims on tag-along trailers, it is not the rim that I object to so much as it is the tires you must use. As someone who has owned many tag-along equipment floats in single axle, tandem axle and tri-axle configurations, I can attest to how easy it is to damage the tires to a "beyond repair" condition. The two floats we still have were spec'd to NOT use open center rims and tire problems have been almost a non-issue as a result. Just so you know, we never had a problem with the open center rims and wedges on our old floats as long as they were installed correctly, the rim/tire spun true and you re-torqued the nuts after driving a few miles. The driving allows the rim to "settle in" and the nuts can appear to be loose as a result so re-torquing is a must.

As for using a house trailer axle, it would likely be just fine for such a small trailer because you are not likely to put a load on that trailer that comes close to the weight rating of the axle. And if you did, you would be required by law to have either hydraulic or electric brakes on that axle. No matter what used trailer you buy, the first piece of business is to put in the air, remove the rim/tire and then service the wheel bearings properly by washing them clean in a solvent before repacking them with a good quality chassis grease.
  • jdslednut said thank you

#10 Gary Burnett OFFLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted April 22, 2010 - 11:43 PM

US DOT regulations forbade the use of mobile home axles and tires for on road trailers.Here in Virginia a trailer with mobile home axles or mobile home tires will not pass inspection and using mobile home tires will get a ticket.

#11 Rick OFFLINE  

Rick

Tractorholic

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted April 27, 2010 - 03:02 PM

I have a home made car trailer with the same kind of axles on it.Never had any problems with them.The rims mount onto the hubs using 5 retainer wedges,the biggest the you have to do is get the wheel true on the hub.Raise trailer on jack,put wheel on hub ,place wedges and lug bolts on the hub finger tighten all of them down spin tire check for straightness tighten all lugs even untill wheel is tight and true.

Rick
  • jdslednut said thank you