#1 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 05:52 PM

i got off of work came home and did some mowing and got to thinkin about how hot it was and how hot the kohler 582 was running wide open in this heat . im not sure what the safe temp is on a air cooled engine but i have know way of tellin what it is ether . but when its cold out the engine gets pretty warm im thinkin when it 100 deg. out ill bet it gets really warm . im thinkin a temp gauge would be a good thing and where would i get one ?

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 06:05 PM

Gary

Many years ago we had a snowmobile and my father got a temp. gauge for it. It was an air cooled twin 2 stroke. The gauge was a thermocouple type and the actual sensor portion replaced the washer on one of the spark plugs. So you were looking at the temp. of the head at the plug. I'm not sure what they have these days for air cooled engines. I would think it should be OK at full rpm's as long as you aren't loading the engine real heavy. You definitely need to make sure your cooling fins are clear. At 100 I would likely overheat before the tractor did.
  • Gary400 said thank you

#3 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 06:27 PM

Gary

Many years ago we had a snowmobile and my father got a temp. gauge for it. It was an air cooled twin 2 stroke. The gauge was a thermocouple type and the actual sensor portion replaced the washer on one of the spark plugs. So you were looking at the temp. of the head at the plug. I'm not sure what they have these days for air cooled engines. I would think it should be OK at full rpm's as long as you aren't loading the engine real heavy. You definitely need to make sure your cooling fins are clear. At 100 I would likely overheat before the tractor did.

lol i did get a little hot also . my dad has to old sleds that dont run any more i may go see if they have a temp gauge on them . thanks for the help .

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 08:14 PM

I don't know what too high of a temp would be but I would imagine it isn't much over 340 degrees F. and I think that would be pushing it. You could always get an infrared thermometer. I have one from when I used to run the nitro r/c cars and if those got over 300 you were pushing it and needed to richen the mixture.

#5 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 09:01 PM

i can put a oil temp gauge in i guess . on the bottom of the oil pan ( front or back i think ) there is a second hole that is plugged i could use it .

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 09:04 PM

That is a good idea, just make sure the probe doesn't go in too far or just make sure there are no clearance issues with the crank, I don't think it would be a problem since the hole is so low in the pan but never hurts to double check.

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,589 Thanks
  • 3,904 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 09:15 PM

Look for a Volkswagon shop that specializes in the older air cooled models. They should stock aftermarket add-on oil and head temp sensors.

#8 89YT12 OFFLINE  

89YT12

• Member No: 4980
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 09:41 PM

here is a few ebay finds on head temp gauges

Faria Coral Series Cylinder Head Temp Gauge L678-13009 | eBay

52mm OBX Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge Black Face | eBay

Auto Meter 3336 Gauge Cylinder Head Temp 140-340 | eBay

i may have to order a few for my air cooled toys

#9 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 10:00 PM

here is a few ebay finds on head temp gauges

Faria Coral Series Cylinder Head Temp Gauge L678-13009 | eBay

52mm OBX Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge Black Face | eBay

Auto Meter 3336 Gauge Cylinder Head Temp 140-340 | eBay

i may have to order a few for my air cooled toys

i dont see where the say they are for air cooled engines or am i just missing it ?

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 05:47 AM

Gary, for an air cooled engine would it be better to have the sensor on the head than in the oil? I think the head mounted sensor would respond faster if you were mowing and grass plugged the air inlets for instance. It would take some time for the oil to heat up wouldn't it? On the old snowmobile (a 1969 Skidoo Nordic 400cc rotax twin) the fan pulled air across the cylinders from side to side so one cylinder ran hotter. It seemed to me the gauge went to 400F.

#11 89YT12 OFFLINE  

89YT12

• Member No: 4980
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 05:12 PM

i dont see where the say they are for air cooled engines or am i just missing it ?

i think the are for either one, but they do not go into a water jacket on the head, because the idea of a head temp gauge is just that, not a coolent temp

#12 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 05:31 PM

i think the are for either one, but they do not go into a water jacket on the head, because the idea of a head temp gauge is just that, not a coolent temp

makes since i guess that would be right .

#13 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 06:50 PM

Gary, for an air cooled engine would it be better to have the sensor on the head than in the oil? I think the head mounted sensor would respond faster if you were mowing and grass plugged the air inlets for instance. It would take some time for the oil to heat up wouldn't it? On the old snowmobile (a 1969 Skidoo Nordic 400cc rotax twin) the fan pulled air across the cylinders from side to side so one cylinder ran hotter. It seemed to me the gauge went to 400F.

money wise the oil temp would be better the CHT kits are way high . and as long as you dont let it get hot enough to start breaking the oil down your engine should be fine . when the oil gets hot enough to break down is when thing start going bad and metal parts that aren't suppose rub in there start rubbing .and thousands of an inch turn into hundreds of an inch real fast .

#14 mbulldog2001 OFFLINE  

mbulldog2001

• Member No: 5298
  • 0 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 01:37 PM

i have seen some of the ones they use on go karts, might work for this