• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whitelt120 OFFLINE  

whitelt120

• Member No: 5024
  • 17 Thanks
  • 119 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 10:52 PM

Well i got a new seal kit for my 1655 rear cylinder and i had mt cousin rebuild it but when he took out the front seal he chiped a piece off now it wont seal up we r gonna try to jb weld it if that dosent work we will probly have to get a new cylinder i was wondering if they were hard to find a new one or would i have to find a used one

#2 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,283 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 07:18 AM

Well i got a new seal kit for my 1655 rear cylinder and i had mt cousin rebuild it but when he took out the front seal he chiped a piece off now it wont seal up we r gonna try to jb weld it if that dosent work we will probly have to get a new cylinder i was wondering if they were hard to find a new one or would i have to find a used one

What actually was chipped?? The seal or the housing.BTW the seal where the shaft comes out is a dust seal more so then a oil pressure seal.The small o-ring behind and inside the housing is the more important part.If the housing at the oil seal is chipped I don't see why carefully applied JB weld or 5 minute expoxy won't work.I'am sure there maybe members on GT talk who may have one for sale.Hope the JB weld fixes you up and gets you going and you can always keep an eye out for one.Larry
  • whitelt120 said thank you

#3 whitelt120 OFFLINE  

whitelt120

• 17 Thanks
  • 119 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 10:53 AM

Well the wipe seal is what blew out, beacuse behind it is where it was chiped out on the cylinder. The o ring on the inside cant hold back the oil, sp the oil shoots through the whole that was chiped out. so we put jb weld on it to try to fill the hole in and we put it on the front seal to keep it from shooting out. We tried it out the next day to see if it would hold . the seal can't shoot out but the cylinder still leaks.

#4 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,283 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 01:44 PM

Sorry to hear that it's beyond fixing.If the lip that holds the o-ring is chipped out then it's time for a different cylinder.Larry.

#5 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 01:53 PM

I would bet a machine shop could make a new piece.

#6 whitelt120 OFFLINE  

whitelt120

• 17 Thanks
  • 119 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 11:07 PM

Yah we were wondering that. But if we can t we ve been try n to get a new cylinder tube thats all we need. We went to our local Massey Ferguson dealer and they said the couldn t get one, so im gonna call anther dealer thats a little farther a way.

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 08:41 AM

Those part are no longer available.
I would suggest a local Hydraulic repair shop. They can make parts or build a complete cylinder.
Also check Ebay. I have seen them on there occasionally.

#8 Ranchkingron OFFLINE  

Ranchkingron

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1613
  • 28 Thanks
  • 183 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 08:22 PM

Another idea may be to get a cylinder from a surplus outlet Ive had good luck with this place I found one for the FIL's tractor for a quarter of what they wanted at the dealer.

Surplus Center - Hydraulic Cylinders Pumps Motors

Ron