#16 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 08:06 PM

Welcome to GTTalk you will love that 400 i know i do mine .

#17 Rocktractor OFFLINE  

Rocktractor

• Member No: 5153
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 11:29 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome. All the posts were appreciated. I figure tractors are like motorcycles, even though I prefer Harleys I'll still ride and talk to other bike owners. So whether it's green, red, or blue, I like all tractors and I enjoy talking to people who own them.
According to the postings, it looks like my JD Model C400D is the first year it was made, 1975. I was hoping for a later year but it's still a good tractor that just needs a little TLC: Fluid & Filter changes mostly, along with a new set of rear tires. The hour meter is broken, and it stopped @ 400 hrs, but I'm sure that it has a lot more than that. Hopefully the posting that the Kohlers only last about 1200 hrs before they need work isn't always the case:mecry:. I'll post a picture in the future when I get some extra time, but right now I'm real busy with adding a garage to the side of my house. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone soon.

#18 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 06:14 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome. All the posts were appreciated. I figure tractors are like motorcycles, even though I prefer Harleys I'll still ride and talk to other bike owners. So whether it's green, red, or blue, I like all tractors and I enjoy talking to people who own them.
According to the postings, it looks like my JD Model C400D is the first year it was made, 1975. I was hoping for a later year but it's still a good tractor that just needs a little TLC: Fluid & Filter changes mostly, along with a new set of rear tires. The hour meter is broken, and it stopped @ 400 hrs, but I'm sure that it has a lot more than that. Hopefully the posting that the Kohlers only last about 1200 hrs before they need work isn't always the case:mecry:. I'll post a picture in the future when I get some extra time, but right now I'm real busy with adding a garage to the side of my house. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to chatting with everyone soon.

Kohlers can last longer than 1200 hours with proper maintenance, and some won't last that long if preventative maintenance was neglected. The good thing is that the older Kohlers are relatively easy to rebuild and are good candidates for a rebuild. Also repower engine kits are available, like from SEW. John Deere 400 Outdoor Power Equipment Repower from Small Engine Warehouse There are other repower options available also. But until it needs it, I wouldn't worry about it - just give it the TLC it deserves.
  • Rocktractor said thank you

#19 Rocktractor OFFLINE  

Rocktractor

• Member No: 5153
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 01:35 PM

Thanks! Sounds like things aren't as bad as they could've been.:smile1:

#20 better before OFFLINE  

better before

• Member No: 5240
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 08:14 PM

Welcome. Thanks for joining.

#21 Green216 OFFLINE  

Green216

• Member No: 4632
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted August 05, 2011 - 09:17 PM

I too have a 400, mine is a '79 I desperately want a loader for it but they are so hard to find. In addition to my 400, I have a 216, 2 212s and a 175......a few Hondas too but that's another story.......Good luck with your 400 it's an awesome machine!!

#22 Denny OFFLINE  

Denny

• Member No: 4845
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 18, 2011 - 11:44 AM

Welcome to GTtalk ......pictures?