#1 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 10:46 AM

Well My garden is surviving the heat for the nost part although production has been low, However I'm having a problem with My Zucchini and wondered if someone can tell me what is causing them to turn yellow & Die? Is it just the Heat or what? I was told that the soil lacks nutriants but that dosen't make sence to me when one plant is healthy & the one next to it shivels up & dies. Here are some pics. of the latest Zucchini Victim. As you can see the leaves looked fine & there were even 2 more Buds on it but yet I barely touched the root & it just came right out. Can any of you guys diagnois the problem causing this. Also , I have Tons of Tomatoes but None are Turning Red & Ripening yet! What's with that??? Should I use Miracle Grow to prevent this from happening to the others and will Miracle grow help my tomatoes or Not??

Attached Thumbnails

• Dead  Zucchini 1.jpg
  • Dead Zucchini 2.jpg

Edited by DanO, July 26, 2011 - 11:19 AM.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 11:13 AM

Have you been watering on a regular basis? I won't know your answer but figured I might ask a question that might help with the diagnosis.

#3 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 11:19 AM

Yes George, I water twice a day if I can, early morning before the sun hits the garden and early evening when the Garden is in shade again.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 11:21 AM

I have heard it suggested that if you are going to water to only do it at night after the sun has gone down. More then that then it is over watering. I am new to the garden thing and have no idea what I am doing. It all looks like weeds to me until the veggies start showing LOL

#5 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 11:36 AM

That's true, In The Past i allways just watered at night but with a Month of no rain & steady 90 to 100 degree temps everything was starting to look realy bad, that's why I've been watering so much. Now that we've had some rain & the Heat wave has broke I'll go back to just watering at night. Those Tomatoes realy have Me Puzzled.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 11:43 AM

This has definitely been a weird year. Our sweat corn is growing strangely as well. Some of the stalks are already 4' tall and looking great while others are not even a foot off the ground and everything in between the two. We haven't watered much at all other then maybe every other day and it isn't much. We also didn't do a good job planting everything, our little girl helped plant the seeds and nothing is in rows LOL.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 12:24 PM

They look sunburnt to me. You don't have vine beetles do you? The last place I had a garden 10 yrs ago I could never grow vining plants beetles would kill them. My new place the vining stuff is going gangbusters. I even have some watermelons growing and have never been able to raise them?
Yes George, I have had little luck with corn this year. First planting did not germinate, second planting was looking good till the deer got into it.
Third planting is very weak and the fourth planting is not looking like much germinated.
Deer have also eaten every leaf off the green beans?
I'm looking for an electric fence this weekend!!

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 02:19 PM

I am thinking some kind of insect too, boring into the root & destroying the root system. I'm not sure if a corn borer would attack these plants or not, but they can devastate a corn crop.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 05:21 PM

:ditto: on the bugs. May want to try a little Epson Salts or Sevin around the base of the plants.
  • DanO said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 07:26 PM

Look for something like this Cucumber Beetle It's what I always had problems with.
1597a.jpg
  • DanO said thank you

#11 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 08:05 PM

Well, I didn't really see any beetles but some leaves have bug holes so i took your advice and i sprayed all my remaining Zucchini & Eggplant plants at the base with 7. i had beetles only on my eggplants early in the season , sprayed them & they recovered well.
Noone seems to have any logical answer for the late Ripening Tomatoes yet???? I swear i must have 70 + Big Tomatoes & Dozens of cherry tomatoes that all look Great But Are All Still Green...if they all ripen at once the wife & i will be Very Busy.

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 08:51 PM

I think it's just part of the weird season we are having this year.
We finally had enough to have a platter of sliced tomatoes on the table last night.
If they ever ripen we will have a ton.

Or we are going to have to move South and develop a taste for Fried Green Tomatoes?

#13 Dirtdoc OFFLINE  

Dirtdoc

• Member No: 4434
  • 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 09:36 PM

Check the tips of the roots and see if they have been chewed off. With the heat a lot of bugs go underground to escape. If there are no bug activity on the roots, then I believe you may be watering too much. It is better to water 6" down once a week then to water 1" down every day. With shallow watering the roots will stay near the surface. Also if the leaves of your veggies get wet when you water, it is better to do it in the early morning so the leaves will dry quickly. Staying wet all night promotes disease problems. As far as your green tomato problem, as long as a tomato is taking on nutrients, it should continue to get bigger and stay green. Maybe all that watering is working against you. Try watering heavy only once a week....Good luck....Greg