Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 09:58 AM

Kind of. Phase one of the job I'm on is winding down, phase two will start soon. I took a voluntary lay-off, probably about two weeks. Might have to fire up the bass boat! Then there are all those tractor projects I never seem to have time to get to. First on the agenda, relax for a day or two and suck up some air conditioning!

#2 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 10:13 AM

I hear ya! I am off this week myself. We had to meet with the lawyers in the adoption case with out foster son, so I just took the week off. I did manage to sneak in fixing that roto-tiller in the same day, so I feel really good!

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 10:20 AM

I don't know how you guys feel about it but I find 1 week just flies by and it doesn't seem like a good break. I have 2 weeks starting Aug 29 and am looking forward to it. As usual I have a big list of jobs around the house and property to do, but at least I should be able to log some seat time.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 11:15 AM

Time off from work whether it is a vacation, layoff or the weekends does fly by way too fast but yet the work week drags on forever.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 04:39 PM

Sounds great, Gibby. Wish I could do that. Oh well, plenty of time this fall, once the House From He** is done.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 05:46 PM

I thought that an opportunity for VLO would come up for me this summer too Gibby....Alas, it was not to be LOL. I have a week of Vacation coming up at the beginning of October and another the last week of December. Seems like forever away right now though! Hope you get lots done and get rested up too!

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 08:17 PM

I've been going 7 days a week since mid April, except for 4 days off in early june. I'll be going at the same pace till Nov. Might get
5 or 6 days off in Sept. Man I'm waiting for the snow to fly, and be able to shut things down.

#8 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 09:17 PM

I've been going 7 days a week since mid April, except for 4 days off in early june. I'll be going at the same pace till Nov. Might get
5 or 6 days off in Sept. Man I'm waiting for the snow to fly, and be able to shut things down.

I don't miss those days. I quit doing 7 days a week several years ago. The opportunity is always there, but I'd rather have at least 1 day off a week. We generally work 4 10's and 2 8's.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 10:03 PM

I know what you mean... The end of last week, I was seriously looking at having a whole week off and all I could think about was that here it was Friday, and the end of that vacation was just 7 days away! I mean, how sad is it when you have not even started a week off and you are ALREADY thinking it's almost over!

But at least I will FINALLY get to sleep in late tomorrow.... I killed that damn rooster today! He now resides in the fridge, and not the chicken coop!

#10 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 10:45 PM

Sad part is when retirement comes along you will work 7 days a week and then wonder how you had time to WORK . LOL

#11 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 10:51 PM

I know what you mean about a week off being short. Back before I became voluntarily permanently unemployed (retired) I almost never had two weeks off at a time. It sucked but it was what it was. I had an alarm clock that crowed like a rooster on steroids and gave it to my son when I retired.

#12 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 05:43 AM

I jus got back from a weeks worth of vacation and I already miss it! Trying to get back in the swing of things takes a while too. I have somemore time built up so I will probably take another week this fall but it will be an "at home" vacation. Only 23 more years till retirement.

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 06:37 PM

...Only 23 more years till retirement.

25 more here...unless I have a windfall of money before then LOL!

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 06:57 PM

I'm eligible for early retirement next year but I will probably stay until 2013. I really need a break and may take my pension and look for another job just for the change. I've been working alone in what used to be a 2 man shop since 1994. The amount of work isn't what it was in the old days. At least now I can take 2 weeks off and not worry about being called in all the time. The last time I had more than 2 weeks away from work was in 1992 when there were 2 of us to do the work.