FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 09:50 AM

Well, I need something better and more secure for my Jeep. I want to ditch my radio in the dash when I switch to a CJ-7 dash board and just use my Sirius radio through an amp. I did a lot of searching on these, and found that the 40mm box would be the best fit in my old Jeep. It's 10" tall, 6" wide and 18" long. That is VERY close to my stock console in dimensions. I picked up a newer box in great shape for $20 at a local surplus shop. (They had some really cool small cans that I may look into placing a couple under the hood for tools.)

I have seen a few of these builds, but was never really happy with any of them when it came to the hinge area. One or two seemed better than most, but none that really looked original. I also want it strong, so a piano hinge is out.

So, I started with this nice clean can.

Posted Image

Now what needed to be done, was to add a hinge to the back side of the can. The 40mm can has a latch on both ends so the lid can be removed. First I had to cut off this lip and weld it onto the bracket so I have a place to weld the hinge to.

http://www.yankeetoy...ss='bbc_img' />

Posted Image

Posted Image
http://www.yankeetoy.../a><br /><br />http://www.yankeetoy...ng.<br /><br />Posted Image

Posted Image

Then in a whirl of welding and grinding that I did not take photos of... I managed to make it look like this. Note the way I "blended" the top part of the hinge out to the sides so it looks like it belongs there. :D

http://www.yankeetoy...ss='bbc_img' />

Posted Image

Posted Image

The latch that had to come off, will have 1/4-20 studs welded on the back so that it can be bolted onto the box from the inside with acorn nuts. When that is done, it will look very much original.

Posted Image

Then with all that done, a little primer will keep it ready for me to finish the box. I still need to build the lock for it. I plan to use part of a locking hasp used for shed doors. This is a keyed 1/4 turn latch so it will work far better than the eye-bolt and pad lock.

I will need to make a frame for it to sit on the floor, and I also plan to make a nice padded arm rest for the top. Paint may end up with either a black wrinkle finish, or hammer-tite paint.

Posted Image

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 10:12 AM

Cool, I've got one of those ammo boxes too.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 01:52 PM

That looks really good, and is giving me ideas of what to do with my small ammo boxes, GT armrests LOL.

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 04:43 PM

Very neat idea. You did a great job blending the hinge.

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 05:10 PM

Nice looking 'arm rest'. Will be a great addition to the Jeep. Thanks.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 05:12 PM

I've had a Korean War era 50mm box under the seat on the 81 for years. Best toolbox ever. No water, quick in and out, don't have to worry about a chain breaking it. That one hinges front to back, not end to end, so it works better in my application.

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 05:05 PM

Here is a little update, I was able to get the can finished off today. Next I can start on building the mount base for it.

Today, I modified the front latch plate to fit the locking clasp turn buckle, as well as welding the studs to the rear latch plate so it can be bolted on. The front latch plate was marked out using the other half of the locking clasp as a template to get it roughed out. This allowed me to bolt the clasp in place to fine tune the hole. All the hardware used was stainless steel and I will add a little sealer to the holes after I paint it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now that the clasp was bolted down, it was time to cut out some tiny patches to fill the part of the original hole that is not needed. I know it could of just been left, but it would always bug me, and I have no excuse no to fix it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then a little layout dye was applied so that I could mark the hole and space it around the clasp evenly. Once I was happy with it, a little primer and it was done.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The back latch plate had the 1/4-20 studs welded to the plate but I had to enlarge the holes in the box in order to let them "swing" into place. The latch plate still hides the holes, and the stainless steel washers inside the box cover them completely. Again, these will be sealed with a sealant after the box in painted.

Posted Image

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 05:13 PM

As usual, you're doing really nice work there.
Looks great.

Casey
I like the idea of ammo boxes as arm rests on a GT. Working girl of course.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 08:18 PM

Here is the added shelf I just put in the rear of the console. The one that I have to make for the Sirius radio up front will have a plate that bolts down against some small angle iron. This will allow me to remove the plate if needed. I think I will also make it so there is a bottom to the slanted shelf to tuck up any wires. I also need to figure out just how I want to place the fuel shut off switch. I am thinking that if I place a flat plate under the slanted plate for the radio, I can french in some tubing to recess a switch into. This will be above the "bottom" of this radio shelf, so all the wires are tucked under that. This is where the bolt on radio shelf works nice. If I do it that way, the switch is easy to get to, but kind of hidden and protected form something inside the console flipping it off. But for now, I need to pick up a spare base for the radio first. I still have it in my company car, but if I pick up a spare bracket, I can always put the one from my company car into my wife's Suburban.

I hope that some tiny chain will work for the holding strap, but being centered will keep it from twisting the box, or getting caught in the sides.

Posted Image

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 09:18 PM

Great looking console, looks like you are going all out on it.

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 09:20 PM

Casey
I like the idea of ammo boxes as arm rests on a GT. Working girl of course.

Will, the nice thing will be on a tractor with a winch you have a spot to put chains and hooks and stuff :)

#12 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 30, 2011 - 09:53 PM

Mounted and in the Jeep update.

Today I spend a couple hours getting the old console out, and a frame built to mount the new one to the floor. I first dug half a folding steel bed frame out for material. I was able to make this with just the two small "center" parts, and have the entire side rail left over, on top of the other entire side! I LOVE steel bed frames, they are an awesome source of angle iron. So anyway, I welded up a square platform and drilled holes through the box and the frame. I then bolted the box to the frame and welded the nuts to the bottom of the frame. This way I just run the bolts in from the top and I do not need nuts and bolts. I did not take any photos of the frame build because it's kinda simple. Its a square box with two legs... A bit of a pain in the rear to get those legs just right because they are two different heights, but simple all the same.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then it was bolted to the floor with stainless steel carriage bolts. The carpet is not fully covered, but I will be going all through the Jeep soon, and I will be replacing the carpet. I am pretty sure the new ones are not cut for a console. I still have to design some sort of cup holder to mount in front of the box, this may need to be hand made.

Posted Image

Once the frame was installed, the box is super simple! Just four stainless steel pan head screws from the inside mount it to the frame. I have some work to do on it still so it's not painted, but I am thinking gray hammer-tite with a black vinyl padded arm-rest. But for now, I have a super secure, and fully waterproof console. Plus, once the padded arm-rest is done, I can even rest my arm on this one! The stock one was too low to do that with.

I really should buy some new seat covers, Eh? Those are full sized Blazer seats that were a bolt in fit and far more comfortable than the stock ones!
Posted Image

Posted Image

For some reason the legs look crooked, but they are even, trust me.
Posted Image

#13 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted July 30, 2011 - 10:21 PM

That is a very ingenious idea, I like it.
It fits right in with the style of the Jeep.

Edited by jdcrawler, July 31, 2011 - 12:28 AM.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted July 30, 2011 - 10:37 PM

I still have to design some sort of cup holder to mount in front of the box, this may need to be hand made.

In keeping with the army theme, how bout a couple of "Jerry Cans"? LOL

Really nice job, that will give the sound system a very secure home. Thanks for the pics.

#15 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 12:26 AM

You do great work, awesome job.