Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Good night, I love it when a plan comes togather.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:17 PM

This spring, my ever faithful Troy-Bilt Horse tiller died out on me. It was very odd, it starts perfect every time. In fact, to do my garden after sitting all winter, it fired on one pull. So I was asked to help a friend put in a garden, so I load the tiller into the back of the Jeep and head over. It stared fine, and backed off the ramps into his yard. Now this tiller would idle so low it was not funny. (I have a video on you-tube in fact) But while we pulled his marking rope down so I could till, it stalled. It never stalls! From there, it was a fight to keep it running and runner her hard and at full throttle. I assumed something got into the carb. We got it done, but not as well as I would of wanted to, and we had to push the beast back into the Jeep.

So, I ordered a carb kit and took my time cleaning and rebuilding it. I even took the time to wire brush all the paint off by hand so it looked brand new. (ever notice that is when things go wrong?) Well, I put it back on and it was really giving me fits! Hardly running, flooding, and back firing. I took the carb off and went through it agian and gave it a second try. This time on the second pull, I could tell she lost compression!

The crank seemed connected to the piston because it was smooth and quiet, so I pulled the head. I then found the exhaust valve did not move! :wallbanging: After pulling the breather cover, I found my problem was just the keeper washer that failed, but it damaged the valve. This set up had a plain washer with something like a keyhole that locked onto the valve stem. A pretty poor design which Briggs seems to of changed. I did end up with a new valve and keeper from s Jacks, but I ordered the ones that I had, and they sent the new design! I still needed the special washer for the newer "car style" keepers and washer. I did not buy that from Jacks, as I was not sure what they would send... I did find a NOS on e-bay though.

After spending an hour or two making a tool to compress the springs and hand lapping the valves, I was able to get it ready to go. Although, the head was missing! I looked for almost an hour before I remembered it was soaking in the parts washer to loosen the gasket! Once it was all together, I crossed my fingers, choked her and gave it a tug. She fires right up and rand great! I was very worried that the valve was not the problem, and I would still have carb issues.

Dang, I get long winded! I have had this dang tiller in my shop for months trying to find parts. It seems that Briggs discontinued the valves for this motor (1981 8hp horz.) It feels good to once again bring it back to life! This is the third major come back for it. Once when I got it from my dad and it had sat with water in the carb for almost 10 years, then again when I tossed a rod through the block, and again after a broken valve....

I just figured I would share... though didn't plan to write a novel!

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:45 PM

Glad you got it going! I love happy endings.

#3 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 10:16 PM

Glad you got it going! I love happy endings.

Happy Ends are great.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 06:36 AM

Glad you got it figured out. I don't mind reading long posts, just helps to understand the issue you were having. I hope you looked over the intake valve while you were in there. Good luck with it.

#5 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 07:53 AM

Great, Glad to here you got the old girl purring again.

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 08:04 AM

Glad you got it figured out. I don't mind reading long posts, just helps to understand the issue you were having. I hope you looked over the intake valve while you were in there. Good luck with it.

Thanks all, Kenny, yes I did pop the valve spring off the intake valve to take a look. What is odd is that they used the "car style" keeper on the intake, but not the exhaust. While I had that side apart I did re-lap and ground the stems to adjust the lash on both sides.

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 08:19 AM

Glad to hear you were able to get it running again :thumbs:

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 08:57 AM

Very nice to hear you got it running good again. I don't know why but it almost seems like out of all the engine brands Briggs has the most trouble in the valve area. Maybe it is just coincidence in the past year and I am totally off on my comment.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 09:30 AM

Very nice to hear you got it running good again. I don't know why but it almost seems like out of all the engine brands Briggs has the most trouble in the valve area. Maybe it is just coincidence in the past year and I am totally off on my comment.

Yea, this poor motor has been through the ringer! The valve keeper design was just dumb on this motor. I mean, it looked more like the washer that retains a brake shoe, than a valve! Just a simple washer with a key-hole, no retainers at all! Yet, they used a normal keeper on the intake. I mean, really??

I just fine-tuned the carb, and ran it in the garden... She runs just great, and will walk through the yard in high gear at an idle. That is the way she should run for me! This is one of the better Briggs motors, and seeing that is 30 years old, I can't really fault it much. This is the Industrial/Commercial version with roller bearings and a cast iron sleeve in the block.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,371 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 04:45 PM

Very happy to hear all is okay once again. That exhaust keeper just sounds stupid. Anyway to change to the automotive style keepers on it?

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 04:56 PM

Glad you got it working again.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 06:38 PM

That's great news FFEMT! Love to hear the story behind a project, Brings it home for me!

#13 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 09:35 PM

Yea, that is what they sent me... I ordered the "correct" one from Jacks, a new valve and the retainer (ie washer) but it was superseded to the new style, and I did not get that special washer that the keepers fit into. I hated to put in another order to Jacks, and hope I get the right washer, so I found a NOS one on e-bay and it just came in a couple days ago.

Here is the tool I made for compressing the valve springs. This pair of clamps had a broken spring was was very beat up, plus... I have plenty of them! It's great to have a lathe in the shop for times like this! I even turned down the pin that is a hammer fit for the valve side press block.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 10:39 PM

Shoot, I'm more impressed with the valve spring compressor you made, that's nice. I've made several tools and it makes you feel good that you can do that. I also have an old horse but mine has the 8hp Kohler Magnum. Love the way they till.