• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wahlb22 OFFLINE  

wahlb22

• Member No: 5142
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:02 PM

I'm hoping someone here could help me out. First off, I own a Bush Hog TC-220 Zero Turn mower with 52" deck. Recently one of the bearings went out in one of the spindles, ruining the housing. I managed to find all parts to replace it (shaft, bearings, snap rings, etc.) except for the spindle housing. This is part #98362. I've called multiple local dealers, dealers nationwide, and even Bush Hog headquarters. No one has this part. After being transferred a dozen times with Bush Hog, they gave me the number for the manufacturer of the part who told me that it is obsolete and isn't made anymore. So I'm hoping that maybe someone else has come across this problem and has a solution for me, or would be willing to help find a replacement part. Anything at this point would be helpful. I don't understand how every other part for this mower is still in production except for this one.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:12 PM

Try this place, it says "Call us" on the housing: http://www.fayettetr...10/02|~62|~0003
  • MH81 said thank you

#3 wahlb22 OFFLINE  

wahlb22

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 10:05 PM

Thanks, I've already tried them as they were one of the first results when just Googling it. I've also already tried Messicks. At least both of them were honest and straightforward with me about not being able to find the part.

#4 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,171 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 12:17 AM

I am not familiar with the spindle housing which you have/need. ......Is it possible to repair the one that you have?

If the bore where the bearing fits is worn, is it possible to bore & sleeve the housing?

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 01:00 AM

A number of years ago, I was working on a rider for here at the house. Put quite a few skinned knuckles into a Lawn Boy rider. I was about done, when I realized the rh spindle was going, called TORO and was informed that they wanted close to 200 for the part with shipping.

Couldn't find it anywhere for much cheaper either. Eventually, I was talking to a parts guy & he suggested replacing both spindles with something else. We looked thru a book of parts and found one that had the same height cut wise, but mounted to the bottom of the deck instead of the top. Got both spindles for like $50 and drilled 6 holes... The pullies were even the same diameter, so no new belt.

If you could find a unit that had a compatible mount flange, and roughly the same cut hgt, you'd be back in business.

Can't find an online PDF of what I'm talking about, but this google image search has a couple.
http://www.google.co...ved=0CAsQ_AUoAQ

Edited by MH81, July 26, 2011 - 01:30 AM.

#6 wahlb22 OFFLINE  

wahlb22

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 01:34 AM

There is absolutely no chance of repairing the one I have. The day the bearing went, it took me all of 2 seconds to kill the mower, but in those 2 seconds it managed to shear off about an inch of the housing. You can't even tell where the bearing used to sit.

Bush Hog has pretty much told me I have to buy a new mower because this part simply isn't made any more. I've considered replacing it with something similar. But this mower has 3 spindles and I really didn't want to replace all 3. Do you think I could get away with just replacing the ruined one with something similar(assuming they had the same height and pulley diameters)?

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 01:38 AM

Do you think I could get away with just replacing the ruined one with something similar(assuming they had the same height and pulley diameters)?

Yes, even if you have to replace all 3, it will be cheaper than a new mower. And next time, it will be replaceable.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 05:52 PM

There are a lot of mower deck spindles and I don't think it would be hard to find one that is similar. As long as you keep the right size blade on it so you don't have interference between the blades I think you would be fine.

#9 wahlb22 OFFLINE  

wahlb22

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 12:36 AM

Alright, thanks for the help. I'll start looking for a new spindle assembly. The whole thing is just a little annoying. Especially considering I already went and bought the rest of the assembly haha.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 04:30 AM

At least you have parts for the other spindles. Plus, you can get dimensions from one of the others to aid in the search. Good luck!

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 02:25 PM

Please let us know how you make out.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 02:32 PM

Yes, I would match a common spindle assembly if it were me. Might be a bit aggravating to match one, due to shops wanting a number to bother looking something up. But if you have a "Mom & Pop" type parts place, you'll have no problem, as they are easy to deal with & aim to please.