6 replies to this topic

#1 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4710
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 08:34 AM

I can't believe I can't find anything about Johnny Bucket Jr on a 990. I think it would be handy for moving dirt. I'd planned on trying to find a scoop tote but someone mentioned how you'd eventually get tired of looking back.

Is there concern that front end won't handle it? Has it been looked into and I'm just missing it? I know they don't mention MTD 990, but I'd think you could adapt it relatively easily. Do people just not think it would be worth the price and trouble?

#2 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 08:44 AM

Most JB JR's are on late model tractors. 990's are often overlooked, and not seen as the work horses they are. I think if you messaged Johnny bucket, they might be able to accommodate you.

There is also the idea of the tractor shovel type option. Superior Tech - Tractor Shovels - 54" this type work in conjunction with a front blade.

Anytime you add something like this to the front there is extra stress on the axle, I have seen some 990 axles fail.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:51 AM

I know what you mean on the rear scoop. I had a worksaver cat1 dirt scoop on a JDx475 for several years. It worked fine but is a lot slower than a full size loader would be. It is well suited if you just want to move material from piles and spread it. I called it the poor mans loader. Good value for a couple of hundred bucks.
I looked into the JB SR for my 475 but at the time it was a bit pricey due to exchange rates. Wouldn't the SR be a better fit for the 990? They are a pretty beefy tractor and should have the weight to use the SR model. I guess JB could answer that for you.

#4 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 01:35 PM

Well I emailed them and got a prompt short replay. "we have no interest". So that's pretty clear from them.

#5 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 01:39 PM

I have seen several home made versions of those tractor shovels that mount on a blade. Building one is on one of my to do list.

#6 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 04:56 PM

I know what you mean on the rear scoop. I had a worksaver cat1 dirt scoop on a JDx475 for several years. It worked fine but is a lot slower than a full size loader would be. It is well suited if you just want to move material from piles and spread it. I called it the poor mans loader. Good value for a couple of hundred bucks.
I looked into the JB SR for my 475 but at the time it was a bit pricey due to exchange rates. Wouldn't the SR be a better fit for the 990? They are a pretty beefy tractor and should have the weight to use the SR model. I guess JB could answer that for you.

I can see where that would get old quick. I'd still take one on my 3 point if I can find one cheap enough.

#7 89YT12 OFFLINE  

89YT12

• Member No: 4980
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 07:39 PM

I wish I could get one for my Snapper YT........... but yet I can get one for my weeee little Craftsman LT2000