• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 06:25 AM

Trowel asked me to move the duplicate thread, I looked at the two and am combining them, then moving. I will leave a redirect here so people can find it easier.
  • trowel said thank you

#18 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 06:59 PM

no interests in this at all ?

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 08:03 PM

gess i should of put it in a garden tractor instead,
never mind

#20 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 08:14 PM

With the volume of new posts that the site is generating recently, It's not uncommon for a post to be missed. I'm sorry that I missed it earlier (twice apparently). Giving it a bump will help too! That must be one wicked rototiller! Is that a custom pipe or something that you re-purposed?

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 09:09 PM

nice save,
i never would of know if it was not for my email, it poped up as i was emailing,
header-3/4 inch chrome moly steel pipes into 1 1/4 by 5 inch tall colector,
this is the 5th forum i have posted q.s and pic.s of this engine on, after 6 mounths of waiting in front of the computer every evening, im tired of it, smokstak.com and heymow.com are the only 2 that has helped,
thanks for trying,
respecfully
trowel

#22 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 09:13 PM

and yes, the header i made, along with the engine mount, and the tillers dirt shield,
trowel

#23 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,310 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 10:25 PM

Wow cool engine.Were they a common engine?Wonder how many Horses he's got.I guess the 16 at the end of the model number is the HP?

I would love to find one of those to put in a garden tractor.It would be sweet sitting in an old tube frame Bolens or a narrow frame cub cadet.
Shaft drive inline 2 cylinder engine with 2 stacks.I'm DROOLING!!!!

WOW darnet I just found a NOS 2A016 on Ebay.Wish I had the funds to spare.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ultDomainQ5f100

#24 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 06:05 AM

oh, hey,
good morning, model no. 2A016 twin cylinder horizontal shaft, air cooled,
2-two cylinder
A-military
0-left open for changes in the model no.
16-16 cub. inches total
8 cub. inch per cylinder, bore-2.25 inch, stroke-2.0 inch, semi-hemi heads, 6 to 1 compression, overhead valved, mecanical diaphragm fuel pump, centrifugal flyweight-type governor, military design marvel schebler carb., cooling duck-works that routs the air over the cylinder heads, down the back of the block and over the oil pan, oil dipper rod, sheilded spark plug wires and plugs, magneto (mines is electronic ignition), military rates this engine at 3 hp (ha, ha, ha,) b.s., it is well over 3hp, a 3 hp engine would not be able to power my ariens mower (pic. on first page) cutting high wet grass, trust me, i pushed this engine to the max to see how far it would go, my roto tiller i buried in 8 inches of damp soil with no problem. matter of fact, i had to re-weld the original engine mount, (snap!) engine has so much torque being a twin cylinder, i have yet to put it in a tractor (looking for one),
the 2a016 engines are everywere, they are genny engines turning a 2500 watt gen-head, the crank is 3/4 straight into tapor with key-way and tapped at the end. the carb. is troublsome and can no longer find kits for, and has the cork float, but i have figured out how to keep them going modifying other carb. kit parts, currently has a tilly model MT carb. attached to a manifold/carb adapter,
trowel

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 06:15 AM

ericfrompa,
i watched that engine for a while, the seller posted on smokstak questions about that engine, i answered and a few days lator it was put on ebay, that 2a016 is the better version of my engine, it is the breaker points ignition, last longer, mines is electron ignition, the box bolted to the top of my engine houses the conponets, the box is like an oven on a hot day on a hot engine, roasting the conponets, the military never corrected this, im currently looking to change mines to breaker poing ign.
trowel
p.s. he is selling that engine for way too much, i'll look for a MEP-025 genny and rip the engine from it, so long as it breaker point ign.

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 06:55 AM

That's pretty cool, trowel. Who made this engine? Haven't seen one like it before. Sounds to be a strong little engine. You seem to know quite a bit about it. Thanks for the informative thread.
  • trowel said thank you

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 09:21 AM

Most of the 2ao16's test out between 7 & 8hp. The 4ao32 tests out right at 16hp.
  • trowel said thank you

#28 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 04:32 PM

thanks, it is a tough little engine, i only wish it was casted in iron instead of aluminum,
coninental motor corp. started the ''military standard engine'' in 1954, it was model no. 1A08 single cylinder air-cooled engine, the 2A016 twin cylinder followed shortly therafter, i have spent a long time accumulating information on these engines, it was hard to find !, these engines are everywere, but no one knows much about them (still seeking out people who has worked on them) olcowhand is right, the 2A016 is around 7 to 8 hp, but will eat a modern 7 hp tecumseh any day, lots of torque, mines is at 9 to 10 right now, pistons fire 360 degrees from each other and the engine runs very smooth, mines is around 9 to 10 hp right now.
my engine is 2A016-111, made in sept. of 1985 by M.F.G. INDUSTRIES, the electronic ignition box was made by COLT INDUSTRIES, continental motor corp. standarized a engine for the military, berfore then the military had too many mfg.s making engine for them, briggs, clinton, lawson, too many different parts, huge headace, because of the standard design any company could make these engine, mind you this was in the late 50's during the cold war, if continental motor corp. was bombed other companys could continue prodution of these engines, in total i think around 8 different companys made these engines while continental was mfg ing the engines, the most common being TELEDYNE, well know for building air plane engines, also for the 4A032 engines some people ''hopped up'' for mini air planes and gliders.
TELEDYNE bought out continental motor corp. in the 60's or 70's, i don't remember which, if you take off all the cooling duck-work of these engines, 1A08, 2A016, 4A032, and 2A042 engine, it looks just like a small air plane engine and runs like one, that becouse of continental motor corp. air plane division and small air cooled engine division merged to build these engines, it makes sense because continental chopped (figuratively speaking) one cylinder from a radial engine, put on a fly-wheel with fins along with a cooling shrowd and made the slant cylinder model a engines (example: au85 engine),
oh, im getting carried away,
um, yeh,
anyways,
trowel
  • KennyP said thank you

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 04:57 PM

Good info, trowel. Thanks for sharing. I had forgotten about Continental. Sounds like a very tough engine.

#30 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 04, 2011 - 05:06 PM

i have a parts david bradley walk behind that needs a engine, as a thought !,