wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 12:49 AM

This has been bugging me for a while now. The Springfield 12 Hp I bought through Steve at the Cochranton Plow Day needs a "new" engine. I wanted to restore it back to original, but is it original if I have to put a different engine on it, even if it is somewhat correct? So my other thought was just buy a cheap (almost 600 bucks) 10 Hp diesel for it and bolt it in. Have done lots of measuring and believe with minimum work it will just bolt right in. So now the question is what should I do? Diesel 10 Hp repower or assemble a Kohler 14 Hp to fit it? Those are the options I have, and I won't start this project until next year anyway. What does anyone think about it? Is it a true restoration if I repower it, and is it a bad plan if I don't have to modify any of the original components of the tractor to make a diesel work on it? Any and all opinions welcome.

One criteria I ask of the opinions is please don't tell me, "It's your tractor and you can do what you want" because I know that already, just want other opinions.

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 01:31 AM

What is the original engine? Kohler K301?

I just Completely rebuilt a K301a for in my Cub 127.I have a hair over $400 in a total rebuild.And that is with purchasing a used std block and having it bored .010 over.I bought a std crank off of ebay and had the machine shop check it out for me while they bored the block.

Used STD block and crank from Joes Outdoor Power on Ebay (block) $63.00 auction shipped (crank) $54.99 buy it now shipped.LOL used the 10% MTF.com discount on my total order.Hay every little bit helps.Joes site The Garage

New crank bearings,connecting rod,.010 piston and .010 rings Complete gasket kit with shims.New PTO bearing and clutch disk.And I did the SB Chevy points conversion with new Accel 1.4 ohm internal resistor racing coil.Really nice chrome replacement coil.Found one locally for $42.00 CHROME SUPER STOCK COIL-POINTS - ACCEL Coils & Accessories - ACCEL

I was originally looking to repower it cheap but the more I looked the better a overhaul looked.Heck the original engine lasted for 40 years.I said to myself,why can't I build a New one and make it last 40 more years.

I did get a break on the machine work.They had recently set they're mill up to bore another K301 that someone had done.So the machine setup didn't take as long.Time is money.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 25, 2011 - 01:46 AM.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 01:50 AM

Yup, a K301 is the current locked up engine. I have thought about a rebuild on it, but I just don't really know. I know what you just said about the rebuild being about 400 bucks, and I have a rebuilt K241 and a rebuilt K321 just neither are set up correct for a Springfield, and I can mess with them for days or I can mess with Diesel. I just don't know what is my better bet. Somehow I feel the Diesel would be a nice change up. I just like odd things, and that's why I converted one Springfield to Electric, and why I overhauled the Caterpillar to make it more different. I just don't know the best route to take. Fun or stock...

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,287 Thanks
  • 2,326 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 02:10 AM

It's yours Have as much fun as you want with it.If I would of had the funds all at once to just Buy an engine there would be a 10hp diesel in the Cub.
10HP Small Single Cylinder Electric Start Diesel Engine | eBay
NEW 10HP SMALL DIESEL ENGINE WITH ELECTRIC START 10 HP | eBay

The single cylinder Diesels under load sound like they are going to fly apart.But they are extremely durable and sip the fuel.

‪1556 Bolens 10hp Diesel swap‬‏ - YouTube

I was going to cut the cub up and stick an 18hp Opposed twin Briggs in it but it would of been more work than rebuilding it.And I'm still not sure I could of patched the frame back up enough to really use it.

I wanted an older tractor with shaft drive that I could shoe horn a newer gas sipping engine into but settled with what I have.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 02:55 AM

It's yours Have as much fun as you want with it.If I would of had the funds all at once to just Buy an engine there would be a 10hp diesel in the Cub.
10HP Small Single Cylinder Electric Start Diesel Engine | eBay
NEW 10HP SMALL DIESEL ENGINE WITH ELECTRIC START 10 HP | eBay

The single cylinder Diesels under load sound like they are going to fly apart.But they are extremely durable and sip the fuel.

‪1556 Bolens 10hp Diesel swap‬‏ - YouTube

I was going to cut the cub up and stick an 18hp Opposed twin Briggs in it but it would of been more work than rebuilding it.And I'm still not sure I could of patched the frame back up enough to really use it.

I wanted an older tractor with shaft drive that I could shoe horn a newer gas sipping engine into but settled with what I have.

Eric, I have actually seen all three of those links in the last 5 hours lol. I dunno, those diesels are nice, but I keep thinking an opposed twin Briggs is cheaper and will mount up just about as easily. Plus with a cylinder sticking out on each side, it looks cool. I dunno, like I said, not starting the project til next year, just trying to decide what I should do. Mabey I haven't hit on the right idea yet, and this thread will yield someone with a brighter idea.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 05:48 AM

Casey, I assume that's a belt drive? If so, which side?

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,578 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 06:38 AM

I think a diesel conversion would be a great beside the electric Springfield at a show. You could have a gasser, a diesel, and an electric. :D:D:D

Of course then you might have to build a steam powered Springfield. :bounce: