trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 05:37 AM

just a thought, you may almost never ride on the wheels,
just in case, threads on the rod will wear off, wheels will loosen, bar may bend, when the tractor is riding on the wheels you would want it straight, if loose, it will ""steer'' the tractor or when bent will plow/drag on the ground, bolts may be better, and wheels with bushings or bearings,
little extra stronger just in case,
great job on it, have you got a name for it ?

#32 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted August 19, 2011 - 06:49 PM

What gear to pull?Well it all depends on track condition.Plus you need to replace the stock gears with pulling gears if you can.I pull 12 hp stock with my cub,I ALWAYS use 1st gear,17 tooth gear.As far as tire pressure goes,all depends again on type of tire you are going to use,a ag tire like carlile,about 10 pounds seems to work well,a soft track,less air,a hard track,more air.If you are using a cheveron cut tire,3 to 5 pounds.pitbulls,lawntec,cepek are all cheveron cut tires.With a stock 12 hp,I would bore it .30 over,a single straight exaust pipe,no govoner,gm points and a hot coil,like a bosch 12 volt.Or you can go to brian millers tips and tricks for tons of solid info.
  • tractorman604 said thank you

#33 Hardmetal OFFLINE  

Hardmetal

• Member No: 4739
  • 1 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 07:33 AM

I dont have a name for it yet, but something like Stallion or something else to do with horses would be nice.

Brumback, where would I find pulling gears for a WH stock rear end? As for the engine I'm going to wait to have it rebored, and I will eventually order a Speedway Throttle Petal, but my kohler has a newer style ignition system with no points so I would have to convert the engine over to accept points and a 12v coil. Thanks for the info all the same.

#34 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 09:46 AM

midwest super cub has all the parts,ect you need.

#35 Hardmetal OFFLINE  

Hardmetal

• 1 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 05:25 PM

After awhile of beating my head against the wall I came up with a simple front weight system thats nothing more than 2 pieces of square tube bolted to the frame. The steel wheel weights I have sit on them, able to be slid ahead or back, and the bolts that hold them to the wheels tighten up on a steel bar under the tubes.I also finished up a rear weight rack, tho I'm not sure if I'll use it yet.

Checked my tire pressure and it was only 5 pounds, so I put morein but they started to rub. I need to raise my seat pan, which I have an idea how to do, but I'm not sure about what to do with the running boards. Does enyone have pics of ways to make room for the tires?
8-24-11 007.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 8-24-11 010.jpg
  • 8-24-11 008.jpg
  • 8-22-11 025.jpg
  • 8-22-11 023.jpg

#36 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,306 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 06:19 AM

Can you build spacers for in between the frame and Axel/tranny? Just don't use washers, they will / can flex and that is one place you don't want that!

#37 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted August 30, 2011 - 06:18 PM

running boards can be replaced with footpegs like on a motorcycle

#38 Hardmetal OFFLINE  

Hardmetal

• 1 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 07:05 PM

Sorry for not updating in so long. I have the foot pads from an older wheel horse I'm going to try, but for now its going to have to wait.

This weekend is the show at which I plan to attemp pulling at so I've been busy getting everything ready. The only thing I need to do is make a bracket for the fire extinguisher.

Does enyone know the gross weight of a stock WH Raider 12?

#39 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 05:24 PM

that's ok, we are not in any hurry here, thanks for the update, i do not know the gross weight of one off hand but is looking forward to your pull,

#40 Hardmetal OFFLINE  

Hardmetal

• 1 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 09:49 PM

I know you've all been waiting to see how my first pull ever went, and if I ever post it I have a video for Youtube. The Coordinaters of the pull was a group known as the Kids At Heart Garden Tractor Pullers.
So heres how it went. First weight in fully weighted put me at 1025( if I wasnt so ancious I would have thought ahead and removed the weights first) so I tooked off about 75 pounds to compensate for fuel and lunch landing me in the 1000 lb class.
Next came the wait, sitting and watching to see how others handled the track, considering I've seen dirt farm roads that were smoother. Another thing to consider was that the track was hard packed.
Hooking up to the sled gave me a rush and I focused on the end of the track. The being the way it was I figured I would go with 2nd so I wouldnt bounce and spin my tires at the dip before the end of the track. I gave it the gas and let out the clutch and headed down the track. My 12hp kohler ran rougher than I had hoped but kept going all the same. The dip took up 2 1/2ft of the 6-8ft wide track on the right side so I went left and still hung up the sled and spun. In the end I placed 5th in my class at 84ft on a 125ft track.
Next year I'm going to go for the 800, 1000, and maybe even the 1200lb class, because one hook up just isn't enough.:bounce:
One thing that caught me off guard was the wide variety of garden tracters that were pulling. There were John Deeres, Massys, Cadets, Wheel Horses, Bolens, Sears, and even a Case 444. Another thing I noticed was that mine and about 4 other were the only ones that had been painted, which meant plenty of comments and ego stroking.
  • trowel said thank you

#41 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 13, 2011 - 09:59 PM

that's great, i have been looking farward to this, 5th is great for a first timer, and it sounds like your ''hooked'' to it now, lol !
all that hard work payed off and next year sounds like more fun, thanks for keeping us updated,

#42 Hardmetal OFFLINE  

Hardmetal

• 1 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 07:29 AM

Heres a link to the video:
Wheel Horse Pulling At Flywheels And Pulleys - YouTube

#43 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,306 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted September 17, 2011 - 11:31 AM

Heres a link to the video:
Wheel Horse Pulling At Flywheels And Pulleys - YouTube

I thought it was going to run outta steam for a second. Good pull, thanks for sharing.

#44 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 07:42 AM

I thought it was going to run outta steam for a second. Good pull, thanks for sharing.

:ditto:

#45 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted September 18, 2011 - 07:45 AM

thanks hardmetal, i see the dip you was talking about and you pulled thrue it, sounds great, thanks for the vid.,