• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Hardmetal OFFLINE  

Hardmetal

• Member No: 4739
  • 1 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 11:50 PM

I've always wanted to do garden tractor pulling , but it hasn't been until this year that I've had the funds(although limited) and time. I'm planning on pulling in one of the stock classes, not sure which one yet(depends where my funds get me).For my chariot I have Wheel Horse Raider 12 all stock. I've ordered a set of 12 x 12 Ferris ZTR rims and a set of 26 x 12 x 12 AG tires.

Also, when I looked for a club to join I could find none with events enywhere close to me, but can I join a club so that I can pull at closer events and never pull at thier club events or go to thier meetings?

So far I've got a weight rack built just forwars of the rear wheels and my next project is a wheelie bar. Open to all suggestions and scrutiny.

Attached Thumbnails

• iPod 7-25-11 196.jpg
  • iPod 7-25-11 182.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 06:18 AM

Looks to be a pretty complete unit. :thumbs:
Are you going to do much to the engine?

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 10:33 AM

The Raider 12 was the most used WH for pulling in the early and mid 70's. The trans axle is a very strong unit, heavily built. We pulled WH excusively in the late 60's and early 70's, and did very well with them. We used a "C" series belt and pulley's the the drive setup. Good Luck with your tractor....

#4 hotya100 OFFLINE  

hotya100

• Member No: 1906
  • 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 12:24 PM

Also, when I looked for a club to join I could find none with events enywhere close to me, but can I join a club so that I can pull at closer events and never pull at thier club events or go to thier meetings?

I don't quite understand what you are asking about the pulling clubs. Who is putting on the closer events?

The clubs I have joined, including the club that I am in now, usually only had 2 meetings. The first one was before the season started to discuss any rule changes, etc, for the upcoming season. The second meeting was an end of the year cook-out and officer elections for the next year.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 03:54 PM

:wave: Hardmetal Welcome to GTTalk! That's a nice looking Raider you have. I like the weight bracket too! I'm sorry that I can't help with your questions though. I belong to an antique tractor club and we have fun pulls once a year at our summer show...other than that, I don't know of any pulling clubs. I'm sure that they exist, I've just never done any research on them. There are some die hard pullers on here and I'm sure they'll be along in due course. We hope that you enjoy the forum in the meantime. BTW thanks for the pics!

#6 Hardmetal OFFLINE  

Hardmetal

• 1 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 04:54 PM

MH81, although I've read up on some engine mods, I'm not sure what to go for. I've heard alot about port polishing, but dont know a thing about it. Eny suggestions that would be NQS legal for stock pulling would be well appreciated.

hotya100, The main event I plan on attending is a small show in Constableville, NY called Flywheels And Pullies, which as far as I know from what Ive read has no real guidelines and is mostly for fun so no memberships needed. Also as far as I can remember they use a dead weight sled, which I know is almost unheard of in the world of GT pulling. Next year, if all goes to plan, I would like to pull at The Pageant Of Steam at Canandaigua, NY where they have actual guidelines, regulations, etc. These two places are a yearly events for me and thats where I hope to get my start. Finally, to answer your question, none of the clubs I have found so far list the event at Canandaigua on thier list of events. So as a member of a NY pulling club, will I only be able to pull at thier events?

BTW, Thank you all for the warm welcome.

#7 hotya100 OFFLINE  

hotya100

• Member No: 1906
  • 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 10:48 PM

NQS has rules for "hot stock" singles and "hot stock" twins. Those rules are on the NQS website.

Stock class rules are widely varied between clubs. What one club would call stock, another club would call Altered or Modified.

I really can't answer a question about NY Pulling Clubs, but can give you my experience for my area. By joining a club does not restrict you to that particular club. I have went to events being put on by other clubs and was welcomed. The other club would inspect our tractor, going by their rules, and then telling us what class we would be able to pull in. They would give us the completed inspection form and send us to the event secretary. At that time, we would register and would be asked if we are joining or just pulling. If we are not joining we would then pay an Insurance fee, usually $10 plus hook fees per class. The going rate for hook fees around here is $12 per hook.

If the Pageant of Steam has guidelines, I would build my tractor to their rules. You also could call the contact person for the Flywheels and Pullies show and ask them. Tell them what you are planning and see what they say.

Good luck with your build and new hobby.:beerchug:

#8 Hardmetal OFFLINE  

Hardmetal

• 1 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 05:46 AM

Last night I pulled of my tires and noticed that the hub was all the way back and rubbibg on the trans so I took the chance to move them out to the end of the axle. I was relieved to find that the hubs fir the shaft snuggly and that the hole for the axle in the hub wasnt worn out like the ones on my C 125.

Whats the best gear to pull in? From most of the videos I've seen it looks like 3rd is the usual choice.

Attached Thumbnails

• iPod 7-25-11 207.jpg
  • iPod 7-25-11 208.jpg

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 07:25 AM

Whats the best gear to pull in? From most of the videos I've seen it looks like 3rd is the usual choice.

It will depend on weight on the machine. Also the track. I Never get it right :D

#10 Hardmetal OFFLINE  

Hardmetal

• 1 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 01, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Does enyone know how to wire up a trailer brake away switch as a kill switch for a Kohler 301?

#11 junkman1946 OFFLINE  

junkman1946

• Member No: 4236
  • 6 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 06:09 PM

One wire to Neg. side of coil. Thats the side where the wire goes down to the points. The other side to ground. When you pull out the plastic plunger on the brake switch contacts inside touch-engine dies.
  • Hardmetal said thank you

#12 Hardmetal OFFLINE  

Hardmetal

• 1 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 09:41 PM

8-2-11 005.jpg
Thank for the info. Its been awhile since I posted pics so heres a few. Tires finally came in but rims are on back order, which means I cant work on my wheelie bar for awhile. Man there was grease everywhere. For colors i went with Rustolium Royal Red and Gloss Black Enamel. I was going to go with mostly flat black with a few things metal flake blue, but after seeing some restored Horses I couldnt abandon the red, but I also want to add my own touch so I painted the frame black. Since I had it apart I decided to pull the head, and low and behold I had a bad head gasket and its bean burning oil, but not bad enough to smoke.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8-2-11 048.jpg
  • 8-2-11 028.jpg
  • 8-2-11 056.jpg

#13 Hardmetal OFFLINE  

Hardmetal

• 1 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 09:53 PM

8-2-11 024.jpg The worst part so far has been the hood. Some genius had an idea that the hood needed a hole over gas cap, which lead to the hood splitting where the hood latch goes. I was going to leave it and find another hood, but no luck. Since I had no other choice I cut out a rectangle and welded in a new piece which warped the hood even more. My only choice was to bust out the bondo and go to work. Hopefully I'll be finished with it by tomorrow night.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8-2-11 046.jpg
  • 8-2-11 017.jpg
  • 8-2-11 019.jpg

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 12:38 AM

Hopefully I'll be finished with it by tomorrow night

It's always amazing the "upgrades" some owners give to our treasures in previous lives isn't it?

Have a good time and good luck.

#15 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 03, 2011 - 04:28 PM

Looks like you're making some strides on your project Hardmetal! You've gotta' love the "custom modifications" that some of our gems come with! Looks like you''ve got it under control! thanks for the updates and keep 'em coming!