• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kokaneesam OFFLINE  

kokaneesam

• Member No: 5116
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 03:53 PM

Hello, first of all want to thank you all for this site, after poking around for a short while I was able to determine the year of this MF. So I have this little tractor and all I know about it is that it fired up when I turned the key to drive it on to a trailer. I am dealing with it for a dear old friend who is recently deceased. Can anyone tell me what I should ask for it. It looks like it is in pretty decent shape and it has a mower and a rototiller. Thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 03:59 PM

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your friend. What it is worth depends a lot on the condition and your location. If you could post some pictures it would help a lot. A tiller is a big + and is fairly rare.
  • kokaneesam said thank you

#3 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 08:44 PM

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your friend. What it is worth depends a lot on the condition and your location. If you could post some pictures it would help a lot. A tiller is a big + and is fairly rare.

JD Brian got it right, condition and location are key factors. A willing buyer helps too. Some pictures would help out tremdously. Maybe some memebers from you area will be able to help you put a value on it....?

#4 kokaneesam OFFLINE  

kokaneesam

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 09:29 PM

Okay thanks. I am in Saskatchewan Canada and will post pics any help is appreciated.

#5 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 09:46 PM

If you can post some pictures and a little more info we can give you an idea of what it would bring in our areas. Did it start easily, does it smoke at all on start-up or after it warms up, how does the engine and rear end sound, does it run well (idle, mid, high rpm and under load), is the steering tight, is the deck solid, does the AMP meter show that it's charging? Also does it have all the components for the deck and tiller. The tiller should have a gear box and drive shaft with it and with out them it's useless. The tiller should also have a spring lift assist assembly with it but that part isn't as critical and can be fabricated pretty easily. I already have a mf12h but if I didn't I would pay $4oo-500 for a good solid tractor with a solid deck. I also have two tillers but if I didn't I'd be willing to pay $250 for a complete solid unit. There is a classified section on this site, you can post it there. I would suggest that you post the tiller both with the tractor and by itself under "garden tractor attachments", a lot of people own mf10's&12's and may be looking for a tiller alone. Good luck and sorry to hear about your loss. It's good of you to step up and help out.
  • MH81 and kokaneesam have said thanks

#6 kokaneesam OFFLINE  

kokaneesam

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 02:27 PM

DSCF2858.jpg Thanks again for all the help so not being very mechanically inclined I started the tractor again and it runs a little rough, it needs to warm up a bit otherwise it stalls out. Didn't seem to smoke anywhere. I took a look at the tiller and I will post the pictures of the parts if I can figure out how to do that.

Attached Thumbnails

• P7256551.jpg
  • P7256553.jpg
  • P7246537.jpg
  • DSCF2857.jpg

#7 kokaneesam OFFLINE  

kokaneesam

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 02:35 PM

Well I managed to post the pictures, so I thought I would add a note to say I think that the little box thing in the last picture is the gear box don't know if it has the drive shaft but wonder if it is the part on the tiller and or the spring lift assist. I am hoping the pictures will tell you and you can tell me! It was good to know I was looking for other parts the little box thing was tucked under a sack.

#8 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 05:42 PM

Your tractor looks to be in good shape, serial# tells me it was made in 1968.
The box thingy is the gear box that drives the tiller, hooks up to the drive shaft you have.
Gear box mounts on the tractor where the jack-shaft is for the mower decks pto.

Here's a link to an article on the MF650 tillers, might find it helpful.
>Garden Tractor Talk - Massey Ferguson MF 650 22 inch and 38 inch Rototiller Information

#9 kokaneesam OFFLINE  

kokaneesam

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hello, I want to thank all of you for your help with this tractor. I have sold the item and will be passing the forum information on to the fellow that bought the unit. I can not tell you how helpful this was to me. I knew nothing about this garden tractor and found it really interesting to search out all the information available. You guys are great!:worshippy1:

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 07:07 AM

Just because you sold that one doesn't mean you have to be a stranger. There may be another of your own in your future. I'm happy to hear you were pleased with the help you received. There are some very knowledgable folks hanging out here.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 07:22 AM

:ditto:

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind, what ballpark was the final negotiated pricing in?
Not trying to be nosey, but every once in a while someone asks what something is worth and it's good to have a frame of reference for different area / markets.