• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cdeal28078 OFFLINE  

cdeal28078

• Member No: 4906
  • 6 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 03:26 PM

The Kohler adjustable or the Walboro not main adjustable jet carb?
I am talking about for the K301 Kohler 12hp engine. I have the Kohler on my engine but the rpm's are hunting at high RPM's with no load and I cannot get it adjusted out. I just rebuilt it or I should say cleaned it out with new gaskets and the tip of the main jet is just slightly bent. I cleaned it up best I could but will need a new one. I have a Walboro that came on the new to me K301 I got to replace mine. It would need a kit init also as it has set fro a while. If people think they run as good or better than I'll worry about getting a kit for it instead
clint

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 03:41 PM

Can't help you with that call. My experience with Kohlers is limited to the adjustable carb. Have you had a look at the governor linkage. If there is a lot of wear on the levers (the holes are enlarged from wear) or it is gummed up with dirt it may not be working up to snuff. Also check your ignition system over to make sure you have good spark. A bad ground or spark plug connection will also cause trouble. This can cause the engine to miss and upset the governed speed causing surging. You can reduce the sensitivity of the governor to reduce surging if all else fails.

#3 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 08:53 PM

I would rebuild the Kohler adjustable carb without question.

The Walboro carbs are OK if you don't have anything better to use.They are very cheaply made.
I was going to stick a new Walboro carb for a 16hp Kohler I have sitting in the shed,on my K301 but after I dug it out of it's box and felt how sloppy the throttle shaft was I decided to rebuild the old #26 carb.

I still don't like where the high speed needle on the Kohler carb is located.Makes it a pain in the butt to get adjusted.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:16 PM

I still don't like where the high speed needle on the Kohler carb is located.Makes it a pain in the butt to get adjusted.

Ditto on both counts, but even though a pain to get at the main, the carb is leaps & bounds better than the fixed jet carb.

#5 cdeal28078 OFFLINE  

cdeal28078

• Member No: 4906
  • 6 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 01:41 PM

Thanks guys. I thi9nk I got the Kohler carb sorted out. Borrowed a tach from a friend and got the max RPM's up to about 3470. Book says 3600 so I am OK with that. I hate turning an engine wide open.
Clint

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 29, 2011 - 02:56 PM

I agree. When I put my K321 back together I thought I had made a mistake with the linkage because the HS adj. was so hard to get at. I had no previous experience with these engines so it had me scratching my head for awhile. I ordered a carb kit for it and was surprised that there were no jets in the kit. However, when I disassembled it they were still in excellent condition so it wasn't an issue.