Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Help with governor on Kohler K321 in my 147.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 10, 2010 - 04:02 PM

Hey guys, this is my first Kohler and I found out why it sounded like it would rev through the roof, the previous owner didn't have the governor setup right.

I did the initial adjustment on the governor linkage per the manual where I loosed the nut on the governor arm that clamps onto the cross shaft and pulled the linkage as far as it would go and turned the cross shaft counterclockwise all the way and then tightened the clamp nut.

Now it runs about the proper rpm at full throttle and doesn't sound like it is going to explode. I don't have a tach yet to check the actual rpm. Now with all that being said what I am wanting to know is are the Kohlers suppose to lug down a little under load? Like with my masseys when you put a load on the engine you hear it bog down for a split second and then it is right back to full rpm. The Cub if I put a load on it by either driving or engaging the mower deck it bogs down just a little and then stays there it never picks back up but it doesn't seem like it wants to die either. It just keeps chugging along.

If that isn't how it is supposed to be I am wondering how far I am going to have to dig to find the culprit?

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 10, 2010 - 04:39 PM

I don't think that is quite proper,I think the RPMs should come back up a little bit.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 10, 2010 - 07:15 PM

Well I think I got it figured out. The previous owner had a spring on the throttle arm off the carb going from the arm of the throttle shaft to the glass bowl under the tank. Kind of like an idle return spring. I didn't know if it was supposed to be there or not and then I thought about it some more and it didn't seem right. I took the spring off and drove it around but now the grass is mowed so I couldn't really put a load on it but it seemed to do better. I will test it out next time around for mowing and see if it made a difference.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 10, 2010 - 07:19 PM

No, doesn't sound right, as it should under load open the throttle to recover. You might try opening the throttle by moving the governor arm by hand to see that the governor fights you opening the throttle. If it doesn't fight, then governor isn't working, and sad thing to say, if it's the governor, the engine has to come way down to get to the governor to replace it. Crankshaft has to come out even. Just go through governor adjustment, then hand test for resistance before thinking about taking engine apart. Lots of work, so measure twice...cut once!

#5 Guest_James66_*

Guest_James66_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 10, 2010 - 07:24 PM

george RPMs should come back up a with it under load look in the manual we have one I think on the site if not the 14 or 12 will work good luck and ditto what olcowhand said

#6 Rick OFFLINE  

Rick

Tractorholic

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted June 06, 2010 - 11:20 AM

The kohler will drop rpm slightly under load but should pick back up again if the governor is working as it should.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 04:31 AM

I did get this fixed. It was the return spring that the previous owner had on it that was fighting the governor. There isn't supposed to be a return spring on it :D