Disappointed Collector

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Medicjj OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5809
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 26, 2011 - 11:13 AM

Sad to hear. In S.C. alot of our scrap yards set stuff like aside for a while to see if any one wants to buy it. Sometime you can get a deal on what you need. but you have to visit often.

#17 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 08:09 PM

I called the scrap that very next day, asking to buy the items that were dropped off, knowing they couldn't have given him the amount for what he paid for the stuff, and they told me once the items are in the yard, they stay, and are not available for resale or purchase. Big disappointment! Almost felt like they had part of our family, and there wasn't a thing I could do about it. I realize it's just equipment, but after being in the family collection for so long, I guess you just seem to get attached.

Thanks to all of you guys who feel the same way I did, and still do I guess. It's nice to know we share enough about out collections, that we can be there for each other when we really need to vent also! Thanks for listening.

#18 tjrsallis OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6082
  • 5 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted October 27, 2011 - 08:30 PM

Scraps gotten pretty high. The scrapyard in my town atleast sells cars and tractors that they know are worth more than scrap. I'm worried one day I'm going to go out to the farm and find all our old equipment and project tractors gone.

#19 sgtrock1976 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6802
  • 4 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 28, 2011 - 10:53 AM

Metal, in general, has gone up. Copper is through the roof. It used to be they would just steal the copper pipes from the parks, now they're going into HUD homes and removing all the plumbing.

#20 quinn4761 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4748
  • 1 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 12:46 AM

I have seen a lot of the solid conditioned older implements go to waste as well. It is a shame

#21 AcreFarm OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 54
  • 109 Thanks
  • 359 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 03:27 PM

I missed this the first time around but I can appreciate what you were feeling. My grandfather collected hit & miss engines, GT's and oilfield equipment. When he passed away his wife had nearly his whole collection scrapped... never giving anyone (even family) notice of what she was going to do. It really felt like losing another piece of the family tree right there
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#22 Brett OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7141
  • 78 Thanks
  • 287 posts

Posted November 02, 2011 - 03:17 PM

That's a sad story, even worse that you couldn't get it back from the yard. Always tough to get rid of stuff that has a history, worse when it's not even going to a good home.