#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 12:07 PM

Yesterday (7/22/11) my Father sold his collection of Garden Tractors, implements and parts, at his public sale. Dad really took a lot of pride in his collection and was fussy on what he bought. Most of his items were in really good shape. Anyway, his Patio Garden Tractors sold for a reasonable price, the Allis Chalmers B-10 really sold for a lot more than what we would have ever guessed, and the John Deere dump carts went for a very reasonable price as well. You would think we would be happy with the results, right?:confuse:

Well, one buyer bought three round fendered snow blowers, a four legged flat fendered snow blower (used twice - nice), two patio mower decks, a #31 rototiller, and a round fender mower deck. When it came time for us to help him load his items, he told us to just dump everything in his dump truck, as all of the items were going to the local recycleable center. :mad2: I thought I was going to hit him. Most of us collectors dream of buying items in this good of shape, at a great price, but never seem to be in the right place at the right time. Here is a guy that was in the right place, at the right time, and isn't even a collector:wallbanging: Had I known this was his intentions, and I would have had the extra money, I would have bought the items.

I'm very happy that Dad had a good sale, and he got the prices that he needed, but from a collectors point, that one guy seemed to take the heart right out of me, (and other collectors) threw it to the ground, and ground it in the dirt. Dad asked the gentleman if he was a collector, and if he knew there are guys out there that would buy these things for more than what he paid. The guy simply said he don't care.

Why am I saying all of this? I'm not sure. I guess I just needed to vent to my fellow brother's and sister's who can relate to the hurt, of perfectly good items, that are highly sought after, and falling into the wrong hands.
  • Leonard VanCamp said thank you

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 12:17 PM

Sometimes you need to vent. I would have been upset too. When selling stuff like that though you don't have control of who is buying it.

#3 player92my3 OFFLINE  

player92my3

• Member No: 5087
  • 1 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 12:25 PM

that does suck, i would be miffed too

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 12:39 PM

That's a crying shame there! Some people have no respect for anything...but the almighty dollar! I can't believe that he would buy that stuff at a reasonable price and actually get more for it from scrap. That's very unfortunate and I certainly feel your pain and loss!

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 02:17 PM

They sold the Patio mower decks at one price, and then the high bidder got to choose which one(s) he wanted. Fortunately he wasn't the first high bidder. The high bidder bought a really nice 46" deck, and a really nice 38" deck. The "Scrapper" got a freshly primed 46" deck, and (2) decent 38" decks. The flat fendered snow thrower was show room condition. My mom bought it for me 3 months before she died, for $30.00. My Dad didn't realize it was mine until after it was listed on the sale bill. So, it had to be sold! I really wish I wounldn't have been in such a finacial burden right now, or he wouldn't have gotten it for the $15.00.

For you Patio lovers out there, there was a NOS orange seat that sold for $280.00, and a slightly used orange hood, no cracks or repairs, that sold for $160.00. The hood could have been mounted to your restored patio, and you would have have a really nice tractor. We were under the impression that the Auctioneers had advertised the sale a lot better than they actually did. The heat of the day didn't help much either. I think in total, we had only 128 listed bidders.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Maybe he will listen to you about being able to sell them for a profit. Is scrap really that high!

#7 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 03:50 PM

Now that makes a Grown Man CRY.

#8 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 478 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 05:10 PM

I was afraid that was going to happen.It is happening all the time on this old stuff.Later Josh

#9 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 06:20 PM

I have a small collection of old vehicles, I recently moved to a new house and before I could get all my cars from the old house a "SCRAPPER" took the hood off my '40 Buick (took it with him) then took a sawsall and cut the radiator out ruining the section that covers the radiator and where the hood normally sits on. Destroying a beautiful antique to make himself a few dollars.....DISGUSTING!!! Probably to get himself his next "high".

#10 better before OFFLINE  

better before

• Member No: 5240
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 03:42 PM

I don't know if I could have stayed quiet. Sometimes I think there should be a scrapper section or scrappers should be banned from auctions.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#11 sgtrock1976 OFFLINE  

sgtrock1976

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6802
  • 4 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 05:04 PM

He could have at least shown some respect to your father for how well he maintained this equipment. And, yeah, I didn't know scrap was going for that kind of money.

#12 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 05:27 PM

That makes me upset. I would have been willing to buy them back from him for more than what he bought them for just to keep them from being scrapped and then try to sell or give them to someone who could appreciated what they are. Once scrapped it is lost forever. Boy that makes me mad!

#13 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 06:18 PM

I was at the sale and was very dissappointed when i found out the scrapper bought all those attachments.It was stuff i was looking for but didn't have the funds.2 weeks prior i had $1000.00 set aside for the sale.Had to take my son to e.r.Came home at 2 am truck running fine,had oil pressure, didn't overheat or nock or anything when i shut it off.Got up to go to work 2 hrs later,nothingLong story short engine locked up?Until i had engine put back together had $300.00 left for the sale.Would've saved some of that stuff from the scrapper.I did save a snow blower and wheel horsewheel weights though.

#14 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted October 25, 2011 - 08:54 PM

Nice avatar you got there, Craig!
  • ckjakline said thank you

#15 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere