12 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 11:44 AM

my parents are giving me the 2135 to part it out. is there any market for stuff off of the newer cub cadets. i know they are pretty much a throw away machine so you arent going to have any people restoring them. is the stuff worth anything. it has a kohler command 13hp that runs but poorly. engine blows oil out of the breather so its spanked, but things like the head, transmission, carburetor, and pto might be worth money.

Edited by ad356, July 24, 2011 - 12:09 PM.

#2 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 02:52 PM

Every machine is worth something to someone. Check ebay and see what others are selling. If all it needs is an engine, I'd look for a replacement. Or, if your skillset allows, maybe a rebuild.

#3 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 09:05 PM

Every machine is worth something to someone. Check ebay and see what others are selling. If all it needs is an engine, I'd look for a replacement. Or, if your skillset allows, maybe a rebuild.

as i said this machine is junk. it isnt even restorable even if you want to spend the money(i dont). it is far far worse condition than the 124 i have been restoring was. the 124 still had solid sheet metal. the entire fender deck on the 2135 is shot. it is heavily rusted and even has some bad holes in several spots. as i said this machine is junk and is nothing unique or special about it. it is just another MTD built lackluster quality lawn tractor. i just wondered what the parts are worth. i have no reservations about gutting anything built by mtd. just one less cheap piece of crap on this planet. i will put it to you this way, i have even worked on 3 different originals and they are all in much better condition and they are 50 years old. something that is 12 years old is in worse condition than something 50 years old doesnt say much about quality. just that there is a lack of it.

as far as rebuilding an aluminum engine? im not going to waste time or money. i have rebuilt several engines, all cast iron k series. they are worth rebuilding. in my opinion aluminum is NOT

#4 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 05:43 PM

Um, O.K.

#5 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 10:44 PM

what im trying to find out is what are the parts worth? if i part this machine out what can i expect out of it in parts?

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,294 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 06:52 AM

What are you looking to get out of the complete engine?
I may be interested in it if you can box it up and ship it.
Shipping would be around $40

The PTO and Tranny are where you'll get Some money out of it.If the tranny is in perfect working order and Super clean you should be able to get around $150-$175 to the right person.
Used PTOs depend on who made them.Some are better than others $30-$100
Front rims $30 for the set,Rear rims $40-50 for the set Headlights and front grill if not busted up will go for $50-$60

Kohler Command Engine parts are fairly common.
Carb $20-$30 Heads $10-$20 each
Check ebay there are tons of the crap on there.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 27, 2011 - 07:09 AM.

#7 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 09:22 AM

I disagree with the 2000 series being junk. I have two 2135s that are in good shape. I bought both of them for $50 together. The PO said one had a bad engine, which turned out to be wrong as it runs great. I gave that one to my brother. The other, which had perfect sheet metal, had a busted transmission housing. I bought one for $40 and when I have the time I will get it going also. The engine is the Kohler Commands which are commercial grade, and well worth rebuilding. Fortunately both of these 2135s run great.

The 2000 series are shaft drive lawn tractors, and yes, they're not as tough as the old IH Cub Cadets, but they better than the Cub Cadet lawn tractors they replaced with tougher transmissions and are not belt drive. BTW, a transmission new for these is over $1000.

100_0600.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0605.jpg
  • 100_0634.jpg
  • 100_0608.jpg

#8 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 09:44 AM

I disagree with the 2000 series being junk. I have two 2135s that are in good shape. I bought both of them for $50 together. The PO said one had a bad engine, which turned out to be wrong as it runs great. I gave that one to my brother. The other, which had perfect sheet metal, had a busted transmission housing. I bought one for $40 and when I have the time I will get it going also. The engine is the Kohler Commands which are commercial grade, and well worth rebuilding. Fortunately both of these 2135s run great.

The 2000 series are shaft drive lawn tractors, and yes, they're not as tough as the old IH Cub Cadets, but they better than the Cub Cadet lawn tractors they replaced with tougher transmissions and are not belt drive. BTW, a transmission new for these is over $1000.

I agree.

#9 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 12:49 PM

i will post pics of this machine when i get it, i have to go pick it up. im not kidding or lying when i said the paint fell off in large flakes. it really hasnt been a good machine. im glad other people have better luck, but i have no reason to like these machines. the experience my family has had with it has not been one of quality. maybe it was running it in the winter that made the paint fall off. all i know is that year after year the old machines do snow removal duty and they have no problem. i have never seen older sheet metal rust through to have holes in it.

#10 alsparl OFFLINE  

alsparl

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6288
  • 14 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted September 14, 2011 - 11:49 AM

ad356, I understand where you are coming from as the machine may be more of an inconvenience to have around than anything else. But, through my experience with the 2000 series, I would think you could easily move the entire machine without parting it out. If you want to throw the deck away, that is fine. But with the 2000 shaft drive being as good as it is, this would make a great "grunt" tractor for someone to have. In my personal opinion, I believe advertizing it online as a whole unit would be the wisest thing to do; however, it is easy to provide suggestions when I am not the owner and don't have to find a place to store it. Good luck no matter what.

#11 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 11:01 AM

If you are still going to be parting this unit out I would be interested in the driveshaft. Thanks Kelly

#12 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 08:51 AM

i have the machine taken apart and sold allot of it already. i still have the driveshaft, but im not sure how to ship it. mostly i have shipped smaller items and used the post office flat rate boxes. i live in a rural community and there is no UPS here but we do have a post office located about 1 mile down the road. how much is the driveshaft worth to you? it is complete and in good condition. i agree that the driveshaft on the newer machines is better than the older designs but thats about it. the rest of the tractor is of very poor build quality compared to the old stuff. a cheap lightweight frame, very thin sheetmetal and allot of plastic do not add up to good build quality, in my opinion. everyone is entitled to an opinion. few would disagree that the IH built machines were very solidly built, probably some of the best L&G tractors anybody has ever built.

#13 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 402 posts

Posted September 29, 2011 - 11:07 PM

Let me know what you got to get for the driveshaft and we will go from there. You can cut it in half if need be and put it in a flat rate box. All I need is the 2 ends with about 8"s of shaft on each piece. Thanks Kelly