15 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 01:41 AM

Yesterday morning: woken up because of severe weather, really tired.... and spent all day cleaning that mess up
Tonight, still up playing "catch the little brown bat" (1:35am)

the last month has been work you tale off, put up with heat and humidity or flooding.

Tonight would not be so bad had it not been I got chased around the yard and into the chicken coop by 2 raccoons.... And now I'm listening to coyotes no farther than our alfalfa field.... Those things are loud when they are only 6ooft from the window your bed is under. I tell you one thing too...1million candle light, really lights a place up.

OH and of all things! our neighbor exactly one mile away had a bear try to break into their house, and after if gave up went and had nice sugar water drink from their humming bird feeders.... Less than a year ago our other neighbor across the road and over 4 city blocks was backing out of her garage when her little Honda stopped moving.. she had backed into the bear eating out of her recycling bin! I'm only wondering what's going to happen when it visits here...

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 04:27 AM

I'll tell you,there isn't a more eerie sound than a pack coyotes yelping in the night.

#3 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 05:42 AM

Sounds like you are a little close to the wildlife there, i have never seen a racoon so was unaware they chase people, what do they do to you if they catch you?

#4 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 06:43 AM

Never had a coon chase me but here east of Ding Dong I have plenty of critters. Lately I've been having problems with a skunk I can't get rid of. Last week it got into my garage and the dog went crazy. It was hidden behind an old compressor I plan to fix for my son. I put the dog in the house. put up a 2x12 so he would have one path out, aired up my good 60 gallon compressor and opened the drain valve which blew air his way. I stood their with my shot gun and the thing didn't come out. Looked again and he was gone. Guess he left when I took the dog to the house. We have plenty of rattle snakes too, I've killed 9 in the last 3 years including two that my neighbor almost stepped on that were locked together mating. They were so into what they were doing they didn't even know he had stepped just 4 inches in front of the male's head. The saving grace is that rattle snakes don't carry a handgun, I DO.

#5 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 12:31 PM

Sounds like you are a little close to the wildlife there, i have never seen a racoon so was unaware they chase people, what do they do to you if they catch you?

Were only a half hour from a moderate size city, but every thing around us is in the CRP program except 2 dairy farmers. There's a lot of unmaintained land and the animals take advantage of it.we have a pair of female turkeys roaming the yard most of the day, deer hang out on the hill, and a woodchuck living in a van we have parked by the shed. Although I did give him and eviction notice via .22 round that he was lucky didn't hit him.

#6 Sam OFFLINE  

Sam

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 05:30 PM

The most common animal that comes round my garden is deer, i dont really mind them as long as they dont cause too much damage, dont think i could sleep at night thinking there is bears and coyotes round about though.

#7 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 06:31 PM

The most common animal that comes round my garden is deer, i dont really mind them as long as they dont cause too much damage, dont think i could sleep at night thinking there is bears and coyotes round about though.

Every chance we get we try to shoot the coyotes but so far they keep getting lucky.

The bear has done nothing aggressive toward any one and there's now a group "saving the bear" from being shot if found again. DNR has warned that it is getting too close and needs to be taken care of. They couldn't find it than the government shut down and they are not going to bother with it.If I see it on a field I will let it be, if I see it on the yard, I will personally call the group trying to keep it alive and have them come watch me dump in in a shallow grave in the woods. Any animal posing a threat will be treated as such. And since I just got word that there has been cubs spotted with it I really hope it stays away.

#8 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 07:12 PM

Varmints are varmints and we do need to protect yourselfs.
The government is not the entity that needs to make that call.
That needs to be our call.

#9 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 07:22 PM

So far this year we have lost 4 chickens, two to a cougar, one to a coyote, and another was gone the day we saw a bear and its cub walking 50 ft from our bedroom window.

I fired two rounds at the bear into the dirt. Kicking dirt up at its face, it ran and has not been back. The cougar is buried on the back hill. Department of fish and wildlife relocated it twice. The last time I saw it it had one of my birds in its mouth. One round of 7.62/39 from my ak and it is no longer a problem.

As for the coyotes they are very annoying, but when they get to bad either my self or one of the neighbors that live around fire a roundoff into the dirt and scare them for the night.

Just partof country living

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 08:18 PM

...The government is not the entity that needs to make that call. That needs to be our call.

AMEN to that brother!

#11 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 02:04 AM

coyotes have been constant so far for the last two hours.... I just watched a coon literally open the drivers door of our 89 Ford f150.... I heard one of our cats possibly be killed, and to top it all off the little brown bat is still doing laps through the house....

7.62x 39.... good round.... 7.62x54... even better...

as for the bear, the tri-township area has been patiently waiting because the DNR said they would do something and one of the big shots in town wants to try bear hunting.... so no ones willing to shoot it, except me... This bear does have a radio caller on, it was brought here from the the Minneapolis/st paul area... (rumors...)

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,625 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 05:56 AM

Bill, sounds like you need to hire Grizzly Adams or Dr. Doolittle for an evening. Good grief.

Those little bandits (raccoons) are real pests. And they can be mean too. I was chased into my work van by one once, he had an attitude and we played "try another door" for 3 or four tries. he just kept following my footsteps from under the van and was waiting for me. I did my best fake break for the back door & flew out the side... Even with the head start, he wasn't far behind me at the dog fence gate. Customer was watching the whole thing from the window with an open mouth... Couldn't believe it. LOL

Called the Game Commission, they came out and shot it. Called 3 weeks later to tell me it was distemper, not rabies. Either way, it didn't like me being there.

#13 89YT12 OFFLINE  

89YT12

• Member No: 4980
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 07:48 PM

You are everywhere Bill LOL!!!!!!

I would just have to walk tall and carry a big gun if I were u.................... i can see now in the news ......

on the 1400 block of main street today a house owned my bill and tammy jones got broken into, the suspect is described as dark brown very harry, walks on all fours, 6 1/2 tall standing up, aprox. 580 lbs, big paws, and yellow teeth. If you know anything about this crime place call the sherriffs office, do not attempt to aproch the subject

#14 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 10:37 PM

7.62x 39.... good round.... 7.62x54... even better...

That is funny you say that because that night my Wife said hey there is a bear and just instinct I grabbed the AK, When I had the bear in my sights I thought "Damn I should have grabbed the mosin" 7.62x54 is alot better for that size game. But I did not want to kill it just let it know it was invading my space.

#15 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4710
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 11:31 PM

Were only a half hour from a moderate size city, but every thing around us is in the CRP program except 2 dairy farmers. There's a lot of unmaintained land and the animals take advantage of it.we have a pair of female turkeys roaming the yard most of the day, deer hang out on the hill, and a woodchuck living in a van we have parked by the shed. Although I did give him and eviction notice via .22 round that he was lucky didn't hit him.

The CRP program has really changed things here (Texas Panhandle) We never had deer to speak of on our places, Quail, Dove and Turkey. 20+ yrs later. The Quail have become rare and the Deer are more than plentiful. I think the biggest change is the wild fires. There's just not those wheat fields to stop a fire anymore. We've got coyotes, but I grew up with them and have killed my fair share. What we don't have and I don't know how much longer this will be true is wild hogs. They are about 30 miles south and seem to have stopped moving north at Interstate 40.... but it's going to happen. Those things have no enemies here.

Edited by Tobal, July 25, 2011 - 11:39 PM.