• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 valley ranch OFFLINE  

valley ranch

• Member No: 5493
  • 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 01:43 AM

our tires, with patotoes growing, are three high now, maybe one more tire will be enough.

How tall do you stack your tires?

The rows of potatos in post 1 sure look nice.

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 14, 2011 - 05:54 AM

i go as high as i can using car tires, usally 5 high, i drive poles or stakes around the tires to keep it safely up-right, less plants, more tators per plants in the tires,
modified plastic 55 gallon drums work good too cut into 4 sections, after the first bottem section is filled drive 5 or 6 metal fencing posts into the ground 2 feet and wrap wire tightly around it, as you add the sections of drum wrap wire around the post,
your imagination can go wild with this,

#18 valley ranch OFFLINE  

valley ranch

• Member No: 5493
  • 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 12:50 PM

We but down chicken wire under the tire stack and will put wire on top to discourage the rodents.
Maybe I have too many plants [4] in each stack. this is the first time I've used this method.

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 06:49 AM

ehh, mabey, i always did 2 each, if all goes well, it will be compleatly full of taters LOL, have you only got one stack ?, i did 4 (2 plants each) and got around 3 bushel baskets of red and idaho taters, plenty to go around, filled the tires with good organic earth mixed with peat moss and chopped/composted leaves,
the chicken wire is a good idear, thanks, i'll remember that next time,

#20 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted August 16, 2011 - 05:44 PM

Horse tea is made with horse biscuits. You put a few biscuits in a can of water, the next day you have horse tea.

:) :) :)

#21 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 04:48 PM

I have a potato question.....Do the potatoes still keep growing underground once the tops have wilted?

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted August 28, 2011 - 05:03 PM

Once the tops turn brown then they are ready to pick. They will not grow after they wilt
  • poncho62 and Alc have said thanks

#23 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 01:39 AM

How long do you all think I can leave my tators in the ground? the last two weeks we have dipped below freezing twice, as I am writing this the tep is 43 degrees. I have them covered, the tomatoes are shot! the tators are looking rough but still have some green showing. my carrots look stunted but are green and standing. should I leave them in the ground longer? so far its not warming up!

#24 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 07:47 AM

I would go ahead and dig them up.
  • speedyg said thank you

#25 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 08:11 AM

How long do you all think I can leave my tators in the ground? the last two weeks we have dipped below freezing twice, as I am writing this the tep is 43 degrees. I have them covered, the tomatoes are shot! the tators are looking rough but still have some green showing. my carrots look stunted but are green and standing. should I leave them in the ground longer? so far its not warming up!

Once the vines have died, you can dig the potatoes. If you have had a couple frosts, by all means dig those taters. They are not worth a darn if you have to jack hammer them out of frozen ground! Besides which I Flat would not do it? Got my fill of bending potato forks many years ago.
Hope you have an abundant harvest!
I had 3- 50 ft rows,(Yukon gold,Kennebec, & Red Pontiac) and dug the last of them 3 weks ago. After robbing them through the summer, I got about 80 lbs per row at the end of their season.
They sure have better flavour, than the market bought taters that have been in storage for who knows how long.
The wife tells me we are doubling the size of the garden next year, so will plant more next year.
For sure there will be at least twice as many Yukon Golds planted next year. My dad raved about how good the ones I took to him were. I am assuming since you have had two frosts already you are pretty far north. The Yukon Gold(90-100 days) has a pretty short growing season and may be a good choice for your area? I know I dug them 4 weeks before the Reds and 6 weeks before the Kenebecs.

Edited by JD DANNELS, September 15, 2011 - 08:38 AM.

• speedyg said thank you

#26 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 02:50 PM

Thanks guys for the replies! Sounds like you did well this year JD. :) I really like your choice of the yukon golds, I run into this problem every year. I am not to far north but I am pretty high. We live in Colorado on the north side of Pikes Peak at 8,500ft. The peak has some snow but so far we have been spared. I do agree that the food from the garden is so much better than the store. What a joy!!! Thanks again.

#27 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 15, 2011 - 05:41 PM

Ok I understand, I have spent a lot of vacations in the Colroard Springs area. And have said if I won the lottery I would buy a condo there for a summer home.
We used the Springs as a base and ranged out from there. Spent a lot of time around WestCliff.
My brother lives on the western slope, West Cliff Colorado.
At 8,500 ft you could get cold pretty early. So might want to look at crops, with a short growing season.
Heck I've had more than one snowball fight in July out there.

#28 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 01:55 AM

Ok I understand, I have spent a lot of vacations in the Colroard Springs area. And have said if I won the lottery I would buy a condo there for a summer home.
We used the Springs as a base and ranged out from there. Spent a lot of time around WestCliff.
My brother lives on the western slope, West Cliff Colorado.
At 8,500 ft you could get cold pretty early. So might want to look at crops, with a short growing season.
Heck I've had more than one snowball fight in July out there.

yeh, It is possible to get snowed on mid summer. :) I was raized in C.S. when it was a small town. now I live in Woodland Park. It had one street light at the time now I think it has 8 or 9 cant seam to run away from the people!!!!!! ;( how do you research and buy
sead and starts for fast growing crops? also I have done alot of backpacking in the peaks around Westcliff, real nice area!

#29 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 16, 2011 - 08:00 AM

What was I thinking, my brother does not live in West Cliff? He's in Cedar Edge. Just north of Delta on the edge of the Mesa Grande. I too have done some hiking in the Sangra De Cristo's, the altitude will tear up a flatlander like me.

And Yeah, I remember being in CS back in 1954, my uncle in the army fell off a roof and broke his arm.
The Fort was 5 miles south of town then?