28 replies to this topic

#1 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 01:14 AM

I was reading about the potatoes in this forum and I have potatoe plants that are about 14" tall. If I hill them to about 5" are you all saying that the plant will also produce potatoes in the hill?

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 08:15 AM

Here's a picture of my potatoes.

You hill the potatoes because if they are exposed to the sunlight they will turn green. The majority of the potatoes will grow right under the plant

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens ek10 009.jpg

• speedyg said thank you

#3 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 10:37 AM

So if I don't have any potatoes exposed to the sun there is no need to mound?

#4 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 11:14 AM

I plant my potatos right on top of the ground here, and then run a hiller over the top to raise the dirt up[ about 6 to 8 ". Theres no need to dig a hole or a trench. If you put a tator in a bucket and covered it with dirt, let the plant grow up , then add more dirt over time to the top of the bucket, soon the whole bucket will be full of dirt and tators, as theyll grow right off the stems. I have done it with a 55gl plastic barrel in the past, but its hard to move around and you have to water it all the time. Any way all my tators grow above the level suface of the ground, so when i dig its a lot easier than having to go deep into the harder part of the garden.
  • Alc and speedyg have said thanks

#5 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 04:59 PM

thanks guys I think I have a better understanding now. I think I will mound mine and see how she goes. :)

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 10:06 PM

You definatley want to hill those potatoes. Especially if you have ground that compacts. You want loose soil that will allow the tubers to expand beneath ground. I've grown potatoes in ground that would pack so tight in late summer that you would bend a potato Fork digging them.

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 07:36 AM

neat little trick i learned with ''tators'' is to start them in an old rubber tire, as the ''tator'' grows you add another tire and fill with soil, i have gone as high as 4 car tires high with good results, more ''tators'' per plant, but the catch 22 is you have to water them every day, they drain fast, next time i may add layers of peat moss or some kind of water retaining compond,
trowel

#8 Dirtdoc OFFLINE  

Dirtdoc

• Member No: 4434
  • 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 10:49 PM

potato's make taters above where you put your "seed" potato...If you put the seed 6'' underground there would be no need to "hill" them.. My grandma did it this way for years..Most folks will plant them only a few inches deep.. so you need to add dirt(hilling) so the new tators are covered... If the new tators are exposed to the sun they will turn green and then become poisonous to us humans. The other replies are correct.. you can grow in buckets, tires, you could even just cover them in newspapers..just don't let the tators get exposed to sunlight...Good luck..Greg

#9 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 12:40 AM

Thanks to all, I have heard that potatoe's rob the soil of some nutrients? is this true,and if so what do you all do to keep the soil rich? And for the rest of your soil in the garden also?

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 09:59 AM

Thanks to all, I have heard that potatoe's rob the soil of some nutrients? is this true,and if so what do you all do to keep the soil rich? And for the rest of your soil in the garden also?

Tough question! Libraries are filled with various ideas on that question. So there is no 1 right answer?
I'm on a new place so did nothing this year. I mulch my garden and till the grass clipping in at season end.
I try to keep things as organic as possible. Once I've harvested I will plant a legume cover crop and till that again in the spring.
I dug 10 hills of potato last night and got close to 20 lbs. a lower production rate that I expected(I expect5 lbs per hill average) but they were nice potatoes.
  • speedyg said thank you

#11 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 02:32 PM

Thanks JD, I know everyone has an opinion, I handle the chore alot like you. My crops are fairly good but could be better I think.

#12 Dirtdoc OFFLINE  

Dirtdoc

• Member No: 4434
  • 12 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 09:58 PM

You could go to the local farm store and buy the big 3 (nitrogen,Phosphorous, and potash). That will grow plants..But if you want flavor..then you need the big 3 plus organic matter....Lots of it..... barn manure, grass clippings, leaves, green manure, compost....anything that will add organic matter helps tremendously..
Does tators pull nutrients..Yep.. Takes a bunch of nitrogen,phos., and potash for big crop. Take a soil test to your local extention office to see how fertile your garden is.
Greg
  • speedyg said thank you

#13 valley ranch OFFLINE  

valley ranch

• Member No: 5493
  • 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 02:42 PM

We are doing the tire thing with the potatos. We have wire on the bottom and will put wire, chicken wire, on now again to keep squirrels out. They, the squirrels, cleaned us out last year.

Been using barn beding straw in the tires for fill and nutrients. Wondering about fresh goat and horse tea, if it is too strong.

#14 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 12:13 AM

What is horse tea???

#15 valley ranch OFFLINE  

valley ranch

• Member No: 5493
  • 0 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 01:40 AM

Horse tea is made with horse biscuits. You put a few biscuits in a can of water, the next day you have horse tea.

What is horse tea???