• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted August 01, 2011 - 06:04 PM

Daniel, we set a record high of 112 today. Supposed to be hotter tomorrow. I, for sure, wouldn't mind shoveling a little right about now.
Ray, I haven't noticed too many 'underdressed' ladies lately. Must be the heat affecting me.

Not supposed to get under 100 until after 10:00 p.m. 109 at the airport right now and I'm 1/2 miles away.

#47 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted August 01, 2011 - 09:14 PM

I guess I'm sort of an optimist as I seem to look for the good side of things but I will agree that 112 degrees is just too doggone HOT !!

#48 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 06:13 AM

Well, here's our 7 day outlook. YUK!
Temps.jpg

#49 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 06:15 AM

I'm signed up for our local Fair parade at 6pm today, too hot for me (100+ predicted), not worth the risk! This will only be the second one I've missed in many years. ~~ grnspot

#50 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 06:27 AM

I can understand that. I don't get out much in the evenings as I work in AC all day. Not going to take that chance, either. Stay cool!

#51 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 06:28 AM

Kenny , how do people with outdoor jobs deal with that high heat ? Thinking that jobs that are tough to do in normal weather like blacktopping , roofing , ect would be very hard to do in that heat .

#52 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 06:42 AM

If you work in the heat(instead of AC) most of the time, it is a lot easier to do. I had a backhoe years ago and worked until about 3:oo p.m. most days. Just started earlier. Wasn't hard to drink 3+ gallons of water a day. Blacktop is sometimes done at night, concrete the same as you don't want that to set up too quick. I haven't worked outside in a number of years, now. So I'm not adjusted to it anymore.

#53 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 09:24 AM

I'll be pouring 40+ yards of concrete Friday. Going to start as early as they can deliver. Only "supposed" to be 91 for the high.

#54 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 03:06 PM

I'll be pouring 40+ yards of concrete Friday. Going to start as early as they can deliver. Only "supposed" to be 91 for the high.

you had better have plenty of help and get the ground very wet because the warm dry ground/stone will suck the moisture out of the concrete faster than you can knock it down and finish it .

#55 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,415 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 04:39 PM

You got that right, Gary. Good luck on the pour, Daniel. I'll sit this one out, thank you.

#56 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 05:04 PM

Just gonna be my 125lb older brother & I as dad is not able to do this anymore at 85yrs old, and I'll have my son milking for at least 2 of the 4 loads. I just hope my skinny brother can lift the bull float! LOL A good driver can really cut the manual labor, so gonna tell them to send gooduns! This is a silage pit floor, not a shop floor, so perfection isn't needed, just a pretty level decently smooth floor. After it cures enough, w'll be spraying on a high-end sealer which is supposed to make it acid resistant. Good drivers or not, it's gonna be a long tough day, and I milk that night!

#57 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 05:06 PM

Well, parade starts in 20 minutes -------------------- I'm setting here in front of this computer (and a fan), in the AC. Don't regret my decision one bit, It's 102 out there! ~~ grnspot

#58 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 05:10 PM

Well, parade starts in 20 minutes -------------------- I'm setting here in front of this computer (and a fan), in the AC. Don't regret my decision one bit, It's 102 out there! ~~ grnspot

I'm inside in front of the computer too, with central air at 75 degrees, and a desktop fan in my face & pedestal fan to my side. But then I've been outside in the heat 95% of the day since 6am.

#59 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 06:41 PM

I'm inside in front of the computer too, with central air at 75 degrees, and a desktop fan in my face & pedestal fan to my side. But then I've been outside in the heat 95% of the day since 6am.

I've been out some earlier today; some yard work (watering), had my annual appointment with my Oncologist today, then some shop work this afternoon (piddling with the NTM 314. My small shop has an AC unit, doesn't get it below 90 in this weather, but gets the humidity down enough to be able to work with fans.

BTW, how your dairy production holding up in this heat? :( ~~ grnspot

#60 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 07:20 PM

The cows have dropped 3 to 5lbs per day, so holding up awfully well considering the definite heat stress. I would have expected a drop of 10lbs/day or more if it were not for 100' of sprinkler hose overhead at the feed bunk & 4 new fans in the freestalls. Heck, without those things, we'd have cows dropping dead all over the place!