tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 07:58 PM

In the 39 years I worked in construction here in Central Texas I only got over heated one time and that was while working on a copper roof in the middle of August. I remember how it felt leading up to it and avoid putting myself in that state. If you're sweating and staying hydrated you're OK, it's when you suddenly stop sweating that you're getting into trouble. Wearing a long sleeve cotton shirt holds moisture next to your body and helps cool you too. When I get to the point I think I'm too hot I go to the water hose and run cool water on my arms which works fantastically. I never pay much attention to what the weather man says about chill factor and heat index, if it's cold, it's cold and if it's hot, it's hot. Personally, I prefer HOT because when it's cold I hurt. I love being outside and adjust accordingly. Stay cool guys, heat can be dangerous or fatal.

#17 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 09:27 PM

we have a little weather moving in and the temp has dropped some now but its going to be hot again tomorrow . yesterday i was changing a condenser on top of a huge Prowl tank in a chemical plant and i started getting goose bumps for some dern reason .

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 01:19 AM

... I started getting goose bumps for some dern reason .

You weren't very far from heat exhaustion. Been there, done that.

Glad you got done and down before the dizzies hit.

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 08:56 AM

I've been so hot several times that I had crackling sounds & feelings in my head. I knew my head was throbbing like a hammer inside it, but when you start feeling & hearing crackling in your head, it's time for a water hose to cool your head down. Never stopped sweating completely, but it slowed down quite a bit. Usually I sweat like crazy.

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 12:13 PM

I have been close a couple of times. I usually end up getting the shakes and light headed and I know to get out of the heat and get something to drink. It has been really hot the last couple of days with the highest being 115 with the heat index. It wouldn't be bad if it wasn't for the humidity.

#21 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 01:15 PM

i beat the heat this morning but not for long . i hooked up to the boat and went to the lake at 4:30 this morning all by my lonesome . about 4 1/2 5 hours in to this bass fishin trip i caught 6 bass and it was getting hot so i trough in the towel . boat ran good its the second time this year i had it out ( what a shame that is ) i used to go 2-3 times a week but just cant find the time anymore .

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 02:55 PM

Well I'm getting ready to hit the milking parlor. Who's up to joining me in the approximately 125 heat index in there with those hot cows? Any takers? I didn't think so! The 12 cows give off about 60,000btu, plus the nearly 100% humidity. It gonna be fun! I do have a tiny office in the parlor & have AC turned on in there. After every 24 cows, I'll head in there for about 5 minutes or until I cool down.

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 03:16 PM

Daniel, I'll be over as soon as I can drive there. LOL Posted these down below, but thought you guys might like to see.
Image017 (Small).jpg
This was at 1:30 this afternoon. First is under the lean-to out back, other is wireless to the front porch (shaded).

Attached Thumbnails

• Image016 (Small).jpg

#24 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 03:41 PM

I'm ready yo move to Canada, or somewhere a few states North.

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 06:05 PM

The heat got to me by 3pm today. Had to quit for a while. Working on the silage pit walls, the heat coming from the floorboard of the payloader was nearly literally cooking my feet! After a short rest I went to repair a tractor, and every time I would stand up I would get dizzy. Time to slow it down & cool. I have to go out later & pick the rest of the sweet corn, but that's it for today. The heat is wearing me down day by day. May the good Lord have mercy on us all!

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 06:20 PM

Soak up the Ac for a while. I know what you are saying about those hot floor boards. Plenty of things below them that are mighty warm this time of year. Take it easy.

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 06:49 PM

Tomorrow I'm gonna cut out a piece of 1/2" styrofoam insulation (like I'm using under my house siding) and lay on the floorboard of the payloader. That should help my feet quite a lot.

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 04:10 AM

Hope it doesn't melt! LOL Should give a little relief. Hang a generator off it and install a 110 AC unit. That would help.

#29 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 07:48 AM

My boss went to Ireland for vacation 2 weeks ago. He said it was in the 60's when he got there, and in the 40's the day he left. And misting/drizzling rain almost everyday. I may move to Ireland.

#30 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 08:39 AM

Kenny , I'm never going to complain how hot it is in the shade here in Pa after seeing your temperatures !!!!