• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 12:06 PM

Following the great thread here and info garnered from the net, I have now joined the ranks of those using this method of rust removal/conversion. My first part is 'cooking' away. Everything shows that this is a 'go'. Here's a few pics of what I have so far. I chose to start small, so I made a trip to Wally World and picked up a 35 gal. tote to use for the initial tank. Into this, I formed some 3/8" rebar. With those welded together, I filled the 'tank' with 30 gallons of water, adding 2 1/3-1/2 cups of the good stuff (Arm & Hammer washing powder). I next selected the part to be the guinea pig, one of the wheels I had taken an 8" tire off of. Interior of this wheel was severely rusted. I hooked the positive lead to the rebar, hung the wheel with an old coat hanger and hooked the negative to it. The other ends of the cables were hooked to a good sized battery with the charger hooked to it. Enough of this banter, here's what you all want. The Pics:
Image001 (Small).jpg

Have a great day, folks. I'm cooking away.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image040 (Small).jpg
  • Image004 (Small).jpg
  • Image003 (Small).jpg
  • Image005 (Small).jpg
  • Image002 (Small).jpg

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 12:21 PM

Kenny, If I understand you correctly, You hooked the battery up to the part and kept a charger on it also? Did the battery last very long? I thought you just used a charger and I haven't heard of anyone using a battery also. How long did it take to clean the wheel ?

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 12:22 PM

Did you use 2 1/3 cups of powder or 2- 1/3 of powder?

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 12:47 PM

Brian, I wasn't sure if the charger would work correctly by itself, so the battery is hooked to the tank with a charger on it. Works great. I have the charger set on a 2 amp., normal charge.
Sorry, didn't proof read that well. 2 1/3 cups powder to 30 gallons water. It's doing great. Just started about 30 minutes before I took the pic. We have some where to go, so I unhooked it for now. Will restart in the early morning.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 01:02 PM

Thanks Kenny, Thats great that you got it up and working. Dad and I are looking into doing some of this with our tractors. I am also thinking about using this process when I'm rebuilding equipment at work.
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 03:39 PM

Nice setup
:thumbs:
  • KennyP said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 04:22 PM

We got home sooner than I thought we would, so got it hooked back up. Question for the gurus on this. The wheel isn't all the way in the water. When I rotate it to get the rest, should I go ahead and clean it before rotating? Not sure what will happen to the black gunk if I don't. When I hooked it up a few minutes ago, I was wondering why it was really stirring the water. Then I noticed I had bumped the switch over to 100 amp. start. Back to 2 amp, now. Got it started again real quick, tho. I'll check it again in a while, looks like the part in the mix is already turning black.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 05:04 PM

I've been using my 50 gal. tank this summer. I found that it had slowed down so I did some reading and found an article that said you need to keep the anodes cleaned. Mine are very caked with rust so I am going to try to clean all the rust out of the tank before I start on the MF8 body parts I have to de rust.
Using the battery means that you get a purer DC current. Some battery chargers use really cheap diodes that actually will leak current in the opposite direction when there is no DC bias. This is normally provided by the battery under charge but when you use the charger alone for the electrolysis the lack of a constant DC voltage will cause reverse current to flow, which will slow down the process. I'm not sure how big a factor this is but Kenny your tank seems to be working great. The neat thing about it is it is silent and even smells good so the neighbours won't even know you are a GT fanatic who takes old iron and makes it look like new again.
  • KennyP said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 05:38 PM

Brian, this is more or less a temporary set up. I have some smaller parts that I wanted to try this on. Kind of a trial. I wasn't sure if this charger would work correctly by itself, that's why I stuck the battery inline. Seems to be working very good.
Do I need to clean this wheel before I rotate it?

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 08:04 PM

Kenny, I don't understand why you don't run a higher level to fully submerge the rim? The tub looks more than deep enough. The exposed part of the rim will be harder to clean after the oxide coating dries, so best to keep it fully under water till cleaning time.

Edited by Texas Deere and Horse, July 23, 2011 - 08:31 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 09:35 PM

Yes try to submerse the whole part because anything exposed to air begins to oxidize as soon as they are exposed to the air.
  • KennyP said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 05:42 AM

If you notice in the pic of the tub, the sides are bowing out pretty good. I'll try to get it down a little lower, maybe add more water. May have to put something across the top to keep it from 'spreading' too far. Thanks for the tips, guys.

#13 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 06:53 AM

nice setup
:thumbs:

ditto !!
  • KennyP said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 07:15 AM

I went out and checked it. Lost some water due to evaporation over nite. Put in about 7-8 gallons more water, which covered the wheel. Turned the wheel so the other side could 'cook' some. Looks to be doing real good. I think I am going to rip some plywood and support the upper parts of the outside better so it doesn't spread out so much there. The battery in line seems to make this really work well. Seeing lots of goop in the anodes already, but it is still working well. I have an old battery that has a dead cell, may hook that in line and see what happens (instead of the good one). Charger is showing about 3-4 on the gauge. If I had an extra amp gauge, I'd try to put it in line to see what it says. Thanks for looking. Will keep posting on this for a while.

#15 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 08:07 AM

Kenny, It looks like a great setup hope it works well for you. From the pictures it looks like the box you show is laundry detergent! This process works best with washing soda which is a different. It will say washing soda right on the box. Not all stores have it.
Cheers.
Larry