Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What Brand of Appliance's do YOU Like/Own ??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 07:01 AM

i recently had someone tell me that there is an "international cub cadet dealer" down the street from him. i had to explain to him that the last year for international produced cub cadets were 1981. mtd does a pretty good job of fooling people into believing that they are still a quality built machine. i go down the street to my dealer for parts and what do i see but a bunch of newer junk where the keep the repair orders. i never see any IH built machines there, maybe its because people service them themselves i dont know or could be that they rarely break.

i had to explain to him that IH doesnt build cub cadets and that the newer machines simply arent made well.

Same with a lot of stuff. We sell Washing Machines where I work. Older folk will come in asking for Maytag or GE a lot. 25 years ago, they both made nearly bullet proof machines... Now GE has sold out ( IMO ) and sell lower quality than most. Maytag was bought out by whirlpool, who made a very nice machine for about a year, then knuckled under to pressures to use less water and make them cheaper. Now I almost hate to sell them, I can't prove it, but I don't think they will hold up as long with the new design.

There are 2 repairs we see most: 1-2 yrs old, or 20 and up. ( which the parts aren't very available for).

Edited by MH81, July 26, 2011 - 02:38 AM.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 08:42 AM

Same with a lot of stuff. We sell Washing Machines where I work. Older folk will come in asking for Maytag or GE a lot. 25 years ago, they both made nearly bullet proof machines... Now GE has sold out ( IMO ) and sell lower quality than most. Maytag was bought out by whirlpool, who made a very nice machine for about a year, then knuckled under to pressures to use less water and make them cheaper. Now I almost hate to sell them, I can't prove it, but I don't think they will hold up as long with the new design.

There are 2 repairs we see most: 1-2 yrs old, or 20 and up. ( which the parts aren't very available for).

Alan, in your professional opinion, what is the best brand washing machine out there now? I have never had good service from GE in the past. Always end up ruining clothes with grease spots from grease coming up the agitator shaft. We currently have a Whirlpool about 10+yrs old & doing great.

#3 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 10:31 AM

Alan, in your professional opinion, what is the best brand washing machine out there now? I have never had good service from GE in the past. Always end up ruining clothes with grease spots from grease coming up the agitator shaft. We currently have a Whirlpool about 10+yrs old & doing great.

i know very little about washing machines but if i were to guess i would guess they are all made poorly. nothing, literally nothing has any quality anymore. its all about creating perceived quality. like a new mtd cub cadet lawn tractor, make it look pretty but make it out of the cheapest materials on the planet.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 10:57 AM

Daniel

I have it from a repairman that of the newer HE front load washers, the LG and Samsung models are the only ones he would buy. I think they are both made in Korea . We have an LG and some friends have a GE. The LG did cost significantly more but has been twice the machine, never breaking down in the 4 yr's we have had it. The GE on the other hand has had multiple leaks and major repairs in that same time frame. It also does not spin the clothes as well, negating part of the electricity savings you get by having to use the dryer less.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 11:06 AM

In the front loads, they are all about the same. Maybe a little better are the Bosch, LG & Whirlpool This is model specific. Our service technician says if he HAD to own a front loader, it would be the whirlpool Duet. He does less work on them and they are priced more reasonably than many of the other brands. All brands are service dependent. If there is not an independent in the area that services, the warranty is worthless. Some independents don't service stuff purchased elsewhere.
Samsung seems to be harder to get parts for in certain areas.

As for top load. Speed Queen hands down. They are built like a washer should be and are significantly better than everything else IMO... again if there is a servicer in the area. They have a 3 year warranty too.

Edited by MH81, July 26, 2011 - 02:40 AM.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 11:30 AM

I noticed that in another thread, we had started a discussion about appliance brands. I thought it would be neat to see how everyone feels about this. I 'm going to move a couple posts over here from that thread

I believe that LG is the best brand on the market today. They cost more, but the reliability of their product is worth it in my humble opinion.

What do you think?

#7 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:00 PM

Nobody mentioned Gibson? Asked the man named Gibson. Do they even still make Gibson appliances?

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:09 PM

none

Edited by IamSherwood, July 26, 2011 - 06:07 AM.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,264 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 09:31 PM

Sorry to do this to you Gibby, but the Gibson brand is all but defunct. They are mainly made by Frigidaire if at all.

The over computerization of appliances has made this a very difficult question to answer. There is so little QC in the circuit boards, that a brand that builds a good gas stove can have a rash of boards fail 2 yrs in. Fridges are another prime example. There is a big push for energy star fridges, but this comes at a price to longevity. Most e star units use something called Adaptive Defrost (read : circuit board). It counts door openings, duration, temperature shifts and etc to only have the fridge defrost (heat up) the min amount of time required to do the job. May save you 5-10 dollars per year but the Adapt Def boards are a major failing point. If you save 5-10 per year, but your fridge only lasts 5 years instead of 10... You see where I am going with this.

I cannot stress how important it is to get good extended warranties on some products. Would I buy one on a $449 fridge? No. But if I was buying a $2599 French Door unit, you bet your sweet bippy. Upper end product does not mean lower failure rate. When Electrolux Home first came on the market, they had all the promise of the second coming. Unfortunately they can't seem to even get their ice makers in their fridges right because of (get this) bad software code. Not even spokesperson Kelly Rippa make them worth owning. We sold many Electrolux units and have had major repairs on every one. That's right, every one. Electrolux is the parent company of Frigidaire. Guess what brand of fridge is now using the Electrolux Ice Maker? :wallbanging:

So the moral of the story is this: top of the line isn't the best, repairs will happen at every level of any brand. If you expect to get more than the warranty period out of a unit, weigh the costs of extended warranties for the product. Do NOT buy a warranty until you look it over.
Where I work, my employer got so fed up with the Ext Warranty companies trying to chimp, he started an escrow account and started selling his own. Independent from the business, this warranty is an extension of the coverage provided by the manufacturer. If it was one year parts and labor to cover operational defects, it is now 5. He sells them at 120 per unit, but a service call and one hour labor is 100. That's without any parts.

The odds that you will have a repair guy out on anything with a computer board within 5 years is pretty high. Control boards can run hundreds each, with several boards in some appliances.

I guess if anyone has a question, I will try to answer it, but model to model, year to year, the better product lines change. I tend to purchase the simplest unit that seems to be built well enough. I also go online and look up exploded views if possible and price a few expected fail parts and the computer boards. Should take you less than half an hour to do this ( unless it's LG or SAMSUNG, those two are harder to research) but I believe there is value to being an educated buyer.

One more thing, I really do think that independent service centers that sell appliances are at least a viable choice, if not the better choice. A good Service Manager can get more accomplished than a faceless voice at the 1 800 #.

OK, done... Whew! :D

Edited by MH81, July 25, 2011 - 09:39 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Gibby have said thanks

#10 Tobal OFFLINE  

Tobal

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4710
  • 3 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 10:07 PM

I have an LG washer and dryer they've been great. The washer like most front loads can smell at times. I think they are 6 yrs old or so. My FIL had a horrible experience with an LG dishwasher, pump went out twice in 2 to 3 years, the repairman said stay away from LG dishwashers. FWIW

My mom has a HE top load Staber that she loves, probably 20 yrs old, my dad wears overalls and works on oilfield pumps getting very greasy she's very happy with it. When I buy again I will get a Staber, but it will hurt they are expensive. Energy Efficient Staber Top Load Horizontal-Axis Washing Machines