7 replies to this topic

#1 MUDDAWG OFFLINE  

MUDDAWG

• Member No: 5061
  • 6 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 10:00 PM

Hey guys,
my name is mike and I just picked up this olde simplicity but just cant seem to identify the model

Ive got her narrowed down to a "M" or "L" I think...
Im not even sure how many speeds it has,...
It has 4 notches on the selector knob
one pulley size on the motor and two on the transmission
and with the ratcheting of the hubs, Ill guess no reverse

does the gearbox take gearlube ?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

she came with a nice 6 row cultivator and i picked up a sickle mower today (no picture) but it will need extensive restoring to be used

I would like to aquire a plow for gardening but if i cant ill try to make one from a box blade tooth

the arn mule seems to be pretty healthy and solid , but puttin plow to ground will be the real test on this olde metal
maybe she wont tear herself apart in my garden

my 1960's troy built tiller doesnt have any problems and they look good sitting next to each other

thanks for the help
mike

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,585 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 10:09 PM

:welcome: to GTTalk Mike.

I wish I could be more help on the model, but here is a link to the manual for an early version of the same machine.
Hoe-Trac Manual
  • MUDDAWG said thank you

#3 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 10:33 PM

Looks good welcome I am sure someone will have the info youseek theseguy are very helpful
  • MUDDAWG said thank you

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 06:27 AM

:wave: MUDDAWG Welcome to GTTalk! It's great to have you here. I'm afraid that I don't know much about it so I can't really offer any help. That's a nice looking machine that you have there. The cultivator looks t be in really nice shape too! Thanks for the pics and we'd also love to see the sickle bar when you get a chance!
  • MUDDAWG said thank you

#5 MUDDAWG OFFLINE  

MUDDAWG

• Member No: 5061
  • 6 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 02:40 PM

LOLOL !
well heres the so called sickle mower i aquired
complete with a pound of JB weld and missing pieces

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

soaked in pennetrating oil for a week and all the fittings take grease,...technicaly she works
however it was observed that jb weld doesnt soak up oil
, like the rest of the rusty carcass

LOLOL ....CAVEAT EMPTOR ,...right guys ...LOLOL !

I think what i have here is a working prototype for the one Ill have to manufacture

mike

Edited by MUDDAWG, July 31, 2011 - 02:49 PM.
splleing

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 03:25 PM

Mike,welcome to the site,glad to have you with us.
  • MUDDAWG said thank you

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,578 Thanks
  • 3,897 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 04:51 PM

I don't know the difference between the "M" and "L" but I have an "M" and it looks the same. IF it is an "M" the engine should be a Briggs model 9 with 3 horsepower. Since your Techumseh has a lot more paint that the rest of the tractor I think its safe to say it was changed. No big deal. The engine pulley should have three grooves for the V-belt and all three are a different size. The largest diameter pulley groove should be closest to the engine. The smallest groove on the outside would run the powered attachment [ such as the sickle bar] and the inside two grooves run the tractor speed. That is why there are two sizes to the pulley on the gearcase. The pulley on the gearcase should have a quick-change release lever on the inside to reverse it so there is a total of four speeds to the tractor. With the single pulley on the engine you have there - you only have two speeds and no way to drive a powered attachment. Thaty will be an easy fix - you will just need a correct pulley. I might also add that with your wheels set in the narrowest position you can't get the pulley off the gearbox to change speeds as there is not enough room to slide it off the shaft.
That is a good looking rig and still a very useful machine! Welcome and glad you found GTTalk!
  • MUDDAWG said thank you

#8 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted August 01, 2011 - 05:22 AM

The 1949 Simplicity model L used a 1-1/2hp engine and the Simplicity M used a 3hp engine.
The 1950 Simplicity model L used a 2hp engine and the Simplicity M used a 3hp engine.

The Simplicity model D and L used a 4-9/16" and 6-7/8" pulley on the transmission for 4 forward speeds.
The Simplicity models L-1, LA, M, M-1 used a 5-3/4" and 8-3/8" pulley on the transmission for 4 forward speeds.

If the L-1 model tractor was sold by Montgomery Ward in 1951-55 as a HoeTrac Special model 5621 it used a Clinton 700-Series 2hp engine with 5 forward speeds and 5-12 tires.
If the M-1 model tractor was sold by Montgomery Ward in 1951-52 as a ChorTrac Special model 5622 it used a Clinton 1100-Series 3hp engine with 5 forward speeds and 6-12 tires.

I have a feeling the tractors were shipped from Simplicity to MW less the engines and MW installed the engines from their inventory as they also sold the engines alone.

I don't know how they come up with the differences in forward speeds.

Garry

Edited by GWest, August 01, 2011 - 06:08 AM.

• MUDDAWG said thank you