33 replies to this topic

#1 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1546
  • 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 09:28 PM

Ok is it me or does the crap they call country music on the radio today bad I find my self listen to hank SR JR and the 3 Waylon jennings Shooter jennings I cannot stand most of the main stream POP country. I like the old school country Just a opinion and trying to get a convosation started not to offend anyone

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 09:39 PM

I actually prefer it... Sometimes I don't even try to change the station in my wife's van.
Of course, I was never a Country fan. Only country songs I really ever bought were "Devil went down to GA" & both "Uneasy Rider"s.

#3 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 09:53 PM

All i know is Rascal Flatts is not country Music any one who says differnt should ask them selves why they wanted a lil dope like justin bieber to sind with them. beside if you seen the way Rascal flatts dresses and acts i would Question there hetro streek lol

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 06:37 AM

I grew up on a lot of Southern Rock, so I do like a lot of the newer country music, but I have to agree that the "pop" country sound does nothing at all for me! I also like the older country music. David Allen Coe is one of my favorites.
  • Rocking416 said thank you

#5 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 10:15 AM

Yes its a shame i had to buy and suscribe to XM radio just to be able to hear decent music alot of the country from the 80's early 90's was good George strait, Vince gill, The judds, Confederate Railroad, and a few others i cannot recall

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 10:50 AM

Soutern Rock and 70's- 80's Country music is all I listened to growing up and into my 20's. Now I listen to Christian Rock and Southern Gospel music almost all the time, my radio stays on K-LOVE, or I listen to my old CD's of Southern Rock and Country.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 11:19 AM

I think it is a generational and cultural thing. I grew up in a very conservative Christian home during the 50's & 60's.
So most of the music I was familiar with was Southern Country Gospel(it still makes my heart sing). Our church had a camp meeting every summer and for 15 yrs straight the Speer Family presented the music. Saturday afternoons I watch the Gaither Show on public Tv regularly.
As I got into my teens, and got my own "Transistor Radio" I listened to 50's & 60's Rock. My Ipod is loaded with the Early Rock collection. along with some Gospel along with some Jazz,Blues and Celtic.
In the 70's, I just could not relate to the Acid & Hard Rock so switched to Country( I still have some Charlie Daniels, and Charlie Pride 8 tracks).
In the 80's i discovered Celtic Music and again it touches my heart(being of Scot Heritage).
the Radio in my car does not play music? It's set on WHO radio and all Talk radio.
So I think what we listen to is a lifelong journey changing as we mature.

#8 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 03:05 PM

Todays country for the most part is like fingernails on a chalk board. I blame Dolly Parton for introducing "pop" into country music in the early 80's. I never could understand her popularity, other than her big fake, well, you know.

I do enjoy from time to time listening to classic country, but on a daily basis I listen to either classic rock, blues and what I like to call loud angry music(not mellow stuff like Guns and Roses or Metalica). I will say one thing about modern country, they have some really good looking girls is the videos, you just have to turn the volume off to watch them.

#9 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2451
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 06:55 PM

Love David Allen Coe. Turned my kids on to him back in the late 80's (when they were old enough to appreciate TRUE country) and they love Coe as well. Also a big fan of Waylon Jennings, One of the best guitarist's ever in my opinion. I like King George also. (guy can sing about anything and sell a million records) 70's Texas rock like ZZ Top." GOOD STUFF"

#10 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 06:59 PM

Should add though, the town I deliver in is where Steven Tyler and Joe Perry spend their summers. So I have to at least act like I like them. (Joe Perry held a door open for me the other day while I was making the delivery to a gun shop. )

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 07:07 PM

Jimmy Buffet started out trying to do some country. I like that stuff.

#12 KIRO-1 OFFLINE  

KIRO-1

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 40 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 07:18 PM

This is true Will. Long Live Jimmy Buffet! http://gardentractor...ABJRU5ErkJggg==

#13 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 08:06 PM

I agree that most of this new stuff is junk to me. I was country before being country was cool. When I was in Vietnam, 1966, KVET radio in Austin sent me a tape from one of their shows. That was pure heaven. There's nothing like scootin a boot and polishing your belt buckle..........where's Haggard when you need him!

#14 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

Rocking416

Tractorholic

• 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 08:16 PM

I cannot stand jimmy buffet NO OFFENSE Have you heard any of Hank 3 s stuff he is alot like his grandfather Shooter jennings Waylons son is good to they both have there own record labels and make there own music they arent to partial to that nashville crap they call country.

#15 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 08:46 PM

I like King George also. (guy can sing about anything and sell a million records)

He is THE MAN and the real deal too boot. Holds an agricultural degree from I believe west texas state university and is a gen-u-ine cowboy. By far my absolute favorite singer of all time. Also has more number 1 hits than anoyone in history. While my preference is the older country and whatever George puts out I like almost everything on country radio today. I think it worlds better than the mainstream music like Lady Gaga and so on. Having said that, the fact that I was in band in school gives me an appreciation for all genres of music and I can usually turn the dial and find something on that I will listen too. I willl also listen to talk radio from time to time as well, but having grown up on a farm my heart will always be with country music.