• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 04:37 PM

This afternoon I was attempting to finish up the maintenance on my "new" 224. I removed the air cleaner and carb to adjust the valves on the Kohler 321. So far no trouble but I noticed the governor rod was lose and flopping around in the retaining nut. I took off the linkage, unscrewed the nut and took it down to the lathe. I bored it and put in a bushing so everything was nice and smooth without the slop. I put everything back together setting the governor per the instructions in the Kohler manual.

That's where the progress stopped. It appears I don't have a governor any more. It won't kick in to bring the engine back to speed when its loaded, and sometimes when it's sitting at idle it starts to speed up and could possible over speed if I don't lower the throttle setting. I noticed when I was sliding the brass nut off the shaft it caught on a burr and the cross shaft came with it for about 1/4". It slipped back into place but I don't know if it's in proper alignment.

I also found oil leaking around the governor gear retaining bolt so I removed it and reseald it. My understanding is that the only purpose of this bolt is to hold the gear in place when assembling the engine. I don't know if the linkage adjustment is delicate and I just don't have it yet, or I pulled something apart that's going to require some serious disassembly. The initial setting procedure in the manual looks pretty crude but maybe I'm missing something.

Any insight would be appreciated, Thanks, Projectnut

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 17, 2011 - 04:45 PM

PN, it's been quite some time since getting into a Kohler, so I can't be of much help, as my memory is not so good. I re-learn a lot of things over & over. Could be that the governor push cup slid completely off the governor assembly. I sure hope not, as you have to pretty much completely disassemble the engine to get to it.

#18 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:49 PM

Well, success at last. I must have gone through the "initial governor adjustment" process at least a dozen times before I got it to work properly. I did everything by the book over and over again but still there didn't seem to be any governor. Either it would lug down under the slightest load or take off at full speed at the touch of the throttle. The last time I went through the process I held the cross shaft in position with a needle nose vise grip then positioned the governor arm. Once everything was secure I gave it a try. Low and behold we have success. Now that we're back to square 1 I'll finish a few maintenance items and go to work.

#19 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 07:37 PM

Great News !!!! Glad you found your problem and everything is running well again, Al

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 09:03 PM

Great News !!!! Glad you found your problem and everything is running well again, Al

I'll second that. Great when something that frustrates finally behaves itself.

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 09:07 PM

Great news PN!

#22 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 22, 2011 - 12:03 AM

Glad you gotter figured out. It pays to have the patience of Jobe. Sometimes just walk away for a while come back and it will seem to fall in place. He he. Been there many times myself.

#23 jscam OFFLINE  

jscam

• Member No: 1902
  • 21 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 06:23 AM

Welcome to GTT! Glad to hear you got it up and running, those old Kohler governors can be finicky sometimes. I have also bushed the gov. rod nut, and like you it did tighten it up, but what I found was that usually when the nut was worn that bad, the shaft is also. Just something to keep in mind if and when you do a rebuild, a new shaft and nut isnt a whole lot of money.

What you might also find is it leaking a considerable amout of oil due to the worn shaft, remove the nut, place a couple of small o rings on the shaft and screw the nut back in. It won't fix it totally but, it will slow down the leak. (if yours does)

One other issue, if I recall correctly, my Kohler manual does'nt state when setting up the governor that the throttle needs to be in the full throttle position. That step makes a huge difference on setup. (duhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Have fun...........those are GREAT little tractors........you'll love it.

#24 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted August 23, 2011 - 10:35 AM

I'm happy to report there is no oil leakage at the governor cross shaft or the gear retaining bolt. I also mic ed the shaft and there is no appreciable wear. The engine was professinnally rebuilt about 4 years ago according to the previous owner. The rebuilder didn't have a new cross shaft nut and since it wasn't that bad at the time he only replaced the cross shaft itself. 4 years later there was enough additional wear on the nut to warrant a new bushing. It was still worjing properly but as long as I had things apart I decided to address it.

Setting the governor was a learn as you go experience. I have 3 different Kohler manuals covering the procedure and they all differ depending on the age of the engine and make and style carb that's installed. Mine happens to fall between all the cracks. It has a replacement early style Walbro. It has different linkage than any covered in the books and also has adjstable main and idle jets.

I think the main problem getting the adjustment right was that the cross shaft was slipping slightly before I got the linkage tightened. By holding the shaft with the vise grips I was able to put enough pressure on it for it to remain stationary while tightening the linkage. I took it out again yesterday and everything worked fine.

The next test is to load the trailer with wood and climb the hill to the house. It's not as steep as the one where I'll be using it but it should be a good test. The next step is to build a bracket for front weights. I'm sure it's going to need some since my JD does doing the same job.

#25 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hey nut, You should read up on the holding valve option before you go climbing and descending any hills. The trans will about hit a freewheel and can scare you running away down a hill.

#26 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 09:11 AM

The first time I tried it I got the ride of my life going down the hill in front of the house. I had it in high range and the motion control valve about in the middle of the forward range. It started free wheeling and away we went. It has a new brake band but the previous owner had never adjusted it so that was pretty much useless. I put the motion control valve in neutral thinking it would slow things down. Instead we gained even more speed. I was a bit surprised that it would gain that much speed since I go up and down the hill regularly on my loader with no problems. That's when I remembered I'd installed a couple piloted check valves in the loader drive system just to eliminate that problem.

After I returned to the garage I got out the maunal and did a little reading. I don't know what year they started installing the combination valve, but my book says you should put the motion control lever in the retard range when descending hills. If the hill is too steep you can even shift it to the reverse retard range to slow or stop things. I gave it another try with the engine at 1/2 throttle, low range, and with the lever in the forward retard setting. The machine slowly crept down the hill without gaining any speed whatsoever. By the way I also adjusted the brake band before the test just in case I needed a little extra stopping power. Since then I've gone up and down the hill several times without any problems.

Next week I'll load the trailer (actually an Agrifab 1,000 lb capacity garden tractor cart) with a few hundred pounds of wood and give it another try. I was going to do it this week but had to make a few modifications and repairs to the trailer. If everything works well I'll make a front weight bracket for the tractor and put it to work. The nice thing about where I'm going to use the machine is that it always goes down the hill empty and up the hill with a load.

#27 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 05:00 PM

I finally got around to taking a few pictures of the beast. It obviously isn't museum quality, but I think I'll get several more years of work out of it as long as I keep it in good repair. I had great plans to be finished with all the upgrades this week. As usual things didn't go quite as planned. Now it'll have to set in the garage until early November. It seems that all the time between now and then is spoken for. We'll be meeting old friends and heading down the Mississippi toward New Orleans for a somewhat extended vacation.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN3923.jpg
  • DSCN3924.jpg
  • DSCN3922.jpg
  • DSCN3921.jpg
  • DSCN3920.jpg

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted September 01, 2011 - 05:16 PM

Nice tractor, thanks for the pics. Sounds like you are learning what it will/will not do. Good luck with it and enjoy the vacation. Take lots of pics while going down the Big Muddy. Sounds like a great time.