• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• Member No: 5067
  • 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 06:19 PM

Hi all: I just purchased my first Case garden tractor this week. It's a 1980 model 224. So far I've done a fairly thorough inspection and find I have a few minor problems to correct before putting it to work. I just downloaded a couple manuals to get the basic information, but I'm sre I'll have to ask all you experts a few questions before the job is complete.

Thanks, Projectnut

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 06:29 PM

Would you be Projectnut from MBN? Either way, welcome to GTT! Glad to have you!

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 07:32 PM

:wave: projectnut Welcome to GTTalk! It's great to have you on board! I assume from your wording that you intend to do a restore? Anyway, I'm sure that the folks on here will be more than happy to help! We'd also love to see some pics of it...before and after pics are always good :D Good luck with your new toy!

#4 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 08:46 PM

Welcome to GTtalk. I've got a 220 that I'm trying to get back in shape.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,219 Thanks
  • 28,590 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 09:10 PM

:welcometogttalk: glad you found us,

When you gent chance, put up a couple of pics.

#6 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 08:18 AM

Olcowhand you are correct. I am the projectnut from MBN. I haven't been there much lately. The board seems to have changed a bit over the years, and many of the new members don't have the same interests.

I picked up the "new" Case tractor with the intention of turning it back into a hard working machine. I'm not as tough as I was 30 years ago and moving firewood is no longer all that much "fun". I intend to restore the machine to like new working condition but not necessarily to parade or nuseum condition.

All the sheet metal is straight, the engine was professionally rebuilt about 3 years ago, and everything functions. It's going to need some work on the front end, get the brakes and some of the linkage adjusted, some new wiring, new fluids, and a good wash job. There have been some modifications made to the mower carriage, exhaust system and electrical system. My intention is to restore everything to as close to original as possible.

I'll include a few pictures as soon as I get home (i'm out of town right now) and figure out how to do it.

Thanks, projectnut

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 08:38 AM

Glad we meet again PN! Yep, the old hangout isn't what it used to be for sure. I peek in there maybe once a month. This is where anyone can find me EVERY day! Our interests here will never change.......GARDEN TRACTORS! And a few other varied things tossed in too, but our focus by far is GT's.
And I'm not anywhere near as tough as I was 30yrs ago either! I was almost 23 way back then and in my prime!
Looking forward to the pics, and we like plenty of em!

#8 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 08:01 AM

I'm considering buying a factory service manual for my Case 224 tractor. I'd like to know if anyone on the board has purchased one and if so are they worth the money. The reason I ask is beacause I've bought several service manuals in the past and have had mixed results as to how helpful they've been. The one for my JD tractor is extremely detailed and has been very helpful. The ones I bought for my Onan generator on the other hand were written for technicians with factory specific tools. The tools were referred to by number only (no illustrations) so the manual was of little help to anyone who didn't have those tools. So far the factory service manuals I've been able to find cost between $60.00 and $70.00.

Thanks, projectnut

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 08:15 AM

If they are true factory service manuals then they are definitely worth it. I don't like the places that sell reprints, I think most of them are found on ebay.

Welcome to GTtalk.

#10 Billygoat OFFLINE  

Billygoat

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2454
  • 76 Thanks
  • 206 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 07:33 PM

Exactly what manuals do you have and what manuals do you need?

#11 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 11:20 AM

I currently have the Operators manual #9-7070, and the parts catalog#B1375. Both cover the machine which has a product ID of 9783439. They have general operating instructions, maintenance information, and graphics. The graphics however in some cases show the "typical" not necessarily exact part needed. I am assuming some parts are no longer available and will need to be fabricated. I would like to find some type of manual with more specific information and graphics.

One area of concern is the exhaust system. The original pipe, muffler, and shrouds have been removed. The exhaust system currently consists of a pipe comming off the head turned down about 2" from the block. It's about 16" long with a generic Kohler muffler screwed on the end. The muffler is about 3" in front of the foot rest at almost the same height. I find my foot touching it whenever I drive the machine. It's so close to the mower deck it's turned the belt installation decal black. My intention is to restore the exhaust (and all other components) to as close to original as possible. But at 31 years old I'm not confident I can find (or necessarily afford) all the original parts.

While all the hydraulic and drive components currently operate properly I am also looking for specific information such as tolerences, pressures, range of motion, etc, etc so I can rebuild the pump, motor, or differential should the need arize.

I have experience in fabricating both sheet metal and mechanical parts and a fairly complete machine shop. Currently in the shop are a vertical and horizontal milling machine, a lathe, several drill presses, a sheet metal shear and brake, a hydraulic press, an arbor press, a couple band saws, and other various fabrication equipment. I'm not afraid to make or repair components as necessary. The trouble is right now I'm not sure what pieces are missing or have been modified. I'd like to know what the originals were supposed to look like and how they were supposed to operate before attempting to create replacements.

Thanks, projectnut

#12 cp7 OFFLINE  

cp7

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1369
  • 58 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted July 26, 2011 - 12:17 PM

There isn't a service manual for the Case tractors like your JD manual. What Case did was have an individual manual for each of the systems, hydraulic, electrical, rear end etc. They're small maybe twenty page manuals and the Case motto was that they were written in Clear And Simple English.
The guy on eBay selling the individual manuals for $50 is going to go hungry first since you can go download them free at GTtalk has an absolutely Terrific Case Forum, that is why I am a member here..com It's a great forum dedicated to the Case garden tractors. GTTalk is a great site too so be sure and come back.

An exhaust can be had on eBay if you keep an eye out and about 99% of the rest of the tractor can be had new from dealers that are members of the forums like

Brian Hildreth Salem Power Equipment, Plymouth, MI salempwr@aol.com

Tom Hanson Sheridan Service Garage Waupaca, Wisconsin hanson.thomas@att.net

• projectnut said thank you

#13 projectnut OFFLINE  

projectnut

• 25 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 08:32 AM

There isn't a service manual for the Case tractors like your JD manual. What Case did was have an individual manual for each of the systems, hydraulic, electrical, rear end etc. They're small maybe twenty page manuals and the Case motto was that they were written in Clear And Simple English.
The guy on eBay selling the individual manuals for $50 is going to go hungry first since you can go download them free at GTtalk has an absolutely Terrific Case Forum, that is why I am a member here..com It's a great forum dedicated to the Case garden tractors. GTTalk is a great site too so be sure and come back.

An exhaust can be had on eBay if you keep an eye out and about 99% of the rest of the tractor can be had new from dealers that are members of the forums like

Brian Hildreth Salem Power Equipment, Plymouth, MI salempwr@aol.com

Tom Hanson Sheridan Service Garage Waupaca, Wisconsin hanson.thomas@att.net

Thanks for the heads up on the manuals. I went to the Case site last night and downloaded a few. They should make working on the machine a bit easier. I'm making a list of needed parts. It's not all that big but I'd like to go through everything and then make just 1 order. When the time comes I'll contact the dealers you mentioned.

Thanks, projectnut

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 09:51 AM

Projectnut,welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,367 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted August 06, 2011 - 07:47 AM

:welcometogttalk: PN. I don't come in here very often as I don't have a Case. But, I'll have to make the exception and follow along with this. I just might learn a few things as it sounds like you get very detailed with your tractors upkeep. Good luck with it.