8 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 04:04 PM

We have this John Deere model R sitting in our shed. It's been there since the early 80's and has been covered too. The pony popped a rod back in the 70's, was rebuilt, than one of the wrist pins in it broke loose after it was completely rebuilt. John Deere parts have not done us any good on this... But any way it was used from the mid 70's though early 80's by pull starting until farm operation came to a crawl, no one was left to farm full time.

So now we are moving to today in the time line. There is this nice John Deere R in the shed that is driving me insane! It's in the way, we could definitely use the space as we are supposedly getting another tractor soon. I have come to the conclusion to either start urging Grandpa to sell it, or fix it. I was thinking of turning it into a winter time project for us. I thinking of taking the pony engine down to the cities with me and fixing it up. All the pony needs is a new sleeve otherwise everything in that engine is brand new hardly used.

Now I've also been told the diesel was starting to burn oil. Not at a fast rate or a rate that would start hinting at needing a rebuild, but it was burning some oil. We got this tractor used at an auction back in the 60's I believe. It was well used and abused by that point and than we just used it as is until the pony gave out. My thinking is since the diesel is already at the point where it is nearing the need for a rebuild that it should get one.

My question is, where can I get parts for this? I'm not sure but to the best of my knowledge, along with anything else that john deere no longer carries parts for theses tractors.

Also, how much more goes into rebuilding a diesel than a gas engine? I'm sure my grandfather knows a fair bit on working on them as he bought the tractor and used it and fixed it when it needed it. My reason for asking this is I need my facts right or this idea wont ever become more than a forgotten idea.

I don't see us having much use for this tractor other than to get it the heck out of the shed at this point. Even more so if we get the tractor we are looking into. Does any one have any experience with these tractors to be able to tell me what they are good for other than plowing? Would it work for baling small squares, or is it too large of a tractor for that type of work? My only reason for considering fixing it is so that I have another way to prove to my grandfather that I am serious about working here on the farm and not just playing with the idea of farming.

The biggest problem with working on it currently is, we have no way to get it out of the shed unless it's running. It has to do a complete 180 to get out of it's current resting spot and we don't have anything to pull that front end around in the limited space.

I copied this from MTF where I posted it before. I figure since MTF is rather slow or non existent on the bigger stuff unless it's ford I will try here too.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• 016.jpg
  • 018.jpg
  • 015.jpg

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 04:29 PM

Have you thought of selling it "As Is" to a collector/restorer. If your grandfather agrees that is! It's a shame for it to just sit there rotting away.

#3 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 04:43 PM

Two Cylinder Plus Salvage, Steiner Tractor & Restoration Supply come to mind for parts. ~~ grnspot

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 07:17 PM

It's a shame to see that machine holding up all of that stuff! That's a lot of unused / unusable space to tie up. I wish you the best with convincing Grandpa to do something with it!

#5 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 11:45 PM

Well, my uncle was over tonight and we did some fence pulling on another part of our property and I had brought it up. He agreed and we both pinned Grandpa in the shed facing it while we went over some ideas. Grandpa seemed very corned by the way he acted, even though we didn't get anything out of him I think we got some gears moving. As you have probably already figured out, with every thing it takes time, more than it should with Grandpa. We've needed a larger loader tractor for the last 3 years and he's finally agreed to let us look. How ever he left one condition, it has to have a cab. His age (69yrs old) has finally caught up with him (sort of), the heat gets to him and he can't lift the hay bales like he used to. But I tell you, if he gets a good night sleep you can't keep up with him and if you try you will be worn out before dinner time.

I think tomorrow, even though I think I should wait... I will go and do some very light cleaning around it and hide some of the moldy cardboard strips in the fire pit. He does not notice slow changes like I would, either that or he notices and does not think much of it considering we have a lot of raccoons running around here.

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 07:38 AM

The tractor still looks to be in decent shape.... Keep us updated on what happens

#7 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 09:05 AM

JD Rs are in demand for collectors.

#8 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 08:14 PM

Not much is new. I've decided for sure I'm going to push to get it at least running. If we so have to end up selling it I know we can get a lot more if the pony runs and the diesel even just cranks over.

I tried Two cylinder plus but no response from them by phone or email yet. I'm going to try Deere tomorrow as logn as we don't get any more severe weather and loose some more branches.

#9 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 09:15 PM

I was at a show today and sawone on steel. Never saw one on steel before in my life. They were mid 50s tractors and steel was rare.