Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

driveshaft on 124 bent? throwout bearing price?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 11:54 PM

im just starting to analyze what is going to have to be serviced or replaced when i do get to the re-assembly phase of my tractor restoration. i noticed that the driveshaft has wobble to it, i think i might require a new one. has anyone ever made one out of rod stock. i think the price of a new driveshaft is around the $100 mark which seems a little much. the prices that mtd charges for these parts is almost like planned obsolescence, i mean they are still available which is a good thing but the prices are nuts. $250 bucks for a gas tank, good example of stupid prices. also the throwout bearing is around 60 bucks, and i dont have any real problem with that but can i get it cheaper elsewhere. its not that i cannot afford these prices i just think its way to much money for what they are selling you. i want this tractor to be right mechanically without replacing things dont dont need replacement. i dont want to go to use the machine and 2 or 3 months later start to have these things fail and requiring more messing around with it. i want to fix it right the first time without spending a fortune.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 05:12 AM

I remember seeing something on building a new drive shaft, but I think it was on a Cub forum that I no longer belong to. I know what you mean about parts prices. They get expensive on this old iron some times.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 06:53 AM

Of course it's planned obsolescence! If you're still running the old ones, you won't buy a new one and that takes money out of their pockets as the new ones are built with only the profit margin in mind.

#4 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 07:57 AM

well maybe, just maybe if they built stuff that wasnt built like a cheap disposable bic lighter a certain demographic that runs stuff built in the 1970's would buy new or newer. but im not buying junk

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 05:29 PM

I found a drilling jig.jpg, but I don't belong to that forum so can't see it. It's over at Cub Cadet Collectors. If you want to join up there, you will be able to make a new drive shaft. Can't help on the throw out bearing.

#6 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Parts prices are always more at OEM dealers, especially on older tractors. Thats just the nature of the beast with older equipment. If there are fewer and fewer of a model out there that people are buying parts for from an OEM dealer the price WILL be higher due to the overhead that is involved with keeping those parts on hand. To get better prices its beter to go thru someone who specializes in parts for the older machines and still carries new parts. These people are where you get the best deals on what you need.

The bearing for the old gear drive cubs is its own thing, last I knew there was no generic crossover for it. The way to find a deal is to shop around the price. I just checked online and a new driveshaft and bearing for a narrow frame can be had from Patton Acres for less than 75 bucks for the two. Shipping would add to this but the price is way better than what you've allready found and I believe that Rich is an advertiser here on the site. I would have no trouble buying from him or Chris Westfall at Cub Cadet Classics in Ohio. Another good source for used and some new parts is Ray Weaver in Stephens Pa. I've bought parts from all these gentlemen and they are all good guys to deal with.

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,337 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 08:41 PM

My old 102 needed a new driveshaft.The clutch spring spin a few times because of a tight bearing.Darn near cutting the driveshaft in 1/2.

I made one out of a piece of stainless rod stock I had laying under the Lathe in the scrap box down at the farm.
It turned out really good.All I did was cut it to length and drill the 3 holes in it.I drilled it using the drill press with a small drill press Vice.

I also reused my old bearing.Soaked it in Kerosine till it freed up and drilled a small hole in the side and filled it with fresh grease using a chainsaw Bar syringe type grease gun.It's held up for 4 years of heavy use so far and still works great.

Edited by EricFromPa, July 23, 2011 - 08:47 PM.

#8 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 281 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 08:36 AM

Buy a parts tractor with a good driveshaft then you will have a supply of parts or you could sell what you don't want and get your driveshaft for next to nothing. I seen a craigs listing for a complete 149 witha bad motor for $125 for a few weeks. If I had the room I would give it a home but I already have a tractor out in the yard (I live in a subdivision).

#9 wawcub47 OFFLINE  

wawcub47

• Member No: 852
  • 68 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 05:55 PM

you might try Tractor Supply.or Farm and fleet. I took my old one to TSC and found a bearing that was very close. i havnt used it yet, it is for a winter rebuild project. the number is tsc sku#11-96252 5/8 bore countyline brand. yes its made in china, but was less than 7.00. if it works that aint too bad. its sealed on both sides.

#10 junkman1946 OFFLINE  

junkman1946

• Member No: 4236
  • 6 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 06:24 PM

Driveshaft first; You can buy 5/8 round stock . You want a bit better grade of steel than regular run of the mill stuff. I buy it by the 10ft. piece last length was $90. My memory says it was something like 5135 grade steel???? Take out you old shaft, strip the clutch off it and lay it beside the new piece and drill the 1/4 inch holes.
Now the easy way: Go to midwestsupercub.net order your predrilled shaft, and high performance throw-out bearing and your done. Last bearing I bought was $45. don't know about the shaft. If your in the Northeast, eastcoastpullingparts.com