12 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 11:46 PM

i recently had someone tell me that there is an "international cub cadet dealer" down the street from him. i had to explain to him that the last year for international produced cub cadets were 1981. mtd does a pretty good job of fooling people into believing that they are still a quality built machine. i go down the street to my dealer for parts and what do i see but a bunch of newer junk where the keep the repair orders. i never see any IH built machines there, maybe its because people service them themselves i dont know or could be that they rarely break.

i had to explain to him that IH doesnt build cub cadets and that the newer machines simply arent made well.

#2 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 08:30 AM

Boy, we had strayed a long way from IH Cub Cadets in this thread.:D To continue to take this off-topic, we have a Frigidaire - it's okay, but I like the new LGs and Samsung units better.

To move this back on-topic, there is a lot of misconceptions about Cub Cadets and MTD. I see ads on Craig's List on, let's say a 2135, and the seller will post "this tractor was made before MTD built Cub Cadets", or something of that order. Well, the 2135 was made from 1994 to 1999, I believe, and MTD bought Cub Cadet in 1981, so the 2135 was made by the MTD Cub Cadet. Though I would place the 2135 as more durable than the newer Cub Cadet offerings.

Things have come a long way in the industry, some of it good, some of it not so good. The trend has been zero turns for years now, and that probably won't change much yet. But there is a lot more buyers now wanting to do more than just mow grass, so I think we will see some quality in the garden tractors, or at least I hope so.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 08:54 AM

I missed a chance to get a really nice 1914 2 years ago. It had a loader, blade, blower and mower deck with it. The seller told me it was the last of the CC's made by IH. I guess he was wrong, as those tractors were built in 85-86 which was after MTD took over. It was one beasty looking machine with AG's on the back. So even CC owners are sometimes confused about the history.

#4 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 09:01 AM

Brian,
Even though MTD owned them for years, it wasn't really until 1994 when Cub Cadet introduced the 2000 series and then later the 3000 series, that MTD's influenced was applied to the new designs. For the most part the '80s and '90s garden tractors were using most of the IH design features, except the 3 speed IH transmission. But frames, attachments, etc. dated back to the IH era.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 11:02 AM

Brian,
Even though MTD owned them for years, it wasn't really until 1994 when Cub Cadet introduced the 2000 series and then later the 3000 series, that MTD's influenced was applied to the new designs. For the most part the '80s and '90s garden tractors were using most of the IH design features, except the 3 speed IH transmission. But frames, attachments, etc. dated back to the IH era.

Yes, it did look a lot like the older designs. I have noticed that in the tractor world things change slowly and only rarely does a completely new design come from the drawing board. With my JD314 it is very much like the 140 for instance. Only when the 318 came out did the design change completely.

#6 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 10:14 PM

Boy, we had strayed a long way from IH Cub Cadets in this thread.:D To continue to take this off-topic, we have a Frigidaire - it's okay, but I like the new LGs and Samsung units better.

To move this back on-topic, there is a lot of misconceptions about Cub Cadets and MTD. I see ads on Craig's List on, let's say a 2135, and the seller will post "this tractor was made before MTD built Cub Cadets", or something of that order. Well, the 2135 was made from 1994 to 1999, I believe, and MTD bought Cub Cadet in 1981, so the 2135 was made by the MTD Cub Cadet. Though I would place the 2135 as more durable than the newer Cub Cadet offerings.

Things have come a long way in the industry, some of it good, some of it not so good. The trend has been zero turns for years now, and that probably won't change much yet. But there is a lot more buyers now wanting to do more than just mow grass, so I think we will see some quality in the garden tractors, or at least I hope so.

i have to disagree with the 2135 example. my parents bought a brand new 2135 in 1998. this tractor has been an utter piece of junk. the paint fell off the tractor like nothing else i have ever seen. the front pto failed, the muffler failed, the transaxle leaks, the metal rusted severely. maybe one of the reasons why it fell apart so bad is because they used it for mowing but also had the 2 stage snowblower. the salt may have eaten at it, but the older stuff doesnt rot out like that when exposed to the same conditions. it is a piece of crap, and its probably going to be parted out soon. my stepfather bought a 149 with 50 deck and a qa42 to replace it. the 149 dates back to the late 1970's but its in much much better condition. there is no hour meter on the 149 but im guessing it has far more hours of heavy use than the 2135 does. the 2135 only has 350 hours on it and its junk. to say a 2135 is better built than what they make now, i would disagree. they are the worlds biggest pile.

#7 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 12:37 PM

See my reply in your other thread.

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 27, 2011 - 01:46 PM

No they don't build them like they used to. And in many cases that's a good thing! I can remember my dad and uncles talking cars back in the late 50's and if a car had 50,000 miles on it it was time to trade it off because it would start nickle & dimeing you to death.
Todays cars will go 200,000+(the Chrysler I drive 85 miles a day has 213 K on it and counting) unless abused or neglected. The MTD Cadets are still a good value for dollars invested if taken care of properly.
Not What IH built but they are what they are. Just as every new machine built is.
I find it to be expected that many and most people are misinformed about their tractors, and really don't care to become informed. We in some ways are creating that problem, we prefer to buy older and repair.
The manufacturer only makes money if they sell tractors or whatever product they produce.
Those people buying new machines are the ones who want to mow their grass so they can get to the golf course or ball field or whatever they really would prefer to be doing. Most have no desire to be technically informed, if it goes when they turn the key they are happy. I bet you could check sales in any one of the larger cities in the country and it would exceed the sales in most of these United States.
So the manufacturer is building what the buyer wants.

We are a pretty unique and rare breed that have a facination and even obsession for our tractors.

Like they said in the 70's it's "Different Strokes for Different Folks".
Enjoy being part of a select group and accept that not everybody understands. Cause if they did we would not be able to pick up the bargains we do.
Personally I would not hesitate to buy any brand if the price is right. I have a JD 318 and a Murray Yard King(held by many with less regard than an MTD) that I;m pretty fond of.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 27, 2011 - 02:03 PM.

#9 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 06:18 AM

The newer machines are usually better mowers. The 2135, for instance, can mow circles around the older IH machines, especially the older narrow frames. I mowed with a 2135, a 122, a 104 and a 125. That 2135 put them to shame, tighter turning radius, better cut, easier to operate with the foot controls. And, if you check my post in the other thread, both of the 2135s have nice sheet metal with the paint still intact. Your 2135 may have seen neglect or possibly missed a process before it went to the paint booth. Who knows?

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 06:53 AM

i just helped someone ''fix'' a 2000 White lawn mower, looks, smells, pretends it's a white, ha, ha, it is a MTD with a White mower hood and body, fairly nice looking mower but someone used it as a battering ram, morons out there don't know how to drive a tractor anymore, much less a car, my uncle fixes and sells mowers and snowblower for a living, i refuse to do that with him or to start one myself, i don't need that added headache of trying to fix junk, i have never seen so many mowers and garden tractor come back because it falls apart or something go's flying off of it due to cheap MFG, this goes for the cub cadets you are all talking about, when the problems start, it never ends untill it's in the scrapyard, i'll be impressed if todays junk passes the 15 year mark with out being re-powered or cobbled togeather from similar tractors to keep it going,
it seems people just don't care any more when you try to explain to them that this is what's on the market now and it's not your fault the tractor fell apart, and yet they come back screaming, yelling, and crying that ''it broke, your fault, fix it''......um!, i just told you last week when you brung it to me to fix, the spindles in the mower deck is bad and will break soon, DUH!!! they don't care untill it breaks, then it's YOUR fault it broke down, i say ''buddy ... the warranty ends at my driveway, MTD won't back me, i won't back them''
like i said, i refuse to fix mowers and such for other people, just my family,
sorry if i upset some people with this post, i know there is a lot of guys that do this for a living and i respect you all for dealing with this crap and morons out there today and some of the people who use cub cadet mowers commercially,
trowel

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 07:04 AM

when i said '' to some of the people who use cub cadet commercially'' i ment it with the utmost respect to some of the last quality orentated ones on the market now, not the homeowners junk,
trowel

#12 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 28, 2011 - 03:15 PM

The newer machines are usually better mowers. The 2135, for instance, can mow circles around the older IH machines, especially the older narrow frames. I mowed with a 2135, a 122, a 104 and a 125. That 2135 put them to shame, tighter turning radius, better cut, easier to operate with the foot controls. And, if you check my post in the other thread, both of the 2135s have nice sheet metal with the paint still intact. Your 2135 may have seen neglect or possibly missed a process before it went to the paint booth. Who knows?

i must say that im quite happy with my 147 as a mower. it might not be AS fast as something newer but its fast enough. i mow my 1.75 acres with it in about an hour. the turning radius can be improved over stock. i also only have the 42" deck. the 147 is also made much better and of much higher gauge metal and cast iron. it will out last 10 2135's. as far as not having foot controls, well the hand operated is a little different but you get used to it fast. i also have seen mods where people built foot controls for their IH's. the IH built machines dont mow quite as fast and arent as comfortable but they are solid and will last year after year. my 147 turns 40 this year, its 10 years older than me and is still quite reliable after i have done some work to it..
  • trowel said thank you

#13 Sergeant OFFLINE  

Sergeant

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4149
  • 44 Thanks
  • 135 posts

Posted August 02, 2011 - 08:36 PM

i just helped someone ''fix'' a 2000 White lawn mower, looks, smells, pretends it's a white, ha, ha, it is a MTD with a White mower hood and body, fairly nice looking mower but someone used it as a battering ram, morons out there don't know how to drive a tractor anymore, much less a car, my uncle fixes and sells mowers and snowblower for a living, i refuse to do that with him or to start one myself, i don't need that added headache of trying to fix junk, i have never seen so many mowers and garden tractor come back because it falls apart or something go's flying off of it due to cheap MFG, this goes for the cub cadets you are all talking about, when the problems start, it never ends untill it's in the scrapyard, i'll be impressed if todays junk passes the 15 year mark with out being re-powered or cobbled togeather from similar tractors to keep it going,
it seems people just don't care any more when you try to explain to them that this is what's on the market now and it's not your fault the tractor fell apart, and yet they come back screaming, yelling, and crying that ''it broke, your fault, fix it''......um!, i just told you last week when you brung it to me to fix, the spindles in the mower deck is bad and will break soon, DUH!!! they don't care untill it breaks, then it's YOUR fault it broke down, i say ''buddy ... the warranty ends at my driveway, MTD won't back me, i won't back them''
like i said, i refuse to fix mowers and such for other people, just my family,
sorry if i upset some people with this post, i know there is a lot of guys that do this for a living and i respect you all for dealing with this crap and morons out there today and some of the people who use cub cadet mowers commercially,
trowel

Just want to Point something Out about White. From 1975 to 1981 White Outdoor was Made by MTD for White and MTD Bought the White Outdoor Power label in 1981 the same year as IH Cub for White Prior to 75 Jacobson Made tractors under the White.Oliver & MM labels. But Up until 2000 They did Produce a decent Shaft driven GT under the white Label. I Bought a White GT2055 in 1999 with a Kwik-way Loader,50inch shaft driven deck and the tractor is still going strong For This style of tractor which the GT2055 was it was a very affordable shaft driven Garden tractor that came stadard with Hydraulic lift and a Cat 0 3point Hitch and You had the choice of a 50 or 60inch Deck So MTD has Made some very decent stuff I also have a 2002 MTD Cub Cadet 2206 and it another Tractor That I haven't had a Problem with exceopt for a New rear Tire after the wife ran over a Landscape rake I think the 2nd day we had it. I had some pretty Good Luck with MTD made machines Myself. The Newer 2000 series have me a little worried though Because of the Electric Lift Which when IH was still in charge of Production as soon as they came out with the wide frames the electric lift went away on Most Models But it was still a Option on some of the Gear Models thru the quiet Line But electric actuators have come along way since the 147:thumbs: