104 replies to this topic

#31 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 12:21 AM

ok, I am pretty torn up, not from sanding my fingers off, but about the reading Ive been doing on dealing with rust! should i use a rustconverter? or phosphoric acid or tannin. As you all know I have been sanding all of my parts, leaving the good paint that is strong and feathering all areas. I have read that small areas of rust need to be treated or it could expose its head later down the line? My plan was to use Martin senour self etching primer. Then paint,,,, will that stop any small areas of rust that has pitted the steel? Or do I need to add another step?

#32 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 03:55 AM

Since I only used rattle cans so far, I have sprayed first with the Rustoleum Rust Converter. Not sure if it would be compatible with the other paints you are using.
  • speedyg said thank you

#33 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 04:14 AM

You have done a great job so far on this. What I do is use a wire wheel on the end of a drill and it gets right down into those pitted areas and gets all the loose rust out of there. As you have discovered rust removal and prep for painting is the most labour intensive part of a restoration. I use an electrolysis tank to remove rust and it seems to help get the rust off of even those pitted areas. It cuts down on the labor by about 75% as a guess. There is an article on the home page of the forum that tells you how.
I am just getting the engine side covers from a JD314 ready to paint. They went in the tank first and then I took a RO sander and the wire wheel to them. They now have no paint on them and all the pitted areas are metallic coloured rather than appearing black as they do when rusting. I don't know if it is overkill to go that far or not. Others here will surely have some advice for you.
  • speedyg said thank you

#34 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 04:32 AM

Here is the thing,if you don't get rid of all of the rust ( in the pits ),it will come back.You should get it sand blasted,and then use an EPOXY PRIMER on the bare metal.This will give you corrosion protection,plus it is a very good adhesion promoter. Then you can go over it with your fill if you need to,followed up with a primer/surfacer,or sealer under your top coat.

Edited by mjodrey, August 25, 2011 - 05:26 AM.

• speedyg said thank you

#35 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the info guys!!! The next week painting date is on hold! :(

#36 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 04, 2011 - 11:23 PM

h16 tranny 011.jpg Well I took the time to re-sand all of the parts on the bolens, and finally got to do a little painting this weekend!!! I spent alot of time getting every bit of rust that I could, and feel pretty good about the out come. :) The night time temps here the last couple of weeks have been in the high 30s to low 40s, so I feel winters on the way! The aspens are already showing some color. My plan is that this tractor will replace my snow shovel this year. Our driveway is a tenth of a mile long and my back still hurts from last year. :) Hopefully all will come together before the snow flies.

#37 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 04:18 AM

Those parts are looking good.

#38 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted September 05, 2011 - 07:17 AM

here is my snow shovel lastyear, aka my g14, worked good good but needed hydro, i sold it and have an h14 trying to get it operational again,

• speedyg said thank you

#39 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for the compliment mjodrey! And thats what im talking about jehtro! that was a pretty clean g14, hope you get your h14 hummin again. I was watching the news tonight and they are calling for snow here on wed. :( fall is coming early this year here.

#40 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted September 06, 2011 - 12:27 AM

I was watching the news tonight and they are calling for snow here on wed. :( fall is coming early this year here.

GOOD LORD........... snow.................where do you live ?

#41 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 12:35 AM

GOOD LORD........... snow.................where do you live ?

LOL!!! I live in Colorado, the elevation at our place is 8,500ft. The garden has seen better days! last year I dident harvest until mid october?

#42 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 04:16 AM

Oh man,snow.I don't want to hear that word yet.:D

#43 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted September 07, 2011 - 06:49 PM

we've had a cold snap return thisweek in ontario, went from 42 and ahorts to 13 and looking for my coat. just can feel the cold in the air, fall is here,time to get that blower and h14 working.

#44 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 12:59 PM

I know this is the proper time to address this question because I have allready bought the item in question. Is the bolens black gloss or flat?

#45 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 08, 2011 - 01:17 PM

I believe when new,it was a very low gloss black,but not quite a flat black.
  • speedyg said thank you