104 replies to this topic

#1 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 11:09 PM

h16 restoration 060.jpg Wow!!! Istarted out fixing a few minor problems and this is where I ended up at. :smile1: I sure hope you guys can put this tractor back together again.:bigrofl:
To give you all an update, I fixed the tranny leak and also an oil leak on the motor. I also bought four new hydro lines, the old ones had seen better days. I R in the prosess of stripping everything wright now, I am using wet and dry sand paper and alot of elbow grease. I should be ready to start painting in a week or two, I will post some pics of the sanded parts soon. If you guys see something I am doing wrong PLEASE stop me!!!!! I would like some input from you all on primer/paint to use. I do have a compresor and a good auto touch up gun:smile1:. Is the rattle can method good or should I stay with the sprayer??? thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 06:22 AM

Looks like your off to a good start.

Many people use rattle cans for their paint jobs , but IMO a paint gun does a much better job. The paint also lasts longer.
When I first began restoring my first couple tractors I used Rustoleum paint. It seems to be holding up well so far. I recently painted my estate keeper with NAPA martin senior paints and I think the quality is much better....

Keep us updated!

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 06:27 AM

A paint gun is the only way to go,if you want a professional looking job.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 06:28 AM

A paint gun is the only way to go,if you want a professional looking job.

I agree

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 07:14 AM

In general I agree with these guys about the sprayer...what's more important is the quality of the paint inside the rattle can or sprayer and the time and attention to detail that you put in to the surface prep. There are some newer spray paints on the market that will rival the quality of a spray gun IMO. But in the end, the higher quality paints will cost your more! In some cases, although you're looking at maybe $12 a can for the spray bombs, in the long run, you'll spend more on them than just buying a quart of the paint for your gun. I will say that the cleanup is much easier with the rattle cans :D

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 08:05 AM

I use and old Sears paint gun for the large items . I also have one of those touch-up guns and it does an OK job The only thing when your doing a large area it might tend to " zebra " stripe it from going back and forth more then a full size gun , but maybe with pratice that too could be overcome . For the axles , frame ,and small parts it might just be easier using spray cans , no clean-up , Al
  • mj1015 said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 10:36 AM

Another thing is you might want to make sure all the primer and paint is compatable . I'm sure there are lots of us ( least me anyway ) that after putting the top coat of paint on only to see it wrinkle up when it started to dry ,:wallbanging:
  • mj1015 said thank you

#8 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 01:50 PM

Thanks guys, what about bondo work? with no shocks on these tanks do you all feel secure or not. and Alc you read my mind, I was wanting to bomb the frame and small parts and care for the sheet metal more like a car body. But I only want to do it once so I want it to last??????? So back to the beggining, Hope you guys can put it back together again!!

#9 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 01:57 PM

O and whats the best way to deal with the decals. I need to get them off and can I get replacements?

#10 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 10:01 PM

h16 restoration 007.jpg Here is a few photos I took to help me remember where thing went, I also made a few drawings to help me remember. I know we all like photos so enjoy :)

Attached Thumbnails

• h16 restoration 004.jpg
  • h16 restoration 008.jpg
  • h16 restoration 003.jpg
  • h16 restoration 006.jpg
  • h16 restoration 002.jpg

#11 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 10:09 PM

h16 sanded 001.jpg Here is a good sample of how I am prepping the parts, If you guys see somthing I could do better please let me know :)

Attached Thumbnails

• h16 sanded 003.jpg
  • h16 sanded 002.jpg

#12 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 07:45 AM

Looks like your doing an awesome job :bounce:

As for decals I would get them from samsbolens
I just looked on his site and didnt see any decals for your machine. You probably will have to take pictures and measurements of the old decals to get them made

#13 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 03:30 PM

h16 restoration 065.jpg I was out sanding on some parts today and this guy snuck up on me :)

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 03:45 PM

Thats a decent size deer!

#15 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 12:17 AM

It is nice buck! he is still in velvet so his rack will be real nice come september. we have four huge bucks that roam the area. This guy had three does with him already? I wonder if that means a killer winter this year?