• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coopduc OFFLINE  

coopduc

• Member No: 4419
  • 0 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 10:18 PM

When I changed the fluid in the trans I noticed the tube above the U shaped bracket doesn't connect anywhere, it's just open to atmosphere. This doesn't seem right to me, and sure enough after I used the tractor for the first time after the fluid change, I noticed some has been squirting out the top and onto the ground. I can't find any pictures showing the proper routing of this tube, or if it should have some sort of cap on it. Should the tube connect back up somewhere on the top of the axle?

#2 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 12:12 AM

there should be a hose going from the top side of the level glass to the right side of the hydro. If you take the fenderpan off and lift the fuel tank you will clearly see where it connects to. Those lines do deteriorate, I found the same thing on my 430 when I bought it.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 04:03 AM

MP4513_________UN01JAN94.jpg

Here is a diagram of the hydro site tube for the 318 from JDparts.com. It may help clarify how things are supposed to go together. Check out JDParts for access to the parts diagrams for your tractor.

#4 coopduc OFFLINE  

coopduc

• Member No: 4419
  • 0 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 30, 2011 - 11:31 PM

Can this be replaced by one single length of clear tubing ? I'm not sure why they have 2 separate hoses plus a clear section.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 06:11 AM

The clear section is likely glass . In the older tractors like the 314 they used a clear flexible tubing for the gauge. My guess is that they use stronger more heat resistant tubing for the lines with glass for the gauge to avoid the degradation to the clear tubing that happens with exposure to the hot fluid. As you can imagine a blown line would result in loss of fluid and possible damage to the transmission. I recently replaced the gauge tubing on my 314 and that is a concern I have. The vinyl or tygon tubing commonly available is not rated for as high a temp. as hydraulic hose and I know from past experience with the stuff that it deteriorates with heat. So you should probably order the clear sight tube from deere and then use hydraulic hose or maybe rubber fuel line for the other parts. If you are looking for a temporary fix it will certainly work with a single piece of clear tubing.

#6 DocG OFFLINE  

DocG

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5241
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 03:36 PM

Yep, I don't see any reason why you can't just use clear plastic tubing...