• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 01:32 PM

Nice video, Daniel. Liked seeing what it could tow. Lots of attachments, too.

#33 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 21, 2011 - 06:05 PM

Dan - thanks for the link . Between not having developed publishing skills etc and not sure of permissions etc ,well I'm still guessing how far to go . Hope you could make it to Paulding. Sparky

#34 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 09:12 PM

Since I seem to be talking my way thru this , the original marketing was not scheduled until late 1970 or 1971. Nothing before it's time. However with some very good talent brought in for the project and my own recollection of people wanting positive distraction in this era - Ge was convinced that Elec-Traks were ready and distribution could be done when documentation was in proper order. Hence planning was constantly evolving . This thread may qualify for the article I said I would do for NUTNDUN. Mr Beckett still has all the fun human contact , I have had a little of it . Sparky

#35 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 25, 2011 - 08:32 PM

At this point in time I can safely say re-dating was done later in project upon request for warranty purposes. The scope of it is not known. When or how the question of the first market serial number designation is settled can only be answered truly by THE LIST. And we have met some nice people trying to help. If at any point I am accused of agitation in this endeavor , I will consider it an honor - many good people were involved. Sparky

#36 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 31, 2011 - 09:12 PM

It looks like I will get to meet one more member of original development team in my quest to resolve this, both an honor and an obligation at this point. The names of people I have become aware of is growing and the questions to ask yet -- this info could easily be lost in just a few more years.
At some point when the answer is found I think I will just do a montage in this thread of my Elec-trak summer.
  • MH81 and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#37 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 03, 2011 - 10:01 PM

This quest still has potential for an unexpected twist , but a month ago people thought it was just a story in cyberland. Real people are in it and the pic of it is on Electrak.com. At this point the answer will come when proper time is here - I do not know when that is . Sparky

Unexpected twist - like listening to a Lynyrd Skynyrd song or story and thinking the ending will be predictable . Can't give you my answer yet but I think I have it . Has to be official. And I will feel like a freebird when over . Heck - I feel like one now . :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: Talking to original " players " completely priceless ....
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#38 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 08:23 PM

IMG_1087.jpg Ok , Bruce Laumeisters model shows January 22 1970 commemoration of assembly line roll off date . Serial number recently found indicates January 26 1970 serial number . AN26001 . Not entirely inconsistent with waiting for test track performance results before issuing the serial number. The pic of the actual unit may have to wait for the book as it includes the owner.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5283.jpg

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#39 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 24, 2011 - 10:33 PM

Thanks for posting the video Daniel....

I am glad that the guy in the Fire truck was riding the brakes in that video, he would have killed the tractor driver on that down hill grade.:poke:

:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl:

Great video of a GT that was WAY AHEAD of it's time, I'd love to own one..

#40 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted October 20, 2011 - 09:05 PM

What will become of this tractor is a dilemma for some including me . Having it found still running in private ownership was probably the biggest thrill. Having to talk to original team members was also exhilarating. And my own thoughts about the rise and fall of Elec-traks has morphed a little . The electrics showed that noise and smell could be abated and copied with success by others. Styling was also improved across the board through competition. Probably what was needed was the ability to ride out marketing adjustments . Still more lore to chase down. 700 of these suckers ended up in Europe somewhere. I don't get enough vacation time to tackle this one . :D

#41 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 21, 2011 - 09:49 AM

Very interesting so far Sparky. Keep after it. There are some European members I think. Perhaps there is one that will take up the challenge across the sea.

#42 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted November 24, 2011 - 10:18 AM

It has been an amazing year for the ET history buffs. When I started digging around 3 years ago I had no idea if Bruce Laumeister would ever be contacted for a retrospective . And a book would have to contain enough info to satisfy many forms of curiosity. I think now that challenge has been met. Mr Beckett has been quite adept at digging up old artifacts. But as this forum constantly reminds - GET SOME SEAT TIME !!

#43 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 13, 2011 - 10:16 PM

I recently have been told of one last minute design change before production. I am sure there were others. The really interesting part of my inquiries is that mostly I got two or three questions answered for every one asked. The book opening pages will have lots of competing ideas to choose from. One fellow in July remarked that Christmas came early this year - maybe did .

#44 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted December 23, 2011 - 08:36 PM

Ok , one last tidbit from my digging around for this year . The original handthrottle on the first released units had provisions for 4 reverse electrical speeds . This was not deemed acceptable for users and changed to 3 electric reverse . I found this in playing with a NOS throttle one day and managed to confirm it with an original team member. Since GE chose not to do it , I will not divulge details either .. Merry Christmas

#45 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted April 03, 2012 - 09:10 PM

The man who was the keeper of the first one off the assembly line has recently passed away . What is to become of the tractor itself will be known in due course . Official announcements ( the wait is so annoying ) are sure to come . Another WW2 VETERAN who distinguished himself .
  • sacsr said thank you