New way Valve seat cutters

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rocking416 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1546
  • 76 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 07:19 PM

Has anyone used a new way valve seat cutter? My is 46 degree cutter Kohler says to cut them at 45 degree Ive read that there is one degree differnce so they will wear and form a leack proof seal. My main question is Should i Lap the valve or should i just cut the seats and install my new Kohler valves of should i cut the seats and lap my new valves? any feed back would be appericated

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,667 Thanks
  • 28,317 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 08:31 PM

I don't know the difference, but I do know that valves and seats are at slightly different angles for this reason... Also, some intake and exhaust valves are cut on different angles in the same engine. Always wondered why.

#3 jdslednut OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 632 Thanks
  • 834 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 10:38 PM

Cut the seats and lap them. When cutting, use a speed handle or similar tool to help prevent chattering on the seat face. Wherever you stop turning a small imperfection will be created. After you have used the cutter for a few turns, place a piece of paper towel between the cutter and seat and give a couple more turns. This will help remove some of the chatter marks as well. You want a nice even grey ring around the center of the valve face when you are finished. Be sure to clean out all of the lapping compound when you are done - don't want grit in the engine to begin with.
  • chopperfreak2k1, Rocking416 and KennyP have said thanks