• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 10, 2010 - 07:52 AM

A close friend of mine and a newer member here (afraid to post, don't ask) bought a used Craftsman GT5000, instead of the Massey 1655 I had thought would be a good tractor for him. He wanted it, but his wife is fond of craftsman, since they've been mowing 2 1/2 acres with a LT2000 for the last 10 years, yeah that's gotta be a record. It takes them the better part of the weekend to mow that much with an old mower with weak pulleys. The 2003 Craftsman had a 23 hp kohler that lasted all of thirty minutes before blowing up ten feet from the house. I would have thought these engines were better than that, but I guess we were both wrong. It had new oil in it and ran like a top. The only thing I can think is she tried to mow to tall, to heavy, to fast, very common with women folk mowing. There grass was a good 5 or 6 inches and I'm sure she thought, I'll whiz through this in one pass. There were no indications other than a puff of smoke and oil everywhere. There really sick since they blew a grand and their budget on a piece of crapsman mower. Should of bought the Massey 1655 with the Onan Twin for under a grand.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 10, 2010 - 08:11 AM

Well that's too bad,I can't imagine what would have caused that.

#3 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted April 10, 2010 - 11:44 AM

Can't see how a bit of tall grass should cause an engine to blow........It was likely abused long before that.

#4 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 10, 2010 - 10:52 PM

Oh yeah, you know it. You can bet if the rod breaks it was run low on oil, if the top end goes it's probaably dirty air filters, probably both in this case. Some guy bought a used 2003 mower from a guy for a song turned to my buddy for 1200 bucks and probably walked away with 500 profit. I don't buy overhead vlave mowers used, especially the new ones, most need the valves adjusted yearly, none will last that long unless taken care of with extreme prejudice.

#5 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,555 Thanks
  • 29,815 posts

Posted April 11, 2010 - 11:51 AM

It could have dropped a valve, then blocking the piston & tossing the rod. When the push rods get sloppy clearance, it can hammer the valve till the keepers fall out.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 11, 2010 - 12:31 PM

I am sorry about their luck with the Craftsman. Truth be told though it could happen with any brand. I know the old flatheads and cast iron blocks are a little harder to destroy though. Hopefully they can get it fixed or sacrifice it to the Craftsman gods and buy RED

#7 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 12, 2010 - 06:48 AM

I am sorry about their luck with the Craftsman. Truth be told though it could happen with any brand. I know the old flatheads and cast iron blocks are a little harder to destroy though. Hopefully they can get it fixed or sacrifice it to the Craftsman gods and buy RED

The Craftsman GT5000 is RED. He's taking it in to the shop, wants "professional" advice. When it's running a shower of oil comes out of the side of the block. I can get those 25 hp Kohler V-Twin engines brand new for 725.00, If the "pros" tell him the egine is gone, a brand new engine is the only way to go. That is unless your into throwing good money after bad. I told him I'd install it for free

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 12, 2010 - 07:11 AM

Well hopefully they will heed your advice after they talk to the "pros". The craftsman may be red but it isn't the right shade LOL.

That is a good price on the Kohler twin brand new.