19 replies to this topic

#1 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 10:59 PM

I need to put some tires on a MF 12, the old ones don't hold air. Original tires were 23x8.50-12, what sort of replacement tires are people installing? I think IamSherwood put some 26x12-12 lug tires on, are they tight against the fenders, or are they a good fit? And I've noticed that current tires aren't exactly truthfully sized, they seem to "shrink in the wash" if you know what I mean.

Thanks
Howard
  • MH81 and goodnews have said thanks

#2 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 11:58 PM

I need to put some tires on a MF 12, the old ones don't hold air. Original tires were 23x8.50-12, what sort of replacement tires are people installing? I think IamSherwood put some 26x12-12 lug tires on, are they tight against the fenders, or are they a good fit? And I've noticed that current tires aren't exactly truthfully sized, they seem to "shrink in the wash" if you know what I mean.

Thanks
Howard

these are 26/12/12,s on my mf14 and roper/sears . they fit nicely on the massey , very tight on the roper .

the new crop 006.jpg
Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• massey ferguson.jpg
  • massey ferguson 002.jpg
  • gt 002.jpg

Edited by rexknightly, July 21, 2011 - 12:08 AM.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,522 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 05:34 AM

Howard, depending on what attachments you have and what you plan to use the tractor for will help in getting a tire size. Have you thought of tubing them? Much cheaper. I have mostly 23X10.50's on my GT's. The GTV/16 has 26X12's but I don't have a mower for it so don't' have to worry about issues of the deck hitting the tires.

#4 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 08:32 AM

Deerstone 23x10.50x12 AGs are a good fit. Seem to be the same height as the 8.50 turfs.
Yes Tire sizes are different today. Carlisle seems to be the only Mfg. that maintains the correct dimensions.

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. After thinking it over, I'm going to "invest" in $20 tubes and save the $100 per tire for engine repairs if needed. It's just hard to move the tractor around without good tires. Hopefully the tires aren't dry rotted to the point I can't tube them.

Howard

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 15, 2012 - 03:37 PM

Finally put some "New To Me" tires on my 12 G. I was minding my own business a few weeks ago and a yard sale jumped into my path, and there were some used ATV tires just the size I needed. They are 25x10x12. I've wanted to try a tire this size, but wasn't willing to pay a lot for something that might not fit, but these tires I only paid $15 for the pair. So I mounted them.
0914121921.jpg 0914121924.jpg

As you can see, these tires are quite a tight fit, requiring the removal of the guards above the step. I think if I decide to keep these tires, I'll probably fabricate something to go there. Otherwise, not too wide, not too tall, and they look good. Today, I chose not to go to a plow day, and a neighbor asked me to plow THEIR garden! I said "YES" because I wanted to see how well these tires performed. The baseline tire I am comparing these with is a standard turf tire, loaded with 50 lbs water per side, with chains. Those tires work well. Regular turf tires loaded do not do well. The ATV tires had NO additional weight and were simply inflated to the recommended 5 lb pressure. I was pleased to note that although there was SOME spinning, I could mostly stop it by shifting my weight to the spinning (Uphill) side. I bet they will be absolutly great once I add some water ballast.Plowed with tires.jpg
  • larryd said thank you

#7 chiefgoodman OFFLINE  

chiefgoodman

• Member No: 6021
  • 36 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 02:53 PM

Is it easy to add the water to the stock MF tires? I've read about it but never had tried it.
  • larryd said thank you

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 03:07 PM

Good score on the tires, even if they are worn. Most ATV guys change their tires when they get down to half tread, which usually starts out at around 1" tall. On our GTs the ag tires start at 1/2" tall tread. Used ATV tires are a way better investment than new ags for sure. Of course new ATV tires are even better, but expensive sometimes..
  • larryd said thank you

#9 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 03:59 PM

Is it easy to add the water to the stock MF tires? I've read about it but never had tried it.

I use a cheap pump sprayer like you use for spraying pesticide. Once you pull the spray wand off the hose, the hose is the right size to just slip over the valve stem. Remove the valve core, slide the hose over the valve tube, fill your sprayer with the mix of your choice, put the pump lid on and pressurize. Refill the sprayer as many times as needed to fill your tire. The good part is that when you release the pressure on the sprayer, the tire will burp air into the sprayer, then it's ready for more fill. I usually fill till it won't burp any more, then add one more gallon. That maximizes the amount of water in your tire.
downsize.jpg
  • wvbuzzmaster, KennyP, sacsr and 5 others have said thanks

#10 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 04:02 PM

Good score on the tires, even if they are worn. Most ATV guys change their tires when they get down to half tread, which usually starts out at around 1" tall. On our GTs the ag tires start at 1/2" tall tread. Used ATV tires are a way better investment than new ags for sure. Of course new ATV tires are even better, but expensive sometimes..

I had been looking at ATV tires, but most of the used ones were just outrageously priced, completely worn out, or Both! This set had a good combination of wear and price so I felt I could afford to take a shot at using them.
  • larryd said thank you

#11 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 04:19 PM

Good set of tires at a great price! Thanks or the how to on filling the tires!
  • larryd said thank you

#12 chiefgoodman OFFLINE  

chiefgoodman

• 36 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted September 16, 2012 - 08:50 PM

Thanks. I will give it a try.already have the pump sprayer.
  • larryd said thank you

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 12:27 PM

I would not reccoment water ballast in CT, It would freeze and you will be riding on ice.
Howard could possibly get by with that in NC.
You might want to consider windshield Washer fluid?
  • larryd said thank you

#14 chiefgoodman OFFLINE  

chiefgoodman

• 36 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted September 21, 2012 - 05:00 PM

Thank you. I wasn't going to use water but thanks for the advice.
  • larryd said thank you

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted September 28, 2012 - 03:40 PM

I decided to do some work to the 12G today. During the short time I've had it, the wobble from the rear hubs has gotten worse, to the point I could easily rock the tractor too and fro on it's wheels. I decided to repair it by drilling a hole in the center and tapping it, in the hope that putting pressure on one side would hold the other side of the hub tightly to the shaft. It may be that two screws, one near each end of the hub, will work better, but for now I needed to know how difficult it might be to drill and tap the holes. Here is one side completed, and I'm happy with it so far. Perhaps after I've driven it for 30 minutes I'll be less happy.
Drilled and tapped.jpg
screw in hub.jpg
  • MH81 and larryd have said thanks