• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 89YT12 OFFLINE  

89YT12

• Member No: 4980
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 10:39 PM

my briggs 12.5 2cyl L head has been making that ticking noise what seems like almost forever, i remember reading its in the valves, if this is correct how or what do i do to solve this, how hard is it to do etc etc

its been doing it so long so i dont think its hurting anything as i never have had a problem with it doing this ticking for atleast 10 years now

thanks yall

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 05:46 PM

Ticking valves can be an indicator that the valve lash adjustment is off causing the valve stem to click when it slams down onto the cam lobe. I am not familiar with your particular engine, so I can't tell you how to adjust them, but you could check the manuals section to see if there's a service manual for it there. It may also be a normal sound for that engine, some engines are just louder than others. None the less it couldn't hurt to check the clearances.

#3 89YT12 OFFLINE  

89YT12

• Member No: 4980
  • 5 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 10:23 PM

i got the B&S manual, im sure it will say something about it, i was mainly wanting to know if i was going in the right direction, like i said its been ticking forever i can remember when i was a young teen someone asking if it was a diesel ........

i hate to tear into something that does not need it, but i sure hate worse to hurt the engine

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 03:07 PM

to adjust the valves on those flat twins the stems get ground. also check for any breaks on the ignition coil wires

#5 my deere OFFLINE  

my deere

• Member No: 5245
  • 0 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted July 31, 2011 - 05:22 PM

Before you dig in to far you should make sure that it has clean oil, good ignition(plugs and wire etc) etc. A lot of times the regular maintance is overlooked and can cause a lot of problems. Even a lot of carbon on the head can get the valves to cackle. Try some seafoam in the carb....