Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

setting valves on honda gx340

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 08:53 PM

honda gx340 s/n 0402105972 . was adjusting valve lash on the motor,ran great to begin with and thought it would be prudent to set the valves . .015 intake,.020 exhaust and to say the least the results were poor . hard to start ,pops and spits back through carb . set each valve with the opposite valve halfway through its lift to make sure the valve i was setting was not on the cam lobe . I had no book to give me proper procedure . just had the clearance specs . have been over it three times and same result . i hate it when i putz up an otherwise perfectly fine motor , any idea guys .:wallbanging: also took carb apart and found a cracked float. cleaned it out and epoxied float temporarily till i get new float and i noticed epoxy doesnt do well with gas , i may have gotten some crap into some part of the carb . this may be the source of my problem rather than the valves. motor is hunting for its correct speed . Either way a carb kit is needed . I should sort that out first i guess .A temporary mickey mouse fix has done it to me before .One of these decades i may finally learn . If someone has the proper valve lash procedure for this engine so i can double check myself and make sure i didnt mess up , thanks guys.

Edited by rexknightly, July 21, 2011 - 12:16 AM.