#1 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4719
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 05:39 PM

I am buying a JD 100 with snowblower for $200. Runs cuts grass and looks to be in good shape. What do you guys think? I want to keep it but I am giving it to my Father inlaw so he can use it this winter. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

#2 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 06:11 PM

WOW you must be in real deep chit with your father-in-law!!!!!!

#3 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,765 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 06:12 PM

In good shape & at that price, I'd jump on it! And I'm not in the market for one that size. ~~ grnspot

#4 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 06:14 PM

Hope you know I'm just kidding, the old myth of hating the in-lays doesn't pertain to all of us, I get along great with mine. It's very nice of you to think of him and try to make the winter a little easier on him. Also thats a great price!

#5 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 06:33 PM

He would do the same for me, Plus I am making him agree I get it back when he's dead or when one of the others in the family one up me. I am not in the market for smaller actually would like to have a 430 but the 100 is just kinda neat plus I thought it was a good deal but unsure.

#6 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 02:29 PM

IMG_0763.jpg She starts hard and runs rough but I think I can get her tuned up. I paid a little extra and got a set of rear wheel wieghts and chains. All together $260 I think I did OK.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0758.jpg
  • IMG_0759.jpg

• daytime dave said thank you

#7 better before OFFLINE  

better before

• Member No: 5240
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted August 01, 2011 - 09:52 PM

Thank you for posting pics, I have never seen a model 100 before. I expected it to be much older. What size engine does it have?

#8 pumpkintoter OFFLINE  

pumpkintoter

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2629
  • 11 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted August 01, 2011 - 10:15 PM

thats a good looking little machine.

#9 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 06:38 AM

8 horse. It took a while but I have it running great and cuts grass clean and even. Father inlaw was prety happy and I was sad to let go.
  • KennyP said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 33,811 Thanks
  • 43,044 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 07:13 AM

Maddhorse, thanks for your signature, I appreciate that. Glad you are having fun here and thank you for becoming a site supporter. And I have to thank you again for doing this for the FIL. Great thing there. Enjoy!

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 6,415 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 11:05 AM

That's a nice gesture for the father in law. I've never seen a 1oo either. It's nice to see those pics. Thanks. Looks like a capable snow remover as well. Looks like you did good.

#12 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,869 Thanks
  • 4,004 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 12:14 PM

I think that sounds fair. From what I have read they are better than the 60/70 models due to the Briggs engine replacing the Tecumsehs found in the 60/70. That size is a fun and very maneuverable.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,595 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 04:51 PM

That is a nice looking tractor. It may be a rare model as nobody seems familiar with it. By the way, what is the other tractor that we can see in the shed?

#14 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 357 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 06:17 AM

The 100 is not very rare - thousands were made from 1975 to 1978. It was the only lawn tractor Deere made in that period. It replaced the 70, which replaced the 60. In 1979, JD replaced the 100 with the 108 and 111. What may be rare is finding a 100 with the engine side panels. A lot of people think the 100 had no engine side panels, but they were standard when new. A lot of owners took them off to service the engine and ultimately, the side panels became lost or misplaced. The 100 was the last round fender Deere made. As mentioned in this thread, with the Briggs engine, it's possible to stumble across a 100 more than a 60 or 70 with their not-so-long-lasting Tecumseh engines. The snow blower and the snow blade for the 100 could fit a 108 or 111, if I recall my attachments correctly.

#15 maddhorse OFFLINE  

maddhorse

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 52 Thanks
  • 85 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 12:39 PM

Its a 212 in the shed. You are 100% right TMO I have both side panels they are off in the picture because it would overheat and the previous owner thought that would fix the problem. I found that the grommet where the dipstick goes in was cracked and oil came out. Not a little but a bunch, the air intake drew air from across the front of the engine. Oil would get pulled in to the fly wheel and under the cooling shrouds along with grass and other debris. Replace the grommet and cleened the engine, tune up and every thing ran good no more overheating. It also has the snow blower and deck and when I was buying attachments for the 212 and a guy gave me a plow. I did not know what it went to and I was going to fab a scraper out of it but it fits the 100. So even if I have to replace the engine next year I will be ok with it. The only reason I mention replacing the engine as letting an engine over heat for extended perriods we all know what can happen. While I had it here there was no problem but with Larry (father in law) putting hours on it I dont know how it will turn out and I am a bit of a planner.

Edited by maddhorse, August 12, 2011 - 12:45 PM.