• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 zr600 OFFLINE  

zr600

• Member No: 4208
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 11:48 AM

My jd 300 gt creep when the hyrdo is in n. It is creeping backwards is there a certain way to adjust this? And also when driving forward you can put it all the way forward and it will go full speed then in a few seconds it slows down just a touch, and if you pull back on the hydraulic lift lever for the tiller/deck it will speed up a little bit what would cause this? Also it doesn't go very fast in reverse and i understand that its not suppose to but it is barley moving. So i need to adjust the hydro linkage and change the hydro fluid and filter any tips or trick for this would be great. Also what would you guys recomend to use for hydro fluid it currently is red.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 01:47 PM

I have a 314 and I think the mechanism for the hydro is the same. There is a cam shaped lever on the hydro transmission which moves when you adjust speed. It has a notch in it and there is a roller on a second spring loaded lever that goes into that notch at neutral. The spring sometimes breaks and/or the lever gets seized up so that it does not provide a positive neutral detent. The spring loaded lever is mounted to the frame on an eccentric bushing. You adjust this to adjust the neutral position. I had to take mine apart and clean and lub it. It was seized and the spring was broken.
As far as speed goes. Is the fluid full. If you don't know the history of the tractor then you may want to change the fluid and filter. Also the linkage has a lot of bushings and levers in it where there are potential wear and lubrication issues. Have a good look at it from the handle back to the transmission and lubricate it to see if things improve. There is a document in the manuals section -CTSM for the 140. I think the 140 hydro for later ser. no's is the same as the 300's. There is a parts diagram of the linkage there. Also if you go to JDparts.com you can see the parts diagrams. Let us know how you make out with it.
  • KennyP said thank you

#3 zr600 OFFLINE  

zr600

• Member No: 4208
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 09:52 PM

Ok ill have to do this then. What did you use to lube it just regular grease?

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 05:19 AM

On my 314 the eccentric bushing was seized to the lever. You need to make sure that it is free. If it is seized it will not work properly. When seized the whole thing pivots on the mounting stud making the adjustment useless. I had to put it in a vise and use a hammer to break it free, cleaned up the rust and then reassembled it using the JD grease that I use on loaders and chassis lub. Any good grease should do the job. There is also a damper on the linkage. It looks like a small shock absorber. If it is sticking it will cause jerky or inconsistent response so make sure it is lubed as well.
  • KennyP said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 06:03 AM

Brian, good info in your posts. I'm sure others will find this useful.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 08:43 AM

Thanks Kenny. I guess that is one of the advantages of buying an abused tractor. You get to troubleshoot and fix all the busted stuff and get real familiar with it. The eccentric bushing is something that I didn't see the first time. I just hit it with penetrating oil and got it moving again. Only on the second go did I realize that the whole assembly was moving, making the neutral adjustment totally useless. I like to share solutions with others. Thats part of the reason I'm here.

#7 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• Member No: 4947
  • 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 10:21 AM

Will this adjustment apply to my 400? Mine wants to creep forward when you first start it up, even though the lever is in the neutral slot. Its annoying to say the least, and makes me nervous while getting off the tractor while running.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 15, 2011 - 11:17 AM

I think the 400 hydro is the same unit as in the 300 series. It should adjust the same way. It's a good idea to take the adjuster apart and make sure it's free so you can do the adjustment. Any slack in the linkage will make it more difficult to adjust as well. Have a look at the entire linkage from the lever all the way back to the tranny.

#9 Lawnguy OFFLINE  

Lawnguy

• Member No: 4947
  • 7 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted November 25, 2011 - 11:48 AM

Will the (what I think is the transmission neutral switch) attached to the hydro shifter have anything to do with this if its not working properly? Why I ask, is that I put a test light to my 318 and both leads are engergized until you shift it out, and the the lead off the bottom of the switch de-engergizes. When I tested my 400 it was just the oppisite, the lead on the side of the switch de-engerized. This has creeped since the day I bought it, so wondering if the previous owner wired these backwards since both leads are purple? thanks

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted November 25, 2011 - 04:01 PM

The switch physical wiring placement would not effect the creep problem. The transmission has a cam shaped lever on the speed control shaft. The cam has a notch in it and a roller drops in the notch to locate neutral. The adjustment changes the position of the roller so that it matches up with the internal 0 speed position of the swash plate (pump volume control). It is a touchy adjustment and if the linkage is sticky it will give you creep when in Neutral. Heres a parts diagram from JDParts.com for the 400. There are 2 versions but the neutral adjustment business is pretty much the same. On the left side of the diagram you can see the cam shaped lever with the notch in the bottom. Below that is the lever that holds the roller(30) for neutral and the eccentric bushing(27) and hardware. The spring that provides tension is also critical. I spent several hours under my 314 before I got it working properly.

MP469__________UN01JAN94 400 hyd.jpg
  • Brett said thank you