• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MF1650 LOVER OFFLINE  

MF1650 LOVER

• Member No: 74
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 11:32 AM

Anyone have an idea if the muffler for the MF1650 is available anywhere, either Massey or Snapper, or anywhere else? Is there an aftermarket or other model that will work? I had mine rebuilt once, but it is down for the count now.

Mike
Ada, Oklahoma

#2 bobl OFFLINE  

bobl

• Contributor
  • Member No: 55
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 05:42 AM

Hi, I've struggled with the same problem since acquiring my 1650 with rusted out muffler 2 yrs ago. At one point I tried making a stack with a new Ford tractor muffler and some plumbing parts, which involved cutting a hole in the hood, connections were all tight but it was just about as loud as no muffler at all. The best I've come up with so far is a used original MF 1650 muffler ffrom E-bay, complete with heat shield. No holes or rust but I still need industrial ear muffs to tolerate riding it, and I feel sorry for anyone else who has to be around when it's running. BTW my engine is a Kohler M-16 & I don't weld or have a shop so my hacking skills are limited to drilling, grinding, bolting and screwing...

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,433 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 05:59 AM

Mike, welcome to the forum. I can't help with the muffler, just wanted to say howdy to a 'neighbor'! Good luck with your quest!

#4 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 07:13 AM

:welcome: Nice to have you. I've been pondering rerouting the exhaust to under the tractor and to the rear on my 1650. Haven't done anything, just eye balling the route and thinking how it would work.

#5 MF1650 LOVER OFFLINE  

MF1650 LOVER

• Member No: 74
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 11:52 AM

Kohler makes a muffler for the K341 that is just like a lawnmower muffler. I wonder how loud it will be under the heat shield if I pipe it right? Anyone have ideas? Suggestions? Also, Jack's Small Engines has a canister muffler they say fits the K341, but it appears to vent upwards, not down, like the one on the tractor. Maybe this can be modified (costs $100).

#6 bobl OFFLINE  

bobl

• Contributor
  • Member No: 55
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 09:41 PM

Yeah, I saw those canisters but wasn't ready to shell out that kind of money. As for the lawnmower type, if you mean the round "pepper pot" type, in my experience they overheat and burn/blow out before long, and don't do much for keeping the noise down.

#7 RubiconJoey OFFLINE  

RubiconJoey

• Member No: 3818
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 23, 2011 - 07:54 PM

I have one that came off a zero turn with a briggs v-twin. It would required some cutting and fitting, but the canister size is about the same. I can pick it up next weekend and ship it out first thing the following monday...