7 replies to this topic

#1 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 10:45 PM

I was at a yard sale years ago and came across this. The box looked great and thought I'd use it for storing drill bits or chisels. They gave me the box and was told "you figure it out".

I contacted Casella of London England. They don't recognize it. It's not in their references and "definitely no longer under warranty".

The box is well made with really tight box joints. The box appears to be custom-fit for the device.
IMG_2272.jpg

The whole apparatus is about 10" long and built really strong.
IMG_2273.jpg

A series of gears allows the black 4-wing nut on the back to spin the blades at a good speed.
The acme threads on the brass stem controls the overlap of the blades and can be turned while the blades are spinning.
On the front, there is an indication from 25% where the blades are mostly overlapped and cover about 25% of the circle to 100% where the blades are almost completely closed.
IMG_2278.jpg

Markings indicate:
Casella London
Made in England
No 28

If you've ever seen or used one of these, I'd love to know where, what and how it was used.
I emailed Casella London and received a pleasant response - but they have no idea what it is.

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2275.jpg
  • IMG_2271.jpg
  • IMG_2274.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 11:24 PM

"definitely no longer under warranty"

:rofl2:

Very neat piece. The company seemed to be big into wind speed measurement, does this make any breeze when turned? Wonder if it's a tester for their meters?

#3 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 04:28 AM

I hope Alan is on the right track.Definitely a unique instrument. I still can't pick just part of a post and respond but the company's reply that it is no longer under warranty is PRICELESS !
  • motobreeder said thank you

#4 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 09:37 PM

MH81, thanks for the suggestion - the blades are flat - no way to catch or create any wind.

A total guess - but I'm wondering if it measures light or shading. Just seemed to be built a bit excessive for that.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 10:19 PM

If it was more specifically operated than by a human, I would say it's some sort of aperture light control, but why spin it? And why by hand.

I did a little more looking, and they built some things for measuring wind velocity in mines. Anyone think of a use for underground?

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 11:02 AM

No idea Dwayne, unless something is missing and that is an innards to whatever its supposed to be??

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 12:03 PM

...I would say it's some sort of aperture light control, but why spin it? And why by hand...

The spinning part makes sense to me in the function of a light aperture. If you've ever looked through a spinning fan, you know that you can see through it, but at a diminished quality and "brightness". The more blades the fan has, the more diminished the image that you see. That's because there is less light passing through and therefore less light for your eyes to process into an image. Perhaps it was used for viewing bright light sources or areas inside a furnace (as through a porthole) to make the light levels safer for the viewer. As to the why by hand...I can only surmise that a handheld or portable power source was impractically large or totally unavailable at the time of manufacture. These are just some ideas. I have no clue if I'm even close though LOL!

#8 mike165 OFFLINE  

mike165

• Member No: 2973
  • 6 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 06:09 AM

my thinking is it would it would be to take a measurenent of particals in the air. filtering the light through the blades at different levels showing the particles.