• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Lalo OFFLINE  

Lalo

• Member No: 4913
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 06:06 PM

I was using Firefox. The whole process/website worked swell until I got stuck on the shipping page. Could very well be it. I'll try another browser next time

:luvfirefox:

Edited by Lalo, July 21, 2011 - 10:02 PM.

#17 Lalo OFFLINE  

Lalo

• 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 07:47 PM

Next problem.
I gapped and changed the plugs, replaced fuel filter, air filter & element and did a motor oil & filter change. After the oil change, I wanted to run the motor a little bit to fill the new filter and then top off the oil (before starting on the transmission service)

The problem I'm having now is that the motor won't stay on. It'll always turn over and always start and run (only w/full choke) but then it will turn off every time within a second or two.

The carburetor has two butterflies valves, the top one is the choke and there's another one further inside which I think is the throttle. It's this second valve (which I think is initially closed when starting) which opens up on it's own and kills the engine every time it does.

I can't turn the motor on w/no choke at all. And when it's on, it'll die if I decrease or remove the choke. I don't know if it makes a difference but it has no deck right now and the belt associated with it has no tension and the engine covers are off.

Anyway, there's plenty of fuel in the tank and the fuel filter is pointing in the right direction so I presume it's not a fueling problem. It starts up and runs for a bit, so spark is not a problem; which leaves the air as a possible issue but I can't see what's wrong with it, if it is. I know I'm missing something probably obvious about the process and what's causing the engine to die but I don't know what it is.

#18 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 08:34 PM

If it will run with the choke on but not without, chances are that you have a fuel delivery problem. The carb itself may be the culprit here.
  • Lalo said thank you

#19 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 08:39 PM

sounds to me like it is starving for gas. take the carb off and clean it good, if you can get it to run for a while you can pour some seafoam in the gas to finish cleaning the varnish out of it.
Gimmo
  • Lalo said thank you

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 08:41 PM

Actually, it does sound very much a fuel issue. Verify good flow to the carb, then I would say it's internal in the carb itself.

What you are describing is an engine starving for fuel. If you have to keep the choke on just to get it to run at idle, and then any increase in RPM's causes stalling, it sounds as if there is blockage restricting flow or enough water in the bowl to mess up mixture badly.

You could test this theory by starting it a couple of times the way you have been, then open the choke and spray some carb cleaner in the intake of the carb while someone else turns it over. The tractor will run on the combustibles in the cleaner instead of the gasoline.

I am not intimately versed in this carb, there may be other "common" problems that could cause this, but that is where I would start.

I agree with the above clean out and seafoam approach, probably what you will need to do in the end.
  • Lalo said thank you

#21 Lalo OFFLINE  

Lalo

• 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 08:56 PM

Sounds unanimous and makes sense. My presumption is that something I recently did is causing this since it's never had a starting problem before. I'll look further at the fuel lines and the fuel filter install.

I've been using Seafoam on it for a bit. I helped clear a stutter that it had under no load.

Edited by Lalo, July 21, 2011 - 09:02 PM.

#22 Lalo OFFLINE  

Lalo

• 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 09:55 PM

Yup, lack of fuel it was indeed. In the effort to install this new filter into the old lines, I literally twisted the exit end of the plastic filter pretty much shut :D So the filter visibly had fuel in it, but invisibly had none going out!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
  • MH81 said thank you

#23 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 12:07 AM

Happy to see that GTt did its job and got you going again.

#24 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 04:07 AM

Glad you got it fixed. When you were seeing the throttle opening on it's own that was the governor working to try to speed up the engine.