• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Lalo OFFLINE  

Lalo

• Member No: 4913
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 10:25 PM

First, I want to thank this forum (specifically ducky & Tmo) for providing all the necessary manuals (operators manual, technical manual & parts catalog) to properly care for my 1989 John Deere 316, which I bought early this summer.

Specifically it's an 89 John Deere 316 w/ an Onan & 50" deck. I bought it w/ 870Hrs on the clock, for $700 off a dealer. She was a trade in for a newer JD lawn tractor. She's run and cut very good so far. It's clear that the previous owner had taken her for granted for a while, but you can tell this thing is quite a workhorse. She needs some cosmetic work (not my forte) mostly for rust and paint but looks fine from a distance :smile1:. Now, with the proper manuals finally in hand, I can at least do some maintenance and know exactly what she needs.

All I've done to this point is clean her up, changed the oil and lubed the steering. On tap for this week is a full engine oil/filter change, full transmission fluid/filter change, plus new plugs, fuel and air filters and more lubing as needed. Who knows when the last time any of these were done. At least then I'll be able to get through the rest this season without the anxiety of the unknown.

I welcome any advice or tips. I'm capable mechanically (though time-challenged) but I'm pretty much a newb with lawn tractors.

Question: Where is a good (or best) place to find filters and other maintenance parts for this JD model? I have the all part numbers and specifications for fluids and such but am wondering if there's an other option apart going to the dealer. Is the JD dealer the best/only place to go for genuine parts?

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 12:25 AM

:welcome:to GTTalk, Lalo.

Glad you have gotten the information you needed.

Don't forget to post a picture or two and be sure to log it in the registry.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 04:28 AM

Lalo,:welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 05:08 AM

Welcome to GTtalk Laro , on my 318 for filters I've got them from the local NAPA store but the belts seem to hold up better from JD also the aftermarket blades I bought don't seem quite the same so next ones will be back to JD . Al

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 05:18 AM

Welcome to the forum. I would go to jdparts.com and register there. You can then get access to all the parts diagrams for your 316 and get pricing and availability of parts. I would check the cost of genuine JD parts first before buying from a second source. In particular the hydro filter is a critical component and I would lean towards buying the genuine part from JD. You can specify a dealer and actually order your parts online. I have been refitting a 314 and use JDparts online. I just pick them up at the dealer and there is no shipping charge.
  • Alc and Lalo have said thanks

#6 Lalo OFFLINE  

Lalo

• 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 09:06 PM

Thank you folks. I'll try to get a picture or two soon and add to the registry.

Welcome to the forum. I would go to jdparts.com and register there. You can then get access to all the parts diagrams for your 316 and get pricing and availability of parts. I would check the cost of genuine JD parts first before buying from a second source. In particular the hydro filter is a critical component and I would lean towards buying the genuine part from JD. You can specify a dealer and actually order your parts online. I have been refitting a 314 and use JDparts online. I just pick them up at the dealer and there is no shipping charge.

Thanks Brian! I did just that. I've chosen everything I wanted to buy and specified my local dealer but unfortunately for some reason I can't get past the 'shipping' page and into 'payment'. None are the parts are in stock and I specified 'will pick up order at dealership' but I don't know what the issue is.

#7 gimmodog OFFLINE  

gimmodog

• Member No: 4860
  • 5 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 09:12 PM

you don't pay for it online it will ship to the dealer you specified then you will pay for it there when you pick it up.

#8 Lalo OFFLINE  

Lalo

• 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 11:20 PM

Thanks, that occurred to me also, but I didn't get a confirmation screen or a reference # or something saying what will happen next or what to do next. It looks unfinished. Is that how it normally works?

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 05:30 AM

I've had that problem as well. Sometimes they seem to have IT problems that prevent you from getting a confirmation. I just try again later and it usually works. You may also need to touch bases with your dealership parts department. Because it is the first time you have used the system there may be some acknowledgement required from the dealer. I have a vague recollection of that being the case. I am in Nova Scotia Canada and when I order parts I usually get them in 3 to 4 business days consistently. I have used this 6 or 7 times since I got my 314 in April. Works great for me and is in great contrast to the MF dealers 3-4 weeks delivery on MF parts.

#10 Lalo OFFLINE  

Lalo

• 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 11:06 AM

Thanks Brian. I tried online again this morning but same problem. So I called my dealer and they said they never got the order. The good news is that unlike what JD parts said, they have everything I need in stock. I'll pick them up today after work! Must be some sort of disconnect between the dealer and JD online.

#11 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 11:38 AM

I put a tutorial in the Manual's section, for using JD Parts if you are having any problems. How To Use JD Parts Online Services - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Also, here is another good site for ordering parts. They have all the necessary perishable parts listed, i.e. belts, filters, etc., for each model. They are in fact a JD dealer located in Missouri. Some have said the prices are better at this site than their local dealer - I don't know if that is true or not, but.....Keeping It Green: Your Premier Online Source for all John Deere Parts

Here is my thoughts on using a JD dealer versus aftermarket. First, you know you're getting the right part, made for the right application and it will fit. Second, the quality is usually better and will provide better performance and longevity (especially belts). Don't skimp on belts, JD specs their belts very specifically and they will fit and provide longer lasting service. Thirdly, manufacturers are always observing which parts sell and which will stay on the shelves taking up inventory and storage space. The more you buy from a dealer, the more you are helping to keep a particular part or item from being NLA (No Longer Available). Manufacturers will not keep parts that are not selling in inventory and they will phase those parts out. Deere is always aware of what parts are in demand and which are not. Buying from an outside source will ultimately mean you can't get that part.

Good luck with your new tractor.
  • caseguy, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#12 Lalo OFFLINE  

Lalo

• 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the links, info and advice Tmo! I downloaded your tutorial last night too, and it looks helpful, but it did not address my particular issue with the site.

Hopefully, with all the rest of the parts in by today, the machine will be refreshed and ready for the weekend and I'll have some piece of mind about it.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 01:54 PM

It's nice to hear that your local dealer had all the parts in stock for a 20+ year old tractor. That's one of the things that makes the older 300 series a good choice for a working GT. I'm not sure what the issue is with JDparts online. It works great for me. It has been 5 yrs since I registered so I can't remember the process but it may be worth checking to make sure you have a valid account. Hopefully you will be up and running soon.

#14 Lalo OFFLINE  

Lalo

• 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 09:53 PM

It's nice to hear that your local dealer had all the parts in stock for a 20+ year old tractor. That's one of the things that makes the older 300 series a good choice for a working GT. I'm not sure what the issue is with JDparts online. It works great for me. It has been 5 yrs since I registered so I can't remember the process but it may be worth checking to make sure you have a valid account. Hopefully you will be up and running soon.

Yeah, no kidding! I would have never expected it. As far as the JDparts.com situation, my local JD parts guy said that it was the second complaint he'd gotten about it today, so I'm assuming it's not just me.

#15 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 06:21 AM

On your problem with ordering parts and not being able to get past the "Shipping" page, I had that problem also - but only on Firefox. I switched over to IE and was able to get to the payment page. One thing here is that ordering online with JD Parts will only send an email to your dealer. You have to follow up with him. Here's what I do, I order my parts going through the whole process. Then I call the dealer (they usually know me by name) and let him know I have an order coming in. I asked them to give me a call when the email gets there (if it hasn't yet) and then I find out when he thinks the parts will be in. I usually do a follow up phone call or email with him later. It's good to know your local dealer and for them to know you.