5 replies to this topic

#1 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 08:49 PM

the most powerful garden tractor i have ran. that kt17 series II is a beast. did these tractors originally come with series II engines, or did someone do a swap at some point? i am well aware of the oiling problems that the KT17 series I had, the had a tendency to eat rods since they didnt oil properly on hills. i know the history of the john deere 317 that had that engine. anyways i have always ran single cylinder K series engines and while they were capable they have no where near the power of a KT twin. seems like that tractor can go through anything without hardly slowing down.

#2 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 19, 2011 - 02:12 PM

ktwins are animals. my k532 burns a quart of oil an hour running full bore on my bolens. and even running on one good cylinder it still pulls tows drags anything i can imagine without bogging down. i just rode my cub 122 around today and its nice, but it needs a twin to be a real tractor.

#3 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 03:27 AM

i have a KT17 seriesII on a Sears SS16 and i agree with you, that motor is a monster! i'm very pleased with the power from that motor.

#4 ad356 OFFLINE  

ad356

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3766
  • 9 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted July 21, 2011 - 11:41 PM

i laugh at my neighbor and his little 1000 series mtd built crap cadet. he really seems to think that POS briggs intek really puts out 26 hp. i think i told him he is a fool if he believes that, and to think he paid 1,800 bucks for that POS. if he ever ran a good twin like an onan, KT series, or a kohler magnum twin he would change his mind fast. guy i work for also has a mid 90's sears GT with a kohler magnum 18 twin and i was equally impressed, it wasnt a cub cadet but still a beast of an engine. even a briggs flathead twin is a better engine than allot of junk produced today. i dont know how modern twins are so weak but they are, they can put a twin decal on the side of the "tractor" and people buy it. those engines wont last 1/2 as long as the good stuff.

#5 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 12:36 PM

i don't think the new engines put out the torque that the older engines did. i think thats the big difference, just my opinion though.

#6 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted July 22, 2011 - 02:34 PM

Your opinion is correct